Food Trail

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
Blog Idea
Is there a regional food you could put together the best or or most unique places to get? Youc an be one stop along the trail...or ...?
Idea is from this:
Eat Your Way Across New Mexico's Green Chile Cheeseburger Trail[/h2]article here

Do you have a regional food? Do your guests ask for it or do they even know about it?

Out here, we definitely have regional food and foodies are among the most loyal of B&B guests in the west. So yes, guests do ask for it. And guests who don't ask still get exposed to it and often become fans simply because they've discovered something new.
But I have to say that literally every place I've ever lived or traveled to had regional specialties that are always worth checking out. And B&B innkeepers are usually the best source in town for finding the best.
Edited to add: I LOVE LOVE LOVE New Mexico's green chile cheeseburgers. But I love New Mexico's green chile just about anything.

Do you have a regional food? Do your guests ask for it or do they even know about it?.
Joey Bloggs said:
Do you have a regional food? Do your guests ask for it or do they even know about it?
They all know the biggies...blueberries, lobster & potatoes. Scott did a great map of the lobster shacks last year.

We have pepperoni rolls and at Jimmy's the Rosi.
The Rosi is a sausage sandwich (Jimmy makes the sausage) with your choice of sweet, mild, or hot peppers and a full Rosi is served on a dinner plate. You cannot see the plate for the bun! There is also a small Rosi.
Ramps is a WV food. In this State there is a Festival built around every food, friut, nut, grain......... October is the week-long Buckwheat Festival. We have the Forest Festival, Strawberry, Blackberry, maple, Pumpkin and these are just the ones I can think of in my current semi-comatose state (woke up way too early today and I mean WOKE UP).

We live in the world of blueberries, whitefish, fudge and best of all the pasty (pronounce with the a as in cat). They are basically a circle of pie crust on which one places the filling of diced beef, potatoes, onion, and either rutabaga or carrot. Tradition votes for rutabaga. Much debate goes on as to rutabaga or carrot. It is folded over and the edges are closed( Another source of contention-- to close on the side or over the top.)
Originally they were made as lunches for the miners, which could be kept warm on their lamps, and eaten neatly. Now available in lots of variations, they are hearty and tasty too. I prefer mine with ketchup, but some like them plain, many prefer beef gravy over the top.

We live in the world of blueberries, whitefish, fudge and best of all the pasty (pronounce with the a as in cat). They are basically a circle of pie crust on which one places the filling of diced beef, potatoes, onion, and either rutabaga or carrot. Tradition votes for rutabaga. Much debate goes on as to rutabaga or carrot. It is folded over and the edges are closed( Another source of contention-- to close on the side or over the top.)
Originally they were made as lunches for the miners, which could be kept warm on their lamps, and eaten neatly. Now available in lots of variations, they are hearty and tasty too. I prefer mine with ketchup, but some like them plain, many prefer beef gravy over the top..
Pepperoni rolls were also created for the miners - so could eat as they worked. You were not making tonnage (read $$) if you sat down to eat lunch!

Out here, we definitely have regional food and foodies are among the most loyal of B&B guests in the west. So yes, guests do ask for it. And guests who don't ask still get exposed to it and often become fans simply because they've discovered something new.
But I have to say that literally every place I've ever lived or traveled to had regional specialties that are always worth checking out. And B&B innkeepers are usually the best source in town for finding the best.
Edited to add: I LOVE LOVE LOVE New Mexico's green chile cheeseburgers. But I love New Mexico's green chile just about anything..
Garlic & green chile pistachios. Holy cow. The shipping is atrocious but I have them shipped from NM every year.

Edited to add: I LOVE LOVE LOVE New Mexico's green chile cheeseburgers. But I love New Mexico's green chile just about anything..
Garlic & green chile pistachios. Holy cow. The shipping is atrocious but I have them shipped from NM every year.
Those are some seriously good pistachios. Definitely worth the shipping charge.

Okay I have to ask, are pistachios grown in NM? Why are you getting them from there (other than the specialty seasonings)? This is a need to know question, as I love them.
Remember buying them from little vending machines, like the gumball machines? We used to eat them on the beach in SD. The red food dye all over your hands, they were always the imported pistachios that were red.

Okay I have to ask, are pistachios grown in NM? Why are you getting them from there (other than the specialty seasonings)? This is a need to know question, as I love them.
Remember buying them from little vending machines, like the gumball machines? We used to eat them on the beach in SD. The red food dye all over your hands, they were always the imported pistachios that were red..
Grown right there in NM.
BTW, I loved those red pistachios as a kid, too. I remember being totally surprised the first time I saw a pistachio without the red dye. I thought they were naturally red.

Remember buying them from little vending machines, like the gumball machines? We used to eat them on the beach in SD. The red food dye all over your hands, they were always the imported pistachios that were red..
Grown right there in NM.
BTW, I loved those red pistachios as a kid, too. I remember being totally surprised the first time I saw a pistachio without the red dye. I thought they were naturally red.
Innkeeper To Go said:
Grown right there in NM.
You don't say!! I never knew. I used to pick pinon nuts near the Grand Canyon, still have that road trip to take the family on.
Can someone pin point for me where they are grown and the best place to buy them, PLEEEEEEEASE!!!!

I don't know where Mortie gets hers, but I know these are really good.
I recommend trying both the regular green chile (shelled) and the garlic and green chile (unshelled) to get the full sense of the difference in flavors.

I was just on the phone with my Mother as their favorite to die-for green chili burger place is in
Mesilla, NM and that is one of the locations on the link you gave me.[/h1]She got in big trouble! She has now marked it for Pistachios. :)

Yes, grown there. We had them when we were out there and I have to keep ordering them.
I do remember getting them out of the machines! You got a lot fewer nuts than you ever got any kind of candy and they always cost more.

Yes, grown there. We had them when we were out there and I have to keep ordering them.
I do remember getting them out of the machines! You got a lot fewer nuts than you ever got any kind of candy and they always cost more.
Morticia said:
Some of the little machines had them split into two sections, the imported from Turkry red dye or the white ones - the red ones were sometimes stale.
My parents drive through there twice a year, so now they know. Mom is just overwhelmed by the green chilies and jewelry and artsy stuff, now she knows what to get me for my bday!
chef.gif

Morticia said:
Some of the little machines had them split into two sections, the imported from Turkry red dye or the white ones - the red ones were sometimes stale.
My parents drive through there twice a year, so now they know. Mom is just overwhelmed by the green chilies and jewelry and artsy stuff, now she knows what to get me for my bday!
chef.gif

OK, am I the only one or did you feel like it was really exotic to eat pistachios from Turkey or Iran? And pomegranates? It was like a great adventure to eat these things!
I always got the Zenobia pistachios. Even the name was exotic!
Oh, had a laugh about this:
For over 80 Years, Nu ts on the N et has provided gourmet, quality nuts to our customers.
Really? 80 years on the net?

Morticia said:
chef.gif

OK, am I the only one or did you feel like it was really exotic to eat pistachios from Turkey or Iran? And pomegranates? It was like a great adventure to eat these things!
For over 80 Years, Nu ts on the N et has provided gourmet, quality nuts to our customers.
Oh my god, when I was a kid I thought it was exotic to eat french toast. Don't get me started on pomegranates.

Morticia said:
chef.gif

Oh my god, when I was a kid I thought it was exotic to eat french toast. Don't get me started on pomegranates.
Nope. French toast was pretty standard fare at my house. I had to buy my own pistachios and pomegranates (Chinese apples when I was a kid). And you have to figure I grew up in a pretty major city where it was nothing to walk by stores where nothing was in English and meats were hanging up outside. And I still thought these were exotic. But I was fairly old before I ate anything outside of the usual 'meat and potatoes' or 'spaghetti' kinds of dinners. My SON introduced me to kiwis when he was in college! Mine was not an adventurous food family.
When I first saw un-dyed pistachios I thought they were fake! They were, unfortunately, stale so I didn't like them anyway. And now I haven't seen a red pistachio in I don't know how long.

Back