Foodie Road Trips

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
Have you ever taken a foodie road trip?
Watched the Food Network or cook offs and said "I have to go there!"
We had a joint blog about it. But look at this Frommer's list of "Southern Food: 10 Restaurants off the Eaten Path"
Which kills me as I sent our two couples on Harley's from Wisconsin to this VERY Snappy's Lunch Counter in Mayberry (Mt Airy) just yesterday!
1276637042.jpg

If any place near you have been on these diner, dives and drive ins type shows I hope you add them to your blog and website!

Oh my gosh we do foodie road trips all the time. We plan our vacations around places we would like to eat. We had a guest tell us about a place in Savanna many years ago and we planed a vacation to go there so we could eat there. It was Mrs. Wilks Boarding House. We loved it so much we went there on a vacation with our best friends and ate there again. It was the talk of the whole vacation. We also ate a Paula Deens but Mrs. Wilks Boarding House was way better.
We have been to 2 places from the food network.

I wish we had something like that to blog about around here. When we took our vacation in April, we looked up all the DDD spots along the way. We only got to a couple of them, but it was fun.
Our favorite spot was Spike's family's burger joint in DC. Spike's been on Top Chef a couple of times. The burgers we had were FABULOUS as well as the fries (rosemary). It's ruined me for all other burgers now.

We had guests here who were going to go to one of the DDD places on their way home. They were all excited. My opinion? Meh. SO many other places that are better. The food was blah, the service was spotty and the interior was cold, as in freezing.

I don't watch DDD more than once in a blue moon, but I do check the Roadfood book and website when I'm traveling - I've found some great local places and only had one miss. We went to the Hominy Grill in Charleston, SC after reading about in the Roadfood column in Gourmet magazine - now we go back any time we are there.

Back