Foothills couple embrace innkeeping after all

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
"It's a great life, but it's busy, and it's not really for a young person," Mark says. "You need a lot of skills, and you have to be committed to a place."
JB - Interesting comment, I would say the workload is not for an older person either. ha ha
The website and color scheme I like a lot! The room rate SPAN is interesting though, that is quite a span. That's one way to discourage one night stays.

Interesting story. It would definitely behoove aspirings to note that they hired an innkeeper while one spouse kept a lucrative job.

"that happy little notion of the tranquil, romantic innkeeper life."
LOL! The only romance is in the guest rooms and the inn, not the innkeepers life! Notion IS A GREAT word for it. They seem to understand how it all works pretty well!
"This is not a place for gingham and doilies. "Country elegance" is a better description" I am so tempted to send them a doilie. :)

"that happy little notion of the tranquil, romantic innkeeper life."
LOL! The only romance is in the guest rooms and the inn, not the innkeepers life! Notion IS A GREAT word for it. They seem to understand how it all works pretty well!
"This is not a place for gingham and doilies. "Country elegance" is a better description" I am so tempted to send them a doilie. :)

End all doily discrimination and free the gnomes! lol!
teeth_smile.gif

This is a great article. Thanks for finding it. Finally, a reporter that gets his facts straight and a innkeeper couple who tells it like it is...both positive and negative.

"It's a great life, but it's busy, and it's not really for a young person," Mark says. "You need a lot of skills, and you have to be committed to a place."
JB - Interesting comment, I would say the workload is not for an older person either. ha ha
The website and color scheme I like a lot! The room rate SPAN is interesting though, that is quite a span. That's one way to discourage one night stays..
Interesting...they have a regular rate for each room on a specific date for a 2 night minimum. If people want to book that room for 1 night, it's $50 more expensive and you must call to make the reservation.
I'd love to be able to do that, but it just wouldn't fly here.

It's also interesting that their blog is almost all reviews from BB com or Trip adv isor. As a sidetrack is that good, bad or neutral?

It's also interesting that their blog is almost all reviews from BB com or Trip adv isor. As a sidetrack is that good, bad or neutral?.
Sounds lacking in imagination to me just repeated reviews? boring I can read them on the review site if I am interested surely a blog should be about personality? correct me if im wrong?

It's also interesting that their blog is almost all reviews from BB com or Trip adv isor. As a sidetrack is that good, bad or neutral?.
Innkeep said:
It's also interesting that their blog is almost all reviews from BB com or Trip adv isor. As a sidetrack is that good, bad or neutral?
I was going to mention that earlier but I didn't want to be snarky. I think it's a waste of valuable space. My guess is they don't want the reader to leave and go look at the review site for fear they will find another place to stay. So, in that case, skip the reviews altogether and get some important stuff in that valuable real estate.
BUT, if you look at their site, they have someone doing PR for them and maybe that's all the PR person wants to do. It's easy and they can charge the innkeepers for the privilege of cutting and pasting. (OK, that was snarky enough!)

nice site. the blog they can keep. i prefer chatty, informative, newsy, folksy, or soemthing ... anything ... that reflects the innkeepers' personality. not just reviews. oh well. that's my style. my preference. maybe i'm snarky, too.

I have seen many blogs that only advertise specials or reviews. I think they don't "get it" and only add blog because the powers that be tell them they should have one. I discussed this recently with innkeepers I met at a function and I came back with a fresh appreciation of y'all and your expertise and wisdom . :)

nice site. the blog they can keep. i prefer chatty, informative, newsy, folksy, or soemthing ... anything ... that reflects the innkeepers' personality. not just reviews. oh well. that's my style. my preference. maybe i'm snarky, too..
seashanty said:
nice site. the blog they can keep. i prefer chatty, informative, newsy, folksy, or soemthing ... anything ... that reflects the innkeepers' personality. not just reviews. oh well. that's my style. my preference. maybe i'm snarky, too.
a blog is one sure place to show a bit of personality, and those who are interested can thoroughly enjoy the innkeepers. I had noticed a couple months ago that many many Inn blogs do not even say who the innkeepers are, no bio, nothing quirky or funny, nothing but "business as usual."
Again, back to meeting innkeepers who lacked personality, humor or anything interesting. I thought how I would DREAD, yes DREAD having them welcome me to their inn and cook my breakfast! There was no kinship with them, which was a real shame, as I have some pretty good stories from 7 years in this business! Like right now, jeez louise the saga of the dead mouse continues and has infiltrated the inn. I kid you not when I say DH has been under the house, with saws, drills, cut out drywall, installed barriers and we have all doors shut to contain the stench. You would not believe this...if we can just get through this last room tonight and they are gone all day, thankfully!
wow.gif

nice site. the blog they can keep. i prefer chatty, informative, newsy, folksy, or soemthing ... anything ... that reflects the innkeepers' personality. not just reviews. oh well. that's my style. my preference. maybe i'm snarky, too..
seashanty said:
a blog is one sure place to show a bit of personality, and those who are interested can thoroughly enjoy the innkeepers. I had noticed a couple months ago that many many Inn blogs do not even say who the innkeepers are, no bio, nothing quirky or funny, nothing but "business as usual."
Again, back to meeting innkeepers who lacked personality, humor or anything interesting. I thought how I would DREAD, yes DREAD having them welcome me to their inn and cook my breakfast! There was no kinship with them, which was a real shame, as I have some pretty good stories from 7 years in this business! Like right now, jeez louise the saga of the dead mouse continues and has infiltrated the inn. I kid you not when I say DH has been under the house, with saws, drills, cut out drywall, installed barriers and we have all doors shut to contain the stench. You would not believe this...if we can just get through this last room tonight and they are gone all day, thankfully!
wow.gif

I've met innkeepers like that, too...all business, but no fun. Every blog post, if they have a blog, is about how you should come and stay. I'm always afraid of becoming one of them.

seashanty said:
wow.gif

I've met innkeepers like that, too...all business, but no fun. Every blog post, if they have a blog, is about how you should come and stay. I'm always afraid of becoming one of them.
Morticia said:
Yeah a barrel of laughs...well here ya go, after DH tore up the wood flooring in the closet finally and found an old vent duct that was buried in the basement and filled with insulation, there was old lino there as well and in this half foot section way at the back he found the culprit, this has been an all day project, I mean ALL DAY (this began last night) and the decomposing stench has been awful! Inside the floor between the floor joists and the wall is cousin "It."
I had to go apologize to the guests and let them know we had dead animal removal and DH was going to be using a saw now.
Possum and babies, all dead, all reeking. He had on a mask and gloves and I heard him heaving in there when he finally got them out. It is just a lovely scent...oh yeah. Disinfectant, bleach and lysol combined to make a lethal closet on top of the decaying smell. (Sorry no images of the deceased here)
ClosetMay092010_0.JPG

lrg_Closet_Duct_filled%20with_Insulation.JPG

seashanty said:
wow.gif

Morticia said:
Yeah a barrel of laughs...well here ya go, after DH tore up the wood flooring in the closet finally and found an old vent duct that was buried in the basement and filled with insulation, there was old lino there as well and in this half foot section way at the back he found the culprit, this has been an all day project, I mean ALL DAY (this began last night) and the decomposing stench has been awful! Inside the floor between the floor joists and the wall is cousin "It."
I had to go apologize to the guests and let them know we had dead animal removal and DH was going to be using a saw now.
Possum and babies, all dead, all reeking. He had on a mask and gloves and I heard him heaving in there when he finally got them out. It is just a lovely scent...oh yeah. Disinfectant, bleach and lysol combined to make a lethal closet on top of the decaying smell. (Sorry no images of the deceased here)
ClosetMay092010_0.JPG

Very interesting floor you've got there...looks like my old house in VT where it was just one layer on top of another.
Soooo sorry poor old DH had to go thru all of that. And really sorry it looks like he found it under your bed. Ewww. Any idea how they got in there?

seashanty said:
wow.gif

Morticia said:
ClosetMay092010_0.JPG

OMG! What a project! Your poor dh and YOU, too! What a way to spend Mother's Day. :-(

I am so terribly sorry you and DH had to endure that. Animal can get in the strangest places and then cannot figure out how they got in. I remember my quest with the woodchuck under my porch - I was fortunate enough to see him come out so i could block it. You have the extra opportunity due to location to be a haven for wildlife. May this be the last time you ever have to deal with such things.

We felt awful because we saw a rat and put down poison but it went under next door's floor to die! so they had an awful stench no idea where it was comming from and had to have all the floor up. But we couldn't be sure it was the same one or anything to do with us so we kept quiet. The smell was terrible though!

Back