for all who LIST their amenities, I salute you!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 26

Reaction score
I'm staying at a lovely old inn in bar harbor for a wedding this weekend and had to email, do you have an iron available? Are their blowdryers in the room.,by the way is there an elevator or ground floor room avail for my sister (uses 2 canes)what time is checkout/in? No confirmation email. So odd!

BH is the worst. You can go thru 5 pages of non-info before you find out that the place is only open 4 months of the year.

Amenities are something to crow about, and a listing can be very helpful to guests making travel plans. Just like people want to know your rates, they also want to know what they're getting for that money.

For me I won't list the givens, like ironing board and hair dryer, to me that is like saying we have towels. No confirmation? What the heck is wrong with people! This seems more common than not.
I won a one night stay at a B&B and when I called they said just let us know. I said "Will you send me a gift certificate?" they said no, just let us know. Well I CAN'T OPERATE THAT WAY! I told them I will need an email from them stating I won or something so I can have it here to "remind me" for a later date.
Phone # on caller id was a name, not a business, no online reservations, even the email was an aol or something...not an INN email address.
Innkeepers on this forum are so far ahead of the average inn it isn't even funny!
cheers.gif

For me I won't list the givens, like ironing board and hair dryer, to me that is like saying we have towels. No confirmation? What the heck is wrong with people! This seems more common than not.
I won a one night stay at a B&B and when I called they said just let us know. I said "Will you send me a gift certificate?" they said no, just let us know. Well I CAN'T OPERATE THAT WAY! I told them I will need an email from them stating I won or something so I can have it here to "remind me" for a later date.
Phone # on caller id was a name, not a business, no online reservations, even the email was an aol or something...not an INN email address.
Innkeepers on this forum are so far ahead of the average inn it isn't even funny!
cheers.gif
this is why i am on here rather than bedposts which is a similar UK forum - i check in there but find a lot of people on there just so far behind! ie questions asked - do you think I should have we web site? do you think I should have online booking? I mean these are the basics!!!!!! up there with should I provide toilet roll?
This is an example of a web site which frankly needs a lot of work! - [link removed by request - swirt]
This is actually a B&B but as a customer is it a B&B? is it a vacation rental? how do I book? and so on.
I want conversations with people who kick my up the arse to do better not people who are still in the dark ages. If you are a very small homestay doing it for pocket money thats fine but if you are actually running a business etc

cheers.gif
Number 1 call question the day of arrival? Do you have an iron/ironing board/hair dryer?
Yes, that info is on the website. It is NOT an absolute that those things will be in the room. I've rarely seen an iron & ironing board in the room.

this place just gives a range of prices.and moved me to a different building between thurs nite when I requested a confirm email (because they just had 1 nite for me and i'm staying 2 ) and fri when I checked in. The staff is ultra nice, but I felt like a royal pita with all my questions.

cheers.gif
Number 1 call question the day of arrival? Do you have an iron/ironing board/hair dryer?
Yes, that info is on the website. It is NOT an absolute that those things will be in the room. I've rarely seen an iron & ironing board in the room.
Madeleine said:
Every hotel I have ever been in has an iron and ironing board in the room. It is standard drill. At a B&B it may not be in every room, but there is always one available. If not, listen up people, get an iron and ironing board in your rooms!

yes, iron available please! My dress is wrinkled even though it rode up here on a hanger

yes, iron available please! My dress is wrinkled even though it rode up here on a hanger.
seashanty said:
yes, iron available please! My dress is wrinkled even though it rode up here on a hanger
Now the one place you don't get an iron and need one desperately is on a cruise ship!

cheers.gif
Madeleine said:
Every hotel I have ever been in has an iron and ironing board in the room. It is standard drill. At a B&B it may not be in every room, but there is always one available. If not, listen up people, get an iron and ironing board in your rooms!
OK, if it is standard drill then no one would ask. These guests probably experienced a place that wasn't set up to the 'best practices' so now they ask.
It's one reason I let them know the detached bath comes with bathrobes. Saves packing them.

cheers.gif
Madeleine said:
OK, if it is standard drill then no one would ask. These guests probably experienced a place that wasn't set up to the 'best practices' so now they ask.
It's one reason I let them know the detached bath comes with bathrobes. Saves packing them.
in UK hotels its not standard to have an iron and ironing board in every room but it is to have one on request - this is the same in B&B. We have one in every room as when I worked in a large hotel it was one of my jobs to dish our ironing boards but then when you ran out you had to remember where you had been and then ask for them back. It was also a pita to drag an iron and board all round a 6 story building.
We have these in every wardrobe - http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/50119054/
hangs up flat buy its own hook in the wardrobe so very space saving and at $8 not too bad price wise either.

Speaking of irons and hairdryers...how many of you provide regular hair dryers such as one would purchase for personal use vs. the "hotel" type where it is attached via the cord to the wall/outlet with it's own "docking" station. Such as these...
holiday_inn_express_hotel_hair_dryer.jpg

I have opinions both pro and con but I'm interested to hear what you all think.
I have also stayed in places with a scant listing of amenities...they tell you about the pool, the thread count, the business center, but not about basic do I pack this or that things. Makes me nuts and drives phone calls to a innkeeper or staff member, all of which could be avoided if they just told me up front. I unlike many, I actually read that stuff first, thus avoiding the phone call and being told, "Yes, it is listed on our web site, why wouldn't we have it."

We are a shorts, t-shirt and hiking boots kind of place, but we do let guests know that there is an iron and ironing board available if needed. Occasionally, we get guests who are attending a wedding or funeral that need it. In the four years we've been open, I think they have been used twice.

Speaking of irons and hairdryers...how many of you provide regular hair dryers such as one would purchase for personal use vs. the "hotel" type where it is attached via the cord to the wall/outlet with it's own "docking" station. Such as these...

I have also stayed in places with a scant listing of amenities...they tell you about the pool, the thread count, the business center, but not about basic do I pack this or that things. Makes me nuts and drives phone calls to a innkeeper or staff member, all of which could be avoided if they just told me up front. I unlike many, I actually read that stuff first, thus avoiding the phone call and being told, "Yes, it is listed on our web site, why wouldn't we have it.".
the only problem with these is when they break they are a pain to replace and are expensive - id rather just but a bunch of cheap ones from wallmart and if they walk its not too big a loss. We loose about 1 a year which isn't much (husbands pack them up thinking they belong to the wife)

cheers.gif
this is why i am on here rather than bedposts which is a similar UK forum - i check in there but find a lot of people on there just so far behind! ie questions asked - do you think I should have we web site? do you think I should have online booking? I mean these are the basics!!!!!! up there with should I provide toilet roll?
This is an example of a web site which frankly needs a lot of work! - [link removed by request - swirt]
This is actually a B&B but as a customer is it a B&B? is it a vacation rental? how do I book? and so on.
I want conversations with people who kick my up the arse to do better not people who are still in the dark ages. If you are a very small homestay doing it for pocket money thats fine but if you are actually running a business etc
In the first sentence of their website they misspell theater and center (twice)!
;-)

I have also stayed in places with a scant listing of amenities...they tell you about the pool, the thread count, the business center, but not about basic do I pack this or that things. Makes me nuts and drives phone calls to a innkeeper or staff member, all of which could be avoided if they just told me up front. I unlike many, I actually read that stuff first, thus avoiding the phone call and being told, "Yes, it is listed on our web site, why wouldn't we have it.".
Weaver said:

I bought the docking station kind like in the photo. The more I can hang on the wall, the more room guests have for their own stuff on the countertop.

Personal hair dryers here as it allows someone to be drying hair in the room while other person is in the bathroom shaving or whatever.

cheers.gif
In the first sentence of their website they misspell theater and center (twice)!
;-)
Arkansawyer said:
;-)
lol, being in Canada, we spell it 'centre' and 'theatre'.

Back