for all who LIST their amenities, I salute you!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Speaking of irons and hairdryers...how many of you provide regular hair dryers such as one would purchase for personal use vs. the "hotel" type where it is attached via the cord to the wall/outlet with it's own "docking" station. Such as these...
holiday_inn_express_hotel_hair_dryer.jpg

I have opinions both pro and con but I'm interested to hear what you all think.
I have also stayed in places with a scant listing of amenities...they tell you about the pool, the thread count, the business center, but not about basic do I pack this or that things. Makes me nuts and drives phone calls to a innkeeper or staff member, all of which could be avoided if they just told me up front. I unlike many, I actually read that stuff first, thus avoiding the phone call and being told, "Yes, it is listed on our web site, why wouldn't we have it.".
12 years ago when we bought an existing b&b, there were no hair dryers in the rooms. The guest had to ask. First thing I did was to buy the kind shown in your picture and mount them. They have been wonderful and all are still working.
A couple years later, we took a trip and stayed in everything from a budget hotel to a swanky one (no b&b) and in each and every room no matter the room rate, there was an iron and ironing board. When we came back home, we installed in all the closets this hanger and bought cheap irons and mini ironing boards.
I figure if a cheap a** motel provides it in your room, then it should be standard fare in a b&b room. The upside of having these things at guest's fingertips is that they don't have to ask for anything and I don't get disturbed during my off hours by these simple requests. It's a win, win.

Speaking of irons and hairdryers...how many of you provide regular hair dryers such as one would purchase for personal use vs. the "hotel" type where it is attached via the cord to the wall/outlet with it's own "docking" station. Such as these...

I have also stayed in places with a scant listing of amenities...they tell you about the pool, the thread count, the business center, but not about basic do I pack this or that things. Makes me nuts and drives phone calls to a innkeeper or staff member, all of which could be avoided if they just told me up front. I unlike many, I actually read that stuff first, thus avoiding the phone call and being told, "Yes, it is listed on our web site, why wouldn't we have it.".
12 years ago when we bought an existing b&b, there were no hair dryers in the rooms. The guest had to ask. First thing I did was to buy the kind shown in your picture and mount them. They have been wonderful and all are still working.
A couple years later, we took a trip and stayed in everything from a budget hotel to a swanky one (no b&b) and in each and every room no matter the room rate, there was an iron and ironing board. When we came back home, we installed in all the closets this hanger and bought cheap irons and mini ironing boards.
I figure if a cheap a** motel provides it in your room, then it should be standard fare in a b&b room. The upside of having these things at guest's fingertips is that they don't have to ask for anything and I don't get disturbed during my off hours by these simple requests. It's a win, win.
Breakfast Diva said:
We're so cheap we don't even have closets! We do provide an iron & board but it's in the hallway tucked in a corner hanging from one of those holders you have. I would like to not have guests have to ask, but there's just no room at the inn.
I will mention that when we bought the place there was a big burn mark on one carpet in the exact shape of an iron. And, we've had guests put the hot iron face down on the slate tiles in the entryway.
Not enough people iron any more for them to really understand how an iron works.

Weaver said:

I bought the docking station kind like in the photo. The more I can hang on the wall, the more room guests have for their own stuff on the countertop.
I have personal hair dryers in each bathroom. Hmmm, never thought about the drying hair in the room. Next trip out and about - another hair dryer and will move the one in the drawer of the wash stand in the shared bath into a room. The room with pvt bath has the hair dryer hanging with the robes.

Breakfast Diva said:
We're so cheap we don't even have closets! We do provide an iron & board but it's in the hallway tucked in a corner hanging from one of those holders you have. I would like to not have guests have to ask, but there's just no room at the inn.
I will mention that when we bought the place there was a big burn mark on one carpet in the exact shape of an iron. And, we've had guests put the hot iron face down on the slate tiles in the entryway.
Not enough people iron any more for them to really understand how an iron works.
That is why I prefer to have them ask - and I will press anything they need pressed.

Weaver said:

I bought the docking station kind like in the photo. The more I can hang on the wall, the more room guests have for their own stuff on the countertop.
I have personal hair dryers in each bathroom. Hmmm, never thought about the drying hair in the room. Next trip out and about - another hair dryer and will move the one in the drawer of the wash stand in the shared bath into a room. The room with pvt bath has the hair dryer hanging with the robes.
gillumhouse said:
Getting the hair dryer out of the sahred bath is an excellent idea. If I were hopping from foot to foot out in the hallway and I heard a hair dryer start up I might not be responsible for the consequences!

For me I won't list the givens, like ironing board and hair dryer, to me that is like saying we have towels. No confirmation? What the heck is wrong with people! This seems more common than not.
I won a one night stay at a B&B and when I called they said just let us know. I said "Will you send me a gift certificate?" they said no, just let us know. Well I CAN'T OPERATE THAT WAY! I told them I will need an email from them stating I won or something so I can have it here to "remind me" for a later date.
Phone # on caller id was a name, not a business, no online reservations, even the email was an aol or something...not an INN email address.
Innkeepers on this forum are so far ahead of the average inn it isn't even funny!
cheers.gif
For me the most asked question of a guest a day before arrival - do you have hair dryers in the room? Yes, it is stated in the list of amenities but of course no one reads. We keep a couple of irons/boards available but do not have them taking up prime space in their rooms. I want clutter free as much as possible and this is one thing that gets little use except for weddings etc.
I have been to countless places with no hairdryer so I understand those calls.
My current amenity list is in sentance form, but as we redo our site, that is one thing that will be listed in bullet format. I want it easier to read, less wordy!

Okay I am going to make a new thread about this topic, sorta...

I don't have a good place in all my bathrooms to hang blow dryers. Also, I learned through a friend that her husband took a lot of time in the bathroom and if she wanted to get her hair dry, she needed to do it out in the room! (Another reason why a mirror in the mirror is a good thing to have.) So, we had portable blow dryers with a good wattage. (Some of the small ones can be pretty weak.) I also had extras on hand, just in case someone needed it and they were requested occasionally. Also had a curling iron just in case.
We also had iron/ironing board/ironing water spray bottle in each room.
But, we had a lot of guests here that came for specific events that occurred every week. If we were a rural getaway place, the needs might be different.

When we were designing all those years ago, one of the solutions we came up to with avoid the "hotel" feel" was a complimentary laundry center. It has been one of our most used and appreciated amenities. The iron and the board are part of it. In addition, guests don't ask. Somehow the term "laundry center" conveys that there will be one.
Powerful unattached hairdryers provide maximum flexibility for our guests.

Back