For the first time I said "No"

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
we have two lines and a mobile each so if a guest is rambling on we ring in so the other one
can say oh sorry the phone is going I have to go and dash away!

we have two lines and a mobile each so if a guest is rambling on we ring in so the other one
can say oh sorry the phone is going I have to go and dash away!.
regular_smile.gif
Good move!

Rupes you nailed it and explained why this biz is so different to other small biz. People think it is not different, it is. We not only work in our homes, but our business SLEEPS in our home. So it is not the same as an accountant who has clients in their home in season or weekly or even daily. They go home afterward.
It does wear you out. Last night when DH got home from work, it was 7pm and the smoke detector started chirping in a guest room. Fair enough, he grabbed his ladder and batteries and went up there and was in there chatting (very nice guests) for a half hour. THAT WAS MY HALF HOUR! THAT WAS OUR KIDS HALF HOUR. People don't get this, we require family time or we will self implode.
Others read this and don't get what the fuss is all about, so what take a few minutes and show them the rooms. We don't have weekends off to sleep in or mow the lawns when we want to, everything must be done, always done.
Not complaining, just explaining. When we explain people think we are griping, it is not a gripe, we shouldn't say it is 100% fun all the time to run an inn. It is exhausting. Who pays? The ones you love pay, unless you set the boundaries and KEEP the boundaries.
Kids go back to school tomorrow. I will reinvent these boundaries and work harder to maintain them, like self checkins after hours. I have been lax, as always and allow these boundaries to be bent.
Time to kick it up a notch here at this B&B. :).
Thank you
teeth_smile.gif
My heart hurts for your lost half hour...I really, really get it. We get SO LITTLE time for ourselves, and they just want to take and take and take...and I GET IT, they are coming here for US as much as anything...but they all seem so needy right now.
I don't want to feel like I am griping. For goodness' sake I just had a 5 day vacation 2 weeks ago. But for some reason it is all just dragging me down this week.
We are busy, a lot of repeaters and for some reason they are all being just more demanding than ever. One BANGED on our kitchen door yesterday, the dog goes flying and barking, we were working on something on the computer together and it made our hearts' race, we jump up to see what could possibly be wrong...what did he want? To ask "What time the restaurants opened in town?"...it was 5:30 PM...and he's been here THREE TIMES BEFORE!!!! He just wanted a friend. You are renting the room buddy, NOT US.
Rupert said:
He just wanted a friend. You are renting the room buddy, NOT US.
I went to deliver some brochures to a restaurant yesterday. They were slammed. They have 2 dining rooms, one which was closed to set up for dinner, the other packed, outside dining packed, line waiting for seats.
The person I went to see is the manager, she was bussing tables. I waited by the hostess stand to see if anyone would come out of the kitchen, no luck but 3 diners came and asked me questions (all of which I answered). I went to the bar to see if someone could find the person I wanted. 3 more diners asked for: a look at a menu (done), when the tables would be ready ('I'll check on that') and did he have to wait in line to sit at the bar ('No, go help yourself.').
I finally had to tell them I didn't work there. I didn't seat them, altho I would have had I known it was ok. One guy in line said, 'You ought to work here, you gave us more attention than anyone else did.'
Yes, guests everywhere are looking for simple acknowldegment. All the servers or bartenders had to do was walk over to where everyone was standing and acknowledge they were standing there and that it would be 'about 20 minutes' for a table. NO ONE did that.
On my way out I offered to set up the evening dining room if it would help them out.
I totally get being dead tired with the interaction and wanting 2 minutes' peace & quiet. The way I look at it (and possibly why little things bother me a lot) is that when guests are in the house, I am 'on.' Bell rings, I should answer it. (I don't always. Sometimes I just want 2 seconds and if it's 1 PM and I'm full, they have to wait until 3 PM.) Otherwise, we're here to help. We get a lot of time off in the winter.
Yes, people who are in this town who do not subscribe to that same philosophy are just as full. It's just how I am.
BUT, these are not people who are looking for simple acknowledgment. They are people who have already had an inordinate amount of our time. It's like you can't win, we are personable because that's how we just are, but nothing is ever enough.
When we traveled the other week I was struck once again by how MUCH we give, give, give here...WAY beyond anything you're getting at any hotel, restaurant, bar, airline, etc. I think that's why I love the b&b newbies so much, they are awestruck by how personal and warm the hospitality is. So what changes when they become repeaters? They just keep trying to take, take, take.

Rupes you nailed it and explained why this biz is so different to other small biz. People think it is not different, it is. We not only work in our homes, but our business SLEEPS in our home. So it is not the same as an accountant who has clients in their home in season or weekly or even daily. They go home afterward.
It does wear you out. Last night when DH got home from work, it was 7pm and the smoke detector started chirping in a guest room. Fair enough, he grabbed his ladder and batteries and went up there and was in there chatting (very nice guests) for a half hour. THAT WAS MY HALF HOUR! THAT WAS OUR KIDS HALF HOUR. People don't get this, we require family time or we will self implode.
Others read this and don't get what the fuss is all about, so what take a few minutes and show them the rooms. We don't have weekends off to sleep in or mow the lawns when we want to, everything must be done, always done.
Not complaining, just explaining. When we explain people think we are griping, it is not a gripe, we shouldn't say it is 100% fun all the time to run an inn. It is exhausting. Who pays? The ones you love pay, unless you set the boundaries and KEEP the boundaries.
Kids go back to school tomorrow. I will reinvent these boundaries and work harder to maintain them, like self checkins after hours. I have been lax, as always and allow these boundaries to be bent.
Thank you
teeth_smile.gif
My heart hurts for your lost half hour...I really, really get it. We get SO LITTLE time for ourselves, and they just want to take and take and take...and I GET IT, they are coming here for US as much as anything...but they all seem so needy right now.
I don't want to feel like I am griping. For goodness' sake I just had a 5 day vacation 2 weeks ago. But for some reason it is all just dragging me down this week.
We are busy, a lot of repeaters and for some reason they are all being just more demanding than ever. One BANGED on our kitchen door yesterday, the dog goes flying and barking, we were working on something on the computer together and it made our hearts' race, we jump up to see what could possibly be wrong...what did he want? To ask "What time the restaurants opened in town?"...it was 5:30 PM...and he's been here THREE TIMES BEFORE!!!! He just wanted a friend. You are renting the room buddy, NOT US.
Rupert said:
I went to deliver some brochures to a restaurant yesterday. They were slammed. They have 2 dining rooms, one which was closed to set up for dinner, the other packed, outside dining packed, line waiting for seats.
The person I went to see is the manager, she was bussing tables. I waited by the hostess stand to see if anyone would come out of the kitchen, no luck but 3 diners came and asked me questions (all of which I answered). I went to the bar to see if someone could find the person I wanted. 3 more diners asked for: a look at a menu (done), when the tables would be ready ('I'll check on that') and did he have to wait in line to sit at the bar ('No, go help yourself.').
I finally had to tell them I didn't work there. I didn't seat them, altho I would have had I known it was ok. One guy in line said, 'You ought to work here, you gave us more attention than anyone else did.'
Yes, guests everywhere are looking for simple acknowldegment. All the servers or bartenders had to do was walk over to where everyone was standing and acknowledge they were standing there and that it would be 'about 20 minutes' for a table. NO ONE did that.
On my way out I offered to set up the evening dining room if it would help them out.
I totally get being dead tired with the interaction and wanting 2 minutes' peace & quiet. The way I look at it (and possibly why little things bother me a lot) is that when guests are in the house, I am 'on.' Bell rings, I should answer it. (I don't always. Sometimes I just want 2 seconds and if it's 1 PM and I'm full, they have to wait until 3 PM.) Otherwise, we're here to help. We get a lot of time off in the winter.
Yes, people who are in this town who do not subscribe to that same philosophy are just as full. It's just how I am.
BUT, these are not people who are looking for simple acknowledgment. They are people who have already had an inordinate amount of our time. It's like you can't win, we are personable because that's how we just are, but nothing is ever enough.
When we traveled the other week I was struck once again by how MUCH we give, give, give here...WAY beyond anything you're getting at any hotel, restaurant, bar, airline, etc. I think that's why I love the b&b newbies so much, they are awestruck by how personal and warm the hospitality is. So what changes when they become repeaters? They just keep trying to take, take, take.
I feel your pain, sometimes it seems no matter what you do for people it's never enough and it's very draining. Others are so needy you wonder how they ever managed to get your your establishment without someone holding their hand.
Keep going, you can get through this and things will settle down again.
I don't wish to offend as I know this is a US based site, but the American's have the reputation of being the worst for this over here. And the worst are groups, usually middle-aged and two brothers with their wives or two sisters with husbands.
Just the other week we had a group and within 2 minutes of checking in the bell in the hall was going.....
There are no tea bags in our room.............yes there are, they are on the shelf above the kettle with the tea cups.........oh right, I didn't see the shelf
Bell: There's no TV remote in our room......... Isn't it in the draw next to the bed.......No, we looked everywhere. So I go up open the draw next to the bed and there it is.
Bell: Can we drink the tap water............ Yes, but there's a large jug of filtered iced water in your fridge..........We have a fridge ?
Can you do some laundry for us? Can you book a table? How do we get to xx?
And so it went on for two days.
On balance American's can also be the warmest, friendliest people from anywhere in the world. We had more offers to go and stay with people in the US than from any other country.

can say oh sorry the phone is going I have to go and dash away!.
I have often wondered why the mobile phone companies don't put a button on the outside of your phone (so you don't have to see it, you just feel it) that you can push and your phone will ring. This way, when a guest is sucking you dry, and you just can't get away, put your hand in your pocket and push that button. "Oopsy! Darn phone! I sure miss the days where I could ignore it! Excuse me for just a moment." Then escape and don't return for ten minutes or so. I do this solo, so can't set up an interruption with a significant other, but I have called friends and said "I have some yakkers...please call me in ten minutes." I just don't have time to spend 30 minutes talking, especially at breakfast, or God forbid, at check out, when I have dirty rooms calling my name.

Rupert wrote: He just wanted a friend. You are renting the room buddy, NOT US.
AND
JB wrote: .....but you hire the rooms not the innkeepers
Hummmm, we have discussed this before! People choose a B&B over a hotel for many reasons but one of the top reasons revolves around the general knowledge that B&B's provide great service and the hospitable nature of the innkeepers. They choose your B&B for how it sticks out against the others, the beautiful pictures of the guest rooms with all the details to comfort, etc. But as they are looking at your website - your personality is all over it, how you describe your place - is you. So yes, in essence you are selling yourself... they have an idea about you before they walk in your door.
So when I have guests in my home, they get 'me' too - if they want!
It is nice if they honor our space and allow us time that we need for our families but if they need something, they are paying aren't they?

Rupert wrote: He just wanted a friend. You are renting the room buddy, NOT US.
AND
JB wrote: .....but you hire the rooms not the innkeepers
Hummmm, we have discussed this before! People choose a B&B over a hotel for many reasons but one of the top reasons revolves around the general knowledge that B&B's provide great service and the hospitable nature of the innkeepers. They choose your B&B for how it sticks out against the others, the beautiful pictures of the guest rooms with all the details to comfort, etc. But as they are looking at your website - your personality is all over it, how you describe your place - is you. So yes, in essence you are selling yourself... they have an idea about you before they walk in your door.
So when I have guests in my home, they get 'me' too - if they want!
It is nice if they honor our space and allow us time that we need for our families but if they need something, they are paying aren't they?.
I think it is a balance they get us as part of the package but Not in such a way as every time you get sat down they are ringing the bell and after hours and so on there is a balance to be struck. Also what makes me crackers is people Like John's that can't find their own bumbs with out help.

More back to subject I would say No now is not a good time as most/all of my rooms are occupied perhapse you would like to come at X time tomorro as they you will be able to see more. Feel free to lie as much as you like as it makes them aware that you are a busy woman and they should get their scates on to book with you. Never let customers know if you don't have people in it looks bad. that's what I do and I say let me just look at my diary and rustle pages and then make up stuff .

More back to subject I would say No now is not a good time as most/all of my rooms are occupied perhapse you would like to come at X time tomorro as they you will be able to see more. Feel free to lie as much as you like as it makes them aware that you are a busy woman and they should get their scates on to book with you. Never let customers know if you don't have people in it looks bad. that's what I do and I say let me just look at my diary and rustle pages and then make up stuff .

Thank you
teeth_smile.gif
Rupert said:
Rupert said:
It's an old teaching expression that if you want to maintain control to never smile until December. Must work for the guests...never smile until they're here for the 3rd or 4th time!

Agreed, no offense at all. Usually it is the ugly American who travels, sorry HJ. We have them here as well. Your countrymen are the best, we love them to pieces!
When I lived o/s I was constantly embarrassed by the Yanks attitudes, and in fact a few from my own family. But they can be obnoxious here as well, they don't need to travel abroad to be rude.

Truthfully people are just different. Some just like to talk and visit. They mean no harm by this, they are just talkers. Some don't realize you have anything else to do.

Oh on the innkeeper for hire thing...I got this attitude after a totally full house for 3 days and I spent MY TIME sharing maps, directions, brochures with these two couples who never smiled, never were friendly in the least. I provided glassed and ice for their evening booze hour on the porch. I GAVE much to them, when I didn't have the time or energy.
(Sorry if you all have heard this one before)
So two seatings, means first gets served, we bust our butts to get it all cleared and reset and the food our HOT and fresh to the next group. I AM BUSY. I AM COOKING, I AM CLEARING, I AM CLEANING UP. Guests talk at the table, it is full, that is what happens, they laugh and talk and it is fun.
After check out...I send them a nice thank you email, LIKE I ALWAYS FLIPPIN' DO, Why? Because I AM NICE. I AM NICE AND TELL THEM THANK YOU AGAIN and WE APPRECIATE YOUR BUSINESS!
They reply that they expect to see the innkeepers at breakfast. (I was in and out bringing food, clearing plates, cleaning up...) They said They expect to have innkeeper interaction and discussion while seated at the table. Those were their words. Therefore my donning this term "Innkeeper song and dance routine." I felt ABUSED by this statement. I felt USED AND ABUSED. I was so angry and hurt, I gave so much and for them to say that to me was a huge slap in the face, head on slap! Other rooms got LESS of me.
So for that, YOU PAY FOR THE B&B experience - you bloody well did not pay my hourly rate you freakin' Johns! As you can see, I am a bit miffed by this ...still.
We give WHAT WE CAN and WHAT WE WANT TO GIVE. No one is hiring this innkeeper, if I had a sit-inn then they would get a hired innkeeper in my place. They do not pay for me, ever. I am about as adamant about this as I ever can be.
And yet at the same time, we have very lovely gusts and I go beyond the call of duty. The room that checked in tonight is here visiting this town where she grew up 40 years ago...In her room is a card that says "WELCOME HOME!" On the table brownies with walnuts, plums from our tree, sodas, an ice bucket with ice for drinks, a fresh bouquet of flowers, and in their room a vase of flowers. Their room is spaciojs and comfortable, and clean! I added a new comfy chair for reading recently. There are robes in the closet. An iPod docking station. Cable TV. Central A/C. An electric fireplace. A sofa. What more do you want? I think I am pretty nice. I think they have a pretty nice set up here, with nice innkeepers who care and share.

Oh on the innkeeper for hire thing...I got this attitude after a totally full house for 3 days and I spent MY TIME sharing maps, directions, brochures with these two couples who never smiled, never were friendly in the least. I provided glassed and ice for their evening booze hour on the porch. I GAVE much to them, when I didn't have the time or energy.
So two seatings, means first gets served, we bust our butts to get it all cleared and reset and the food our HOT and fresh to the next group. I AM BUSY. I AM COOKING, I AM CLEARING, I AM CLEANING UP. Guests talk at the table, it is full, that is what happens, they laugh and talk and it is fun.
After check out...I send them a nice thank you email, LIKE I ALWAYS FLIPPIN' DO, Why? Because I AM NICE. I AM NICE AND TELL THEM THANK YOU AGAIN and WE APPRECIATE YOUR BUSINESS!
They reply that they expect to see the innkeepers at breakfast. (I was in and out bringing food, clearing plates, cleaning up...) They said They expect to have innkeeper interaction and discussion while seated at the table. Those were their words. Therefore my donning this term "Innkeeper song and dance routine." I felt ABUSED by this statement. I felt USED AND ABUSED. I was so angry and hurt, I gave so much and for them to say that to me was a huge slap in the face, head on slap! Other rooms got LESS of me.
So for that, YOU PAY FOR THE B&B experience - you bloody well did not pay my hourly rate you freakin' Johns! As you can see, I am a bit miffed by this ...still.
We give WHAT WE CAN and WHAT WE WANT TO GIVE. No one is hiring this innkeeper, if I had a sit-inn then they would get a hired innkeeper in my place. They do not pay for me, ever. I am about as adamant about this as I ever can be.
And yet at the same time, we have very lovely gusts and I go beyond the call of duty. The room that checked in tonight is here visiting this town where she grew up 40 years ago...In her room is a card that says "WELCOME HOME!" On the table brownies with walnuts, plums from our tree, sodas, an ice bucket with ice for drinks, a fresh bouquet of flowers, and in their room a vase of flowers. Their room is spaciojs and comfortable, and clean! I added a new comfy chair for reading recently. There are robes in the closet. An iPod docking station. Cable TV. Central A/C. An electric fireplace. A sofa. What more do you want? I think I am pretty nice. I think they have a pretty nice set up here, with nice innkeepers who care and share..
potty-mouth.gif
those people! Couple of
potty-mouth.gif
!!! I want to come and stay at your place right now! You go beyond the call, and those guests are just
potty-mouth.gif
!!!
You get what I'm sayin' here???

And yet at the same time, we have very lovely gusts and I go beyond the call of duty. The room that checked in tonight is here visiting this town where she grew up 40 years ago...In her room is a card that says "WELCOME HOME!" On the table brownies with walnuts, plums from our tree, sodas, an ice bucket with ice for drinks, a fresh bouquet of flowers, and in their room a vase of flowers. Their room is spaciojs and comfortable, and clean! I added a new comfy chair for reading recently. There are robes in the closet. An iPod docking station. Cable TV. Central A/C. An electric fireplace. A sofa. What more do you want? I think I am pretty nice. I think they have a pretty nice set up here, with nice innkeepers who care and share..
This is why I will NEVER EVER EVER send a follow up email. I hope you enjoyed your stay and I will express that to you as I help you load up the car, give you directions to your next stop, etc. etc. etc. But when it's over, it's OVER. I don't give a flip about reviews, I will NEVER ask for one.
As a guest when I'm out the door I'm gone, if I enjoyed it and I'm back in your area I will be back to stay with you again, period. Nothing you say or do AFTER my stay is going to make a bit of difference. When you contact them this way they think you are SOLICITING their feedback...which I am emphatically NOT.
pita.gif

Joey Bloggs said:
Wowzer. I wonder what elves they thought were making the food and keeping it coming hot and fresh.
Someone like that definitely thought they paid for entertainment, not B&B. They are looking for a place where the owner hires stuff out so all they have to do is the meet and greet. (And then you never see them because they're always out living their 'lifestyle'.)
We stayed at a place like that. But I don't think we were up to her standards. She breezed thru, looked us over and then left us to the cook.
We can only give so much in any given day. Today I was a tour guide for family. I 'conversed' non-stop for 3 hours. I did not want to have another conversation for the rest of the day. I got home and a friend was here. More conversing. Then guests arrived. Then Gomez thought I was ignoring him. Then my daughter let me know she may be moving 3000 miles away. So I'll get to see the grandkids every 5 years or so.
I'm beat. I have nothing left to give to anyone right now.

For the first time ever we are starting to say no to those people who just pull up in the driveway and walk in expecting a full tour. Now we tell them to make an appointment when it's convenient for us. No more dropping everything we're doing to accommodate them. Last week my DH and I were having dinner when two people just walked right in the back yard. When my DH went out to talk to them they said, "Don't mind us we're just here to see the view"!
angry_smile.gif

JB wrote:
Believe me I understand this. I received an email almost the exact opposite to yours - I was a chatty cathy, we wanted to have our own conversation, and it got even more personal, more digs than I will never forget. This woman & girl friend kept the conversation going with me or I would have left... I do have other things I can do instead of talking to guests over breakfast. And I was not born yesterday, I can tell when people don't want to chat. But these 2 kept asking me questions or responding to me. - The woman had issues being in our town, issues that stirred up not so good memories...Humm could those bad memories be the underlying reason for the bitterness to me - yes! Even tho I had never seen either of these 2 people before.
This was 4 years ago and it still stabs me in the heart when I think about it. This I could have lead me to change the way I am with my guests, I did a lot of soul searching on this after this brutal attack. I had repeats that asked me if I was sick as I did not seem myself and that is what woke me up. I had to think about all the others that sincerely enjoyed my company, those who send personal thank yous, gifts to us - after paying to stay here, the many repeats and nice reviews that mention us by name. I will not let the likes of those ungrateful SOB's turn me into a bitter person.

Joey Bloggs said:
I was so angry and hurt,
{{{{{hugs}}}}}

Back