For the Naysayers (Guilty!)

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quoting from the article "People, like puppies, are trainable, if you are kind and persistent. You can draw lines in the sand and keep negative influences away from you." ... uh, O-kay ... I hope my full house tonight is at least paper-trained. I'll stock up on treats and chew toys.

thanks alibi. as an aspiring am stating to get the "negatives" from family and friends including my 90 yr old mum. They find it hard to accept that I am to give up my professional life which is not even remotely connected to hospitality (other than caring for people) . my response so far has been "I am finding medicine (usually 60 hour weeks) far too easy and want to find out what really hard work looks like". Usually keeps them quiet for about 30secs! JJ

thanks alibi. as an aspiring am stating to get the "negatives" from family and friends including my 90 yr old mum. They find it hard to accept that I am to give up my professional life which is not even remotely connected to hospitality (other than caring for people) . my response so far has been "I am finding medicine (usually 60 hour weeks) far too easy and want to find out what really hard work looks like". Usually keeps them quiet for about 30secs! JJ.
wink_smile.gif
Good line! Good luck!

Although we have been accused of being Negative Nans I think what we really are is Willa Warners. We try to point out the pitfalls to save wannabees from investing everything without seeing the rules, regs, and other things (as in lackadollars) that will be killers to more than the dream. Then we try to encourage and suggest helpful things. Dream on - but keep eyes open, get it in writing, and expect it to cost 3x budget.

I do think there is a balance to be struck for example i would say these are problems you might have with XXXX have you thought about how you will deal with them in your business plan? People should try for their dreams but some are not fit to be let out!

I think if you want to go into business for yourself the absolute first thing you need to do is grow a really thick hide!

Hey, I wish I HAD Y'ALL when I was aspiring! I would have thought, jeepers, what the! And then actually heard it over and over again...check the numbers, do your homework, don't buy on emotion, blah blah blah and some of it may have sunk in a little bit. I would have been WISER, that is for sure. I would have not allowed the PO's to dictate the sale, to dictate the information they fed us, vicariously, and falsely.
When it comes to business TRUST NO ONE.
We walked out of a restaurant last weekend downtown in nearby city and broad daylights a vehicle had the back window smashed in, we parked right next to it. Could have been us, wasn't. Homeless street bums walking all over downtown now, break in for $1 in your ashtray to buy a drink or drugs. Saying this because Plenty is done IN BROAD DAYLIGHT, our mistake was thinking a nice granny innkeeper was honest, and her husband taught sunday school at the corner church. Business is business.
LISTEN TO THESE INNKEEPERS HERE. These naysayers may be right on the money!

Back