For the Pancake Challenged

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SweetiePie

Reaction score
I'm sure this won't apply to most of you on here who are accomplished cooks. However, there may be one or two other lonely individuals like myself out there. who are pancake challenged. I've been avoiding making pancakes for years because mine always turned out like Frisbees. I tried every mix known to man and even tried adding club soda but couldn't get the fluffy diner-style pancakes I craved.
Well I've finally overcome the challenge and figured out the problem. I've been following the package directions all these years. That would be using the one bowl method. Instead of a mix I used Martha Stewart's buttermilk pancake recipe and the two bowl method. Dry ingredients in one and wet in the other and then gently fold together. Avoid too much mixing, you WANT lumps.
Also I changed from a 1/2 cup measure which was too big, I was always losing the pancake on the flip; to a 1/3 size which is much more manageable for me. Also cook it low and slow on a cast iron griddle, if possible.
Another thing I learned. To avoid making blue pancakes when making blueberry, add them to the top of the baking pancake instead of in the bowl. Much better. Now there's a new old favorite on the menu.

Good work! I found the same thing out with blueberries, especially frozen ones...is there a way to avoid turning the batter blue for muffins?

To avoid blue pancakes, add lots and lots of red food coloring.
tounge_smile.gif
Good thing DW is the cook.

I'm sure you could use the same method. Fill the muffin cup half way and then add the blueberries. Then fill it the rest of the way. Although that might result in a sandwich effect. Frozen blueberries tend to be less blue than canned or fresh.

I am totally pancake challenged - I can make good waffles and French toast that everyone wants the recipe for but I'm not so hot on pancakes. I am too impatient, I think, and always flip them too early or have the heat too high. I have a guest here for nine breakfasts so I may have to do pancakes one morning - thanks for the tip.

I won't tell you my latest fad here then...ok twist my arm, I mentioned my many one night guests and each one has enjoyed the same menu in a row (until the cook is sick of it). Day two was a man who told me he was a pancake aficionado so they better be good, he loved them.
Pecan pancakes.
Agree, the difference in a light airy scone vs a parking lot weapon is over mixing. Leave the lumps. So a big wooden spoon does the trick. Second, using a griddle I plug in has made life easier as I can pour 4 pancakes at a time and they cook evenly and crisp the outside and edges. Pancakes need hot heat to cook properly. Blueberries or any fruit should be dropped in after pouring onto the griddle or pan, even chopped pecans. Something about them with maple syrup! Give them a shot if you haven't, for whatever reason they are fantastic - guests are gobbling them up like...hotcakes.
wink_smile.gif

I use the Bisquick recipe for "Mouth Watering Pancakes" that includes lemon juice, sugar, baking powder, and vanilla. They are awesome alone, or we can add pecans, blueberries, chocolate chips, etc. I can't do pancakes when we are totally full (too many people), but they are a nice change for the slower winter months.

I am totally pancake challenged - I can make good waffles and French toast that everyone wants the recipe for but I'm not so hot on pancakes. I am too impatient, I think, and always flip them too early or have the heat too high. I have a guest here for nine breakfasts so I may have to do pancakes one morning - thanks for the tip..
muirford said:
I am totally pancake challenged - I can make good waffles and French toast that everyone wants the recipe for but I'm not so hot on pancakes. I am too impatient, I think, and always flip them too early or have the heat too high. I have a guest here for nine breakfasts so I may have to do pancakes one morning - thanks for the tip.
Before it mattered what they looked like, I made pancakes a lot. Now, no way. I burn them every time. So, when hubs isn't here, no pancakes.
Alton Brown did a good show on pancakes, batter, stirring, etc. Same thing...all the dry ingredients first, then pour in the wet ingredients and then stir, 10 times only and then 'STEP AWAY from the batter!' When we tell guests how we make the pancakes so fluffy they love the 'step away from the batter' part.

I am totally pancake challenged - I can make good waffles and French toast that everyone wants the recipe for but I'm not so hot on pancakes. I am too impatient, I think, and always flip them too early or have the heat too high. I have a guest here for nine breakfasts so I may have to do pancakes one morning - thanks for the tip..
BTW, don't flip the pancakes until the little air bubbles come up to the surface and start popping. I watched a guy on Diners, Drive Ins and Dives make a pancake that seriously looked like Guy Fieri. Amazing!

muirford said:
Before it mattered what they looked like, I made pancakes a lot. Now, no way. I burn them every time. So, when hubs isn't here, no pancakes.
Alton Brown did a good show on pancakes, batter, stirring, etc. Same thing...all the dry ingredients first, then pour in the wet ingredients and then stir, 10 times only and then 'STEP AWAY from the batter!' When we tell guests how we make the pancakes so fluffy they love the 'step away from the batter' part.
Bree said:
muirford said:
And you see what when you step back? The batter is fluffy and full of air pockets. Kinda cool.

BTW, don't flip the pancakes until the little air bubbles come up to the surface and start popping. I watched a guy on Diners, Drive Ins and Dives make a pancake that seriously looked like Guy Fieri. Amazing!
I saw that one twice. I love that show!

We visited Puerto Rico last year and stayed at a B&B that had a banana grove in the backyard. They put fresh bananas in the pancake batter. Now I do not even LIKE banana and these were to DIE for! Just a really light, sweet freshness...
...7 more months 'til we go back!

I found out just today as I did "the routine" another day with the pecan pancakes, this was the guest's all time favorite and clued me in on one of the reasons cracker barrel has such a following, he said that he and everyone he knows stops on every trip at a cracker barrel for their pecan pancakes! NOW I KNOW! I have made them five days in a row, I kid you not, all one nighters and each and everyone loved them and ate every drop. I said "So it is not for the cheesy potatoes?" He said firmly, "Oh no, the pecan pancakes!"
I am not fond of bananas in pancakes, I have put them on top before with a sprinkle of cinnamon and icing sugar.

Back