For those of you who accept pets - What is your pet acceptance policy?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do not take pets but I would require a copy from the vet for rabies and kennel cough. You can't be sure they have treated for fleas or not. And even with the treatment we catch ticks on our dog often after coming in from a walk. So this means treating the room for fleas and ticks on a regular basis, so I would add a charge for that if they bring a pet.
Edited to add - I would not allow anyone to bring any pet without a crate. Even the best dogs can get nervous in a new location. And I would absolutely not allow the animal to be left alone in the room. Bark bark bark bark bark....
Riki

This is a cut and paste from our "Pet Policies" website page.
At XXXXXXX, your quiet, clean and well-behaved dog is welcome.
Please consider carefully the following strict pet policies before reserving with your dog.​

• While we enjoy our doggy guests, we are not interested in being your dog's first stay away from home. He MUST BE freshly bathed and groomed, quiet, sociable, obedient, house trained and under your control and supervision at all times; bad behavior and accidents are not tolerated with our own dogs and won't be with yours either.
  • XXXXX Room (1st floor) offers easy exit & entry; allows one dog up to 40lbs or two small dogs 18 lbs or less. The XXXXX and XXXXX Rooms are on the second floor, accessed via the stairs; they allow up to two small dogs (18 pounds or less) that can be safely carried up and down the stairs. One guest allowed at a time with dogs.
  • Unsociable or agressive dogs not accepted. Dogs who are problem shedders or carry a strong odor should stay at home or at a kennel.
  • Pets not allowed on beds or furniture; this applies to all dogs, all sizes. Bring clean bedding for your pet to sleep on and your own food, water and dishes.
  • A $15.00 per dog per night surcharge applies in addition to your nightly rate. Additional charges WILL apply in the event of damage done to the room or furnishings or if out of the ordinary cleaning is required.
And finally, our most important rule of thumb:
"If your Mother-in-Law won't allow your dog in her guest room, reconsider bringing him."

[/b]
[/center]
We require strict adherence to our pet policies. Policy violators will be asked to move their dog to boarding facilities nearby; refusal to do so will result in immediate checkout without refund. By making your reservation with a pet, you understand and agree to these policies. Pet reservations are taken by telephone only; call us at XXX-XXX-XXXX.[/center][/center]
[/td][/tr][/table]

This is my pet acceptance policy. I have been told I am pet tolerant rather than pet friendly LOL. I was considering revising them. What do you guys think? Too strict?
Bed and Breakfast Pet Policies:

At the XXXX XXXX Bed and Breakfast, we genuinely love dogs and very much enjoy having well behaved pets stay with us in the XXX Cottage.

The great majority of dogs cause no problem whatsoever.
However, in consideration of all our guests and in light of some of our experiences, we need to explicitly state our dog policy.

Dogs are permitted in the XXXX Cottage at XXX Bed and Breakfast only with express prior approval.
No exceptions if prior approval was not made, or for any other animals.

Dog owners are charged a $35 fee per night/per dog.

Proof of vaccination and flea protection must be sent to us at time of reservation.

A pet security deposit is necessary and a walk through evaluation is done at check out with one of our staff members prior to refunding the security deposit.

Upon arrival we have you sign the following contract stating that you agree to abide by the following guidelines during your stay:

1. My dog is not aggressive; up to date with vaccinations and is well socialized with other animals and people.

2. My dog is free of ticks and fleas.

3. My dog will be under my care at all times.
4. I assume the responsibility for any and all damages to the inn and furnishings.

5. At no time is my dog allowed on the beds or furniture.

6. At no time is my dog to be left unattended unless crated.

7. When outside, my dog will be on a leash and under my control at all times.

8. I will dispose of my dog messes and provide my own pet waste removal tools (i.e. scooper).

Potty breaks should be confined to areas away from buildings.
While we understand that "accidents” may occur in inappropriate places, please be kind enough to remove it.
No one likes ruined shoes; especially other inn guests who may not be as pet friendly.

9. I will clean off my dog if he/she is wet or dirty, using towels provided by the management for dog care..
10. I will not bath my dog in either the Jacuzzi or shower.

11. I will notify the innkeepers immediately of any dog accidents or other animal related issues.

12. When away from the Inn, we will take our dog with us.
The Inn is not a substitute for a kennel.

13. No barking! Dogs that continuously bark or otherwise bother others will be asked to leave at the owner's expense.

We hope you and your pet’s stay is most enjoyable.
We will gladly accommodate you in any way possible.
By following these rules we hope to continue to add to everyone's positive and relaxing B & B experience.

Thank you for your kind attention and cooperation.

Welcome to our inn! We have a couple of policies designed to enhance everyone's visit, including yours! Please read through the policies and also find a list of amenities we provide for your visit.
  • There are no restrictions on your size. Dachshunds to Danes, well-behaved dogs of all sizes are welcome! Single or double dog occupancy only, please.
  • We're sorry, but insurance regulations prohibit the following breeds: German Shepherds, Pit Bulls, Rottweilers and Doberman Pinschers. (We're sure you're nice, but some of your relatives have gotten a bum rap.)
  • You must have current vaccinations for rabies and bordatella (there is an inn dog on the premises). It is in your best interests that flea and tick preventative measures be taken before your arrival. Ticks are prevalent in coastal Maine.
  • You may not stay alone in your room, except when your people are here having breakfast. When your people head out for the day or for dinner, you must accompany them. (And why not, you're on vacation, too!) Most stores will allow you in if your person is leashed. Many restaurants have outdoor seating where you will be allowed to dine with your people. (Please have your people call in advance, we can give them the phone numbers.)
  • The Dog Room is the one you want to book. This room has a private entrance which allows you and your people to come and go without going through the inn. Sorry, you are not allowed in the interior common inn areas. (You know, people have allergies and some are scared.)
  • Local ordinances, and good manners, require your people to clean up after you here at the inn and in town.
  • There is a $25 fee for you in addition to the room rate your people pay.
  • Any damage you do or loss of revenue due to damage done by you will be charged to your person's account. (Be a good dog!)
Dog Amenities-
The following items are provided for use during your stay:
  • Food and water bowls.
  • Quilt provided if you get to sleep on the furniture.
  • Towel for wiping muddy paws and drying off after a swim.
  • Pooper scooper bags.
These items are our gift for you to take with you:
  • A treat from the inn dog.
  • A copy of Dog News
  • A copy of the Guide to Parks for Dogs.
There is one acre of grounds here for playing and relaxing. We do ask that you don't roll in the flowers! The inn dog may come out to visit you while you are here. (Sometimes she just sleeps all day so you may not see her.) She is not allowed in your room. She's very friendly but she doesn't like to be charged, so please use some restraint when saying 'hi' to her. If you bark a lot in your room, she'll be upset because she can't fix what's wrong.
If your people want to go out for the day on their own, they can call these folks who will be happy to take care of you:
Here I list a bunch of places that have doggie daycare. A similar 'welcome' letter is in the room.
Total sidetrack here, but today I had a guest who refused to book the 'dog room' because 'ewww, you let dogs in there' so she moved on as I could not accommodate her and all her kids in any other room.

This is my pet acceptance policy. I have been told I am pet tolerant rather than pet friendly LOL. I was considering revising them. What do you guys think? Too strict?

At the XXXX XXXX Bed and Breakfast, we genuinely love dogs and very much enjoy having well behaved pets stay with us in the XXX Cottage.

However, in consideration of all our guests and in light of some of our experiences, we need to explicitly state our dog policy.

Dogs are permitted in the XXXX Cottage at XXX Bed and Breakfast only with express prior approval.

Proof of vaccination and flea protection must be sent to us at time of reservation.

A pet security deposit is necessary and a walk through evaluation is done at check out with one of our staff members prior to refunding the security deposit.

Upon arrival we have you sign the following contract stating that you agree to abide by the following guidelines during your stay:

1. My dog is not aggressive; up to date with vaccinations and is well socialized with other animals and people.

4. I assume the responsibility for any and all damages to the inn and furnishings.

8. I will dispose of my dog messes and provide my own pet waste removal tools (i.e. scooper).

While we understand that "accidents” may occur in inappropriate places, please be kind enough to remove it.
No one likes ruined shoes; especially other inn guests who may not be as pet friendly.

9. I will clean off my dog if he/she is wet or dirty, using towels provided by the management for dog care..

11. I will notify the innkeepers immediately of any dog accidents or other animal related issues.

13. No barking! Dogs that continuously bark or otherwise bother others will be asked to leave at the owner's expense.

By following these rules we hope to continue to add to everyone's positive and relaxing B & B experience.

The Farmers Daughter said:

I would leave it. You need to have something like this in writing, otherwise if they destroy something (dog left in room alone, gets panics, scratches the (*&^%% out of the door which means it must be replaced, for example) and you don't have this in writing and they issue a chargeback, you will lose. And since we know the credit card companies will not allow you to charge the credit cards for damage, we always charge an extra cleaning charge. Your policies must be documented!
You have to put it out there so they know you mean it. I am a responsible pet owner, but that does not mean everyone is. Remember the lady that said not to worry she has a little pee pad so her honey could pee right in the room? Unbelievable.
Riki

Hang onto your - oh what is that saying, HAT! Hang onto your hat - - We stayed at a B&B recently with NO dog policies whatsoever. They charged $20 extra per night and that was that. They had a fenced in dog area out back that our pet sniffed and widdled around, we knew if we took our dog there it would go right away.

I would leave it. You need to have something like this in writing, otherwise if they destroy something (dog left in room alone, gets panics, scratches the (*&^%% out of the door which means it must be replaced, for example) and you don't have this in writing and they issue a chargeback, you will lose. And since we know the credit card companies will not allow you to charge the credit cards for damage, we always charge an extra cleaning charge. Your policies must be documented!
You have to put it out there so they know you mean it. I am a responsible pet owner, but that does not mean everyone is. Remember the lady that said not to worry she has a little pee pad so her honey could pee right in the room? Unbelievable.
Riki
We rented the church cabin one year and brought our "good dog" the old border collie with us. Everything was great until the last night, when we went to get dinner and locked him in the basement. Gone like 2 hours, 3 tops. When we got back, he had literally scratched through the basement door at the top of the landing of the first floor, destroyed the bottom half of the door and the carpeting that was on the landing. Of course we were in the mountains, nearest hardware store was an hour away. Spent the entire last day of the trip fixing it all, luckily there was scrap carpeting in a closet.
Old Bishop did it again in our last house on Fourth of July, tore up the garage door, he was scared from the M80's going off over the roof.
You NEVER know what your pets will do in unfamiliar situations. In my experience, pets do not like to travel, at least mine never have, they aren't in their own territory and that makes them weird. They are just like me!

That's the best dog policy I've seen yet and writing it to the dog is very cute. Humor is a good way to get the point across without offending too much.

Riki
We rented the church cabin one year and brought our "good dog" the old border collie with us. Everything was great until the last night, when we went to get dinner and locked him in the basement. Gone like 2 hours, 3 tops. When we got back, he had literally scratched through the basement door at the top of the landing of the first floor, destroyed the bottom half of the door and the carpeting that was on the landing. Of course we were in the mountains, nearest hardware store was an hour away. Spent the entire last day of the trip fixing it all, luckily there was scrap carpeting in a closet.
Old Bishop did it again in our last house on Fourth of July, tore up the garage door, he was scared from the M80's going off over the roof.
You NEVER know what your pets will do in unfamiliar situations. In my experience, pets do not like to travel, at least mine never have, they aren't in their own territory and that makes them weird. They are just like me!
Willowpondgj said:
When we got back, he had literally scratched through the basement door at the top of the landing of the first floor, destroyed the bottom half of the door and the carpeting that was on the landing. Of course we were in the mountains, nearest hardware store was an hour away. Spent the entire last day of the trip fixing it all, luckily there was scrap carpeting in a closet.
This is why you require a traveling crate. Trainers will tell you dogs are animals that like their little caves or whatever they call them. Keep a crate for traveling and they will feel secure in their "home" or "cave" no matter where they are. My mother used to keep them around the house and we would often find them in them napping. It gives them something familiar when traveling.
Riki

In my experience (and we've seen an awful lot of dogs here), people who travel with their pets know what to expect and are extremely considerate. Likewise their pets have traveled with them extensively and behave wonderfully. Some people just think it would be a novelty to bring their dog, even tho the poor thing has lived on the end of a chain it's whole life. They don't think it through.
Since I only take pet reservations by telephone, I can ask all of my questions FIRST. When I ask how old the dog is and how often he has traveled to spend the night away from home...if I get a hesitation or they avoid the question, forget it.
But like I say, problems are very very rare.

Riki
egoodell said:
And since we know the credit card companies will not allow you to charge the credit cards for damage, we always charge an extra cleaning charge. Your policies must be documented!
I did not know that. I have charged damage fees in the past, but its been a few years...when did that change?
wow.gif

Riki
Willowpondgj said:
When we got back, he had literally scratched through the basement door at the top of the landing of the first floor, destroyed the bottom half of the door and the carpeting that was on the landing. Of course we were in the mountains, nearest hardware store was an hour away. Spent the entire last day of the trip fixing it all, luckily there was scrap carpeting in a closet.
This is why you require a traveling crate. Trainers will tell you dogs are animals that like their little caves or whatever they call them. Keep a crate for traveling and they will feel secure in their "home" or "cave" no matter where they are. My mother used to keep them around the house and we would often find them in them napping. It gives them something familiar when traveling.
Riki
egoodell said:
Willowpondgj said:
Riki
The crate only works if the dog is crate-trained. If they are not and the first time they see a crate is when they get here, they will almost always howl, pee, and try to get out. My dog DID get out of her crate once. It meant getting both locks free but she did it. I do not allow crates here for the reason that I do NOT want the dog here alone, at all.

My dog is free of ticks and fleas.
How can someone sign this? They walk along the grass and are at ground level and pick up ticks like magnets. I use Frontline Plus - they can sign their name to.

Riki
Willowpondgj said:
Riki
egoodell said:
Willowpondgj said:
Riki
The crate only works if the dog is crate-trained. If they are not and the first time they see a crate is when they get here, they will almost always howl, pee, and try to get out. My dog DID get out of her crate once. It meant getting both locks free but she did it. I do not allow crates here for the reason that I do NOT want the dog here alone, at all.
Bree said:
egoodell said:
Willowpondgj said:
Riki
I did not read NO CRATES on your policies? I think the policies are all way way way too much, both of them posted here, not just yours. In fact, it puts me off staying some place with such stringent policies. Don't accept dogs, or email this to them personally and see if they can stand up to the rigors. I skimmed them and I bet others do. Do you have them posted in the room, or have them SIGN this at check in if they bring a dog? Then they have the copy there to read over once in the room.
Any decent pet owner will know what to do with their dog, and if they want to break the rules they will. Our dog sleeps in her crate, that is her bed, she loves her crate, it is not punishment for her. In fact, if a dog cannot sleep and be comfortable in a crate, then those are the ones I wouldn't want in my rooms. Different perspective I know, which is why I don't take dogs. :)

Riki
Willowpondgj said:
Riki
egoodell said:
Willowpondgj said:
Riki
Bree said:
egoodell said:
Willowpondgj said:
Riki
I did not read NO CRATES on your policies? I think the policies are all way way way too much, both of them posted here, not just yours. In fact, it puts me off staying some place with such stringent policies. Don't accept dogs, or email this to them personally and see if they can stand up to the rigors. I skimmed them and I bet others do. Do you have them posted in the room, or have them SIGN this at check in if they bring a dog? Then they have the copy there to read over once in the room.
Any decent pet owner will know what to do with their dog, and if they want to break the rules they will. Our dog sleeps in her crate, that is her bed, she loves her crate, it is not punishment for her. In fact, if a dog cannot sleep and be comfortable in a crate, then those are the ones I wouldn't want in my rooms. Different perspective I know, which is why I don't take dogs. :)
No, I don't tell them they can't bring a crate because some dogs sleep in them regularly (mine does). What I was trying to get across is if they tell me 'the dog stays in a crate all day while we're out,' then I tell them we don't allow dogs to be crated, they have to go out, too.
Yes, the policy page is long, but it is no longer than the page for humans. Check-in, check-out, no smoking, cancellations, dietary restrictions, no children left alone all day, yada yada.
YOU are a good pet person. Not everyone else is. Including the people who let their Great Dane sleep IN the bed, with the covers pulled up or the people with the golden puppy that slept on top of the bed and made ME sick when I went to make the bed there was so much dog hair everywhere. Or the people who wanted me to pet sit for them all day because it would be no trouble at all for the dog to be in the kitchen with me. I look at the policy page this way...if I scare off some less than stellar pet owners, all the better. And most people do not even read it given the number of calls I get asking IF we have any policies about pets.
The policy section in the confirmation is much shorter. The doggie note in the room is pretty much the policy page. Most people, I think, want to know what they're getting into before they arrive. Yes, I have had people ask what the policies are and not book. That is ok with me. I have other places I can refer them to if they balk at my restrictions. Including one where the kids will pet sit.
The restrictions are for my benefit. I want to offer the opportunity for someone with good habits to have a place to stay. I don't want to be doggie daycare for guests who don't have a clue.
Remember the guest who ended up in the hospital? They kept the dog in the car the whole time they were at the hospital. That dog sat in the car for 8 hours at a stretch. They never asked if the dog could stay in the room or anything like that at all. THOSE are good pet people.
The bad review we got was about the pet policy being too restrictive. We were taken to task for NOT being pet friendly because we charged a fee.

How can someone sign this? They walk along the grass and are at ground level and pick up ticks like magnets. I use Frontline Plus - they can sign their name to..
Joe Bloggs said:
How can someone sign this? They walk along the grass and are at ground level and pick up ticks like magnets. I use Frontline Plus - they can sign their name to.
That is a spin off of this portion: Proof of vaccination and flea protection must be sent to us at time of reservation.
When guests arrive, they must also fill out a form of personal information. Their vets name and number and the health certificate info. That is followed by the pets flea and tick treatment.

Riki
egoodell said:
And since we know the credit card companies will not allow you to charge the credit cards for damage, we always charge an extra cleaning charge. Your policies must be documented!
I did not know that. I have charged damage fees in the past, but its been a few years...when did that change?
wow.gif

wow.gif
It is not always known by the cardholder, so if they don't know to contest it, it gets paid. Usually it's the PITA guest who finds this out and challenges it. But the cc companies in the small print say you cannot use a cc for damage. That's why you list it as "extra cleaning cost". This has happened to an innkeeper on another chat board who had excessive damage to the point that she had to replace funiture and matresses from two couples who had a drunken spree in her cottage and could not remember where the bathroom was, etc.
They knew about this and told her they would contest/sue whatever. She had to eat the damage costs.
Riki

Riki
Willowpondgj said:
Riki
egoodell said:
Willowpondgj said:
Riki
Bree said:
egoodell said:
Willowpondgj said:
Riki
Well, our policies don't put off as many people as you might think, we've had two different dogs here already this week. Ours are posted right on the website...once they arrive, they don't have to sign anything, nor do I feel the need to reiterate. I also post right on the website that dogs should be ready for affection, because we (and most of our guests) love to give it, and we include a pound of Organic all-Natural dog treats for every guest. Once they're here, they are the center of attention most of the time.
While our pet policies may seem tough, they're just simple common sense when your taking your dog to a strangers home where there will be nice things and OTHER strangers....we have very few "rules" here at the Inn, we're pretty laid back. That being said, anyone finding the pet policies too stringent likely does not normally travel with their pet and are welcome to leave their dog at home.
Joe says "I think the policies are all way way way too much". If you don't take dogs, how can you criticize anyone else's pet policies?? If you think there should be less restrictions, then why don't you take dogs? I don't get where you're coming from here.

Your dog maybe. I've only had one problem with that in over six years of accepting pets. In fact, only two negative pet instances overall. The rest have been a joy...both the dogs and their owners.

Back