For those of you who take dogs...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

River Wren

Reaction score
I have some doggie friendly cottages that I will need to bomb for fleas. I have never done this before. What is the best way to proceed? Thanks !

Have never used a flea bomb. However, I understand that you can set the place on fire by using too many of them, so please read the directions. If you have any kind of 'food items' like utensils, coffee maker, etc, remove them. I would think you need to air out the cottages before guests check in again.
You will need to vacuum several times (about a week apart) in order to get all of the fleas, nymphs, eggs. Be sure to throw the vacuum bag out each time so you're not incubating them in your vacuum.

Have never used a flea bomb. However, I understand that you can set the place on fire by using too many of them, so please read the directions. If you have any kind of 'food items' like utensils, coffee maker, etc, remove them. I would think you need to air out the cottages before guests check in again.
You will need to vacuum several times (about a week apart) in order to get all of the fleas, nymphs, eggs. Be sure to throw the vacuum bag out each time so you're not incubating them in your vacuum..
Morticia said:
You will need to vacuum several times (about a week apart) in order to get all of the fleas, nymphs, eggs. Be sure to throw the vacuum bag out each time so you're not incubating them in your vacuum.
Thank you for the advice. Do you know if certain bombs or foggers are more effective than others?

It's been a while since I battled fleas, but I remember declaring nuclear war against them after many failed attempts with bombs. I started researching what I was doing wrong. I learned that fleas have a 4-stage life cycle - egg, larvae, pupae, adult. Eggs and pupae are killed by one chemical that has no effect on the larve and adult. Then there is another chemical that kills the larve and the adult, butnot the egg and pupae. So you have to apply each chemical within a certain number of days. At this point, I don't remember the names of each chemical (I think both of them started with a "P"), nor the interval that you apply each one, but if you do some internet research, I'm sure you can find it. The interval is going to be the nuber of days the eggs hatch and when the pupae become adults. Back with I was learning all of this (1989 or 1990, I believe), it was before the age of internet - I did it the old fashioned way by reading, researching, and speaking with pest control experts.
Once I learned about the life cycle and what kills what, I won the battle against the fleas once and for all. I've never had to battle fleas again. Heck, I couldn't even tell you whether the same chemicals are even still available. The EPA seems to yank all the good stuff off the market (just like our bottom hull paint - gotta go to the Bahamas to get the good stuff!)

It's been a while since I battled fleas, but I remember declaring nuclear war against them after many failed attempts with bombs. I started researching what I was doing wrong. I learned that fleas have a 4-stage life cycle - egg, larvae, pupae, adult. Eggs and pupae are killed by one chemical that has no effect on the larve and adult. Then there is another chemical that kills the larve and the adult, butnot the egg and pupae. So you have to apply each chemical within a certain number of days. At this point, I don't remember the names of each chemical (I think both of them started with a "P"), nor the interval that you apply each one, but if you do some internet research, I'm sure you can find it. The interval is going to be the nuber of days the eggs hatch and when the pupae become adults. Back with I was learning all of this (1989 or 1990, I believe), it was before the age of internet - I did it the old fashioned way by reading, researching, and speaking with pest control experts.
Once I learned about the life cycle and what kills what, I won the battle against the fleas once and for all. I've never had to battle fleas again. Heck, I couldn't even tell you whether the same chemicals are even still available. The EPA seems to yank all the good stuff off the market (just like our bottom hull paint - gotta go to the Bahamas to get the good stuff!).
Yes this is what I recall also. Been years since I had to deal with it. If you do not break that cycle they will continue to breed and multiply. If you have a farmers feed and seed store in the area, they will be your best bet to assist you in purchasing the right chemicals to do the job yourself.
OFF TOPIC - Sancturary, hope Bonnie was not too bad for you! I know it is a real rain producer.

Once I learned about the life cycle and what kills what, I won the battle against the fleas once and for all. I've never had to battle fleas again. Heck, I couldn't even tell you whether the same chemicals are even still available. The EPA seems to yank all the good stuff off the market (just like our bottom hull paint - gotta go to the Bahamas to get the good stuff!).
Yes this is what I recall also. Been years since I had to deal with it. If you do not break that cycle they will continue to breed and multiply. If you have a farmers feed and seed store in the area, they will be your best bet to assist you in purchasing the right chemicals to do the job yourself.
OFF TOPIC - Sancturary, hope Bonnie was not too bad for you! I know it is a real rain producer.
copperhead said:
Not too bad - I prepared well. I rubbed on a piling just a bit, but no damage and I lost nothing. We were supposed to be headed to the Bahamas with 15 people onboard. All of that got the axe. I'm more disappointed in that than I can express. I've worked hard for over 4 years getting this yacht ready to cross the Gulf Stream and this was our set date - I guess it wasn't meant to be. From visions of sipping champagne on a float while tethered to Sanctuary’s stern in beautiful Bahamian waters with her shadow clearly visible on the sea floor...to the harsh reality of dragging out storm crap and preparing her for wind, instead. July is supposed to be a time when the Gulf Stream is flat. It's been running around 10 feet this past week. The boat can take that, but most people can't. I have a friend whom we were supposed to meet over there who came back in that. He put the autopilot on, laid down on the aft deck and prayed to God to put a bullet through his head. God did not answer his prayers, and he eventually arrived in Miami in one piece.. :)

In the news locally a house was on fire due to someone flea bombing. So please read the directions carefully.

There is a product that is not a bomb that is effective - Fleabusters. We used it in our own quarters after one of our housecats passed on but left all his fleas behind. It is really best used on carpet or rugs - it is extremely slippery on wood floors. We treated our area rugs in the bedroom and it worked very well.

I have found that you spend more energy,time, and money if you try to do it yourself, just call your friendly Bug person and have it done. If the fleas are not gone in a month call them again and they re-spray for free. Same goes for the pesky little ants and those foreign lady bugs. The ants were gone in minutes.

I have found that you spend more energy,time, and money if you try to do it yourself, just call your friendly Bug person and have it done. If the fleas are not gone in a month call them again and they re-spray for free. Same goes for the pesky little ants and those foreign lady bugs. The ants were gone in minutes..
Sorry.. I can live with ants and Asian Lady beetles...I don't want to have professionals spraying awful poison in and around my house:-(

I have found that you spend more energy,time, and money if you try to do it yourself, just call your friendly Bug person and have it done. If the fleas are not gone in a month call them again and they re-spray for free. Same goes for the pesky little ants and those foreign lady bugs. The ants were gone in minutes..
Sorry.. I can live with ants and Asian Lady beetles...I don't want to have professionals spraying awful poison in and around my house:-(
catlady said:
We've had guests ask, after they booked, if we use any chemicals on the lawn or if we spray for bugs. At that time, we had ChemLawn and all those guests cancelled. All of them had either kids or pets they were bringing.
It is spider season here now. Oy. I am after them with the swiffer every day.

catlady said:
We've had guests ask, after they booked, if we use any chemicals on the lawn or if we spray for bugs. At that time, we had ChemLawn and all those guests cancelled. All of them had either kids or pets they were bringing.
Oh Spiders I can take as well. My husband has trained me that they our good insects :-( I don't like them...but like you say...a good swat and swiffer takes care of them :)

catlady said:
Oh Spiders I can take as well. My husband has trained me that they our good insects :-( I don't like them...but like you say...a good swat and swiffer takes care of them :)
Not me, the guests. Any kind of bug = dirty to the guests. The big, hairy wood spiders do give me the heebie jeebies, tho.

catlady said:
I understand what you are saying, but when they come in by the billions (not quite) then it is time to do something. THe ants were not sprayed but our Bug Lady provided a motel like thing, but this one works also a clear jel. Do you know of a green method to rid ones house of fleas?

catlady said:
No sprays on our yard, we have a well.

catlady said:
I understand what you are saying, but when they come in by the billions (not quite) then it is time to do something. THe ants were not sprayed but our Bug Lady provided a motel like thing, but this one works also a clear jel. Do you know of a green method to rid ones house of fleas?
You could try this page for more info. I am wondering if the flea repellent we put on our dog is what made her so sick last month. I'm going to use half the amount this month and see if she gets lethargic again.

catlady said:
DH is very alergic and after 2 spider bites and 2 trips to the ER we will do anything it takes to keep those things AWAY.

catlady said:
The Fleabuster product is made of diatomaceous earth, which is not a toxic chemical. You do have to be careful using it - you wouldn't want to breath it in much, especially if you are sensitive to dust. It can take a few weeks to work completely because it can't kill the eggs, but it does kill the larvae before they become full-grown fleas.
I worry about using chemicals, too. We just had the ground surrounding the inn treated for termites - a preventative measure, not because we have them - but I have had several guests who ask about those kinds of chemicals, especially pesticides. They can be very toxic even in small doses if you have a chemical sensitivity.

catlady said:
You could try this page for more info. I am wondering if the flea repellent we put on our dog is what made her so sick last month. I'm going to use half the amount this month and see if she gets lethargic again.
We stopped putting it on our indoor cats after one became ill with a blood plasma cancer. It can be very poisonous to animals who are elderly or who already have weakened systems. Of course, that's why we had to treat for fleas after one died - he had them, even though he wasn't going outside. It's very easy for them to come inside on your clothing.

Back