For those of you who take dogs...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a centipede walk across the bathroom floor two days ago. Bugs just mean your house is healthy, infestations are another story. If a mouse gets in here it is because we have rural countryside all around, it is not a big deal, BUT...IF A GUEST SEES A MOUSE it is the end of the world as we know it! Heck, if a guest sees a cat, it can be the end of the world!
Isn't life wonderful...isn't it great to NOT be related to or have to live with THOSE people! :)

I had a centipede walk across the bathroom floor two days ago. Bugs just mean your house is healthy, infestations are another story. If a mouse gets in here it is because we have rural countryside all around, it is not a big deal, BUT...IF A GUEST SEES A MOUSE it is the end of the world as we know it! Heck, if a guest sees a cat, it can be the end of the world!
Isn't life wonderful...isn't it great to NOT be related to or have to live with THOSE people! :).
YEah we have people complaining about flies at some of the local hotels...well ghee whiz they are in the middle of the country and no screen doors for heaven's sake. LIke you said...bugs in a house..are to be expected somewhat...it is nature. Now things like bed bugs and cockroach infestation..NO WAY!

I have found that you spend more energy,time, and money if you try to do it yourself, just call your friendly Bug person and have it done. If the fleas are not gone in a month call them again and they re-spray for free. Same goes for the pesky little ants and those foreign lady bugs. The ants were gone in minutes..
Sorry.. I can live with ants and Asian Lady beetles...I don't want to have professionals spraying awful poison in and around my house:-(
catlady said:
Sorry.. I can live with ants and Asian Lady beetles...I don't want to have professionals spraying awful poison in and around my house:-(
We've had guests ask, after they booked, if we use any chemicals on the lawn or if we spray for bugs. At that time, we had ChemLawn and all those guests cancelled. All of them had either kids or pets they were bringing.
It is spider season here now. Oy. I am after them with the swiffer every day.
Oh Spiders I can take as well. My husband has trained me that they our good insects :-( I don't like them...but like you say...a good swat and swiffer takes care of them :)
I understand what you are saying, but when they come in by the billions (not quite) then it is time to do something. THe ants were not sprayed but our Bug Lady provided a motel like thing, but this one works also a clear jel. Do you know of a green method to rid ones house of fleas?
You could try this page for more info. I am wondering if the flea repellent we put on our dog is what made her so sick last month. I'm going to use half the amount this month and see if she gets lethargic again.
We stopped putting it on our indoor cats after one became ill with a blood plasma cancer. It can be very poisonous to animals who are elderly or who already have weakened systems. Of course, that's why we had to treat for fleas after one died - he had them, even though he wasn't going outside. It's very easy for them to come inside on your clothing.
I had stopped Frontline on my cat because I noticed he was reacting weirdly after I put it on him. i told the vet and he said he had never heard of any reactions from any of his clients. I don't do it because of fleas...he has never had any...but because of the ticks. He was bringing in so many in July that I had to put it back on him even though I didn't want to.

these guests that request info if the property is treated with any chemicals....
First..............do you realize that products you use in "your own home" are more toxic than what is used on the landscape
Organic controls.....there is not enough science to know what the exposure effects are........let alone long term effects..........Pyrethrin based insecticides are orgainc.....they affect the nervous system of the insects......if it kills bugs..........organic or chemical........it is still a poison........and we just don't enough yet about organic controls
(not saying......not to use them........they "may" be less harmfull to humans and pets)
If these guests ever stayed at a hotel or motel.....they don't use pesticides?......higher quality establishments require their grounds be in top shape and look pleasing.........they don't use pesticides?
Restaurants......any establishment that handles food..........they don't use pesticides ?

I have found that you spend more energy,time, and money if you try to do it yourself, just call your friendly Bug person and have it done. If the fleas are not gone in a month call them again and they re-spray for free. Same goes for the pesky little ants and those foreign lady bugs. The ants were gone in minutes..
catlady said:
We've had guests ask, after they booked, if we use any chemicals on the lawn or if we spray for bugs. At that time, we had ChemLawn and all those guests cancelled. All of them had either kids or pets they were bringing.
Oh Spiders I can take as well. My husband has trained me that they our good insects :-( I don't like them...but like you say...a good swat and swiffer takes care of them :)
I understand what you are saying, but when they come in by the billions (not quite) then it is time to do something. THe ants were not sprayed but our Bug Lady provided a motel like thing, but this one works also a clear jel. Do you know of a green method to rid ones house of fleas?
You could try this page for more info. I am wondering if the flea repellent we put on our dog is what made her so sick last month. I'm going to use half the amount this month and see if she gets lethargic again.
We stopped putting it on our indoor cats after one became ill with a blood plasma cancer. It can be very poisonous to animals who are elderly or who already have weakened systems. Of course, that's why we had to treat for fleas after one died - he had them, even though he wasn't going outside. It's very easy for them to come inside on your clothing.
I had stopped Frontline on my cat because I noticed he was reacting weirdly after I put it on him. i told the vet and he said he had never heard of any reactions from any of his clients. I don't do it because of fleas...he has never had any...but because of the ticks. He was bringing in so many in July that I had to put it back on him even though I didn't want to.
What did your cat do? My dog runs around in circles and tries to shake the stuff off her.

these guests that request info if the property is treated with any chemicals....
First..............do you realize that products you use in "your own home" are more toxic than what is used on the landscape
Organic controls.....there is not enough science to know what the exposure effects are........let alone long term effects..........Pyrethrin based insecticides are orgainc.....they affect the nervous system of the insects......if it kills bugs..........organic or chemical........it is still a poison........and we just don't enough yet about organic controls
(not saying......not to use them........they "may" be less harmfull to humans and pets)
If these guests ever stayed at a hotel or motel.....they don't use pesticides?......higher quality establishments require their grounds be in top shape and look pleasing.........they don't use pesticides?
Restaurants......any establishment that handles food..........they don't use pesticides ?.
Guests were assuming we wouldn't use those things anywhere on the property because they were thinking about us like a 'house'.
I don't use bug spray. We do have to treat the lawn for weeds or that would be all we had. Right now over half my lawn is no longer 'pretty grass' it is that awful pale green grass or crabgrass. (Sorry I don't know one grass from another.)

Restaurants......any establishment that handles food..........they don't use pesticides ?.
Most of the ones that have asked me about pesticides say specifically that they prefer B&Bs to hotels or motels for traveling because they a) know what chemicals they do and don't use and b) may have more flexibility in not using certain chemicals for cleaning or laundry. I have to believe that the guests with severe chemical sensitivities don't use them in their own homes. At least one of my guests didn't have a problem with cleaning products, only with pesticides.
It's very hard to tell what will make someone allergic - I now have an allergy to sulfa drugs because I took some prescribed for a mis-diagnosed infection that was really an allergic reaction. One chemical may be very problematic to someone while many others are not. It's hard to blame people for trying to manage their sensitivities as much as possible - if I can't meet their needs, I suggest they go somewhere else.

Most of the ones that have asked me about pesticides say specifically that they prefer B&Bs to hotels or motels for traveling because they a) know what chemicals they do and don't use and b) may have more flexibility in not using certain chemicals for cleaning or laundry. I have to believe that the guests with severe chemical sensitivities don't use them in their own homes. At least one of my guests didn't have a problem with cleaning products, only with pesticides.
It's very hard to tell what will make someone allergic - I now have an allergy to sulfa drugs because I took some prescribed for a mis-diagnosed infection that was really an allergic reaction. One chemical may be very problematic to someone while many others are not. It's hard to blame people for trying to manage their sensitivities as much as possible - if I can't meet their needs, I suggest they go somewhere else.
We just had a call from someone with severe dog & cat allergies wanting to verify there are no pets allowed in the room they want. OK, severe allergies to dogs won't do well here because I have a dog, which I explained to her. Told her this is how we run the place, you need to decide if that is appropriate for your needs. My dog does wander around sometimes. But even if she didn't, she lives with me. I will have dander or pet hair on me at some point.
Plus, I cannot guarantee the last guest didn't throw a cat fur-laden suitcase on the bed.

Cat fur woven...yeah that's about right. I can be away for days or weeks and find cat hair in or on something, it gets right into the weave of any fabric.
I love animals. I want to see your pets! Gimmee gimmee...bring on Fido and Penelope.

catlady said:
Not me, the guests. Any kind of bug = dirty to the guests. The big, hairy wood spiders do give me the heebie jeebies, tho.
Morticia said:
The big, hairy wood spiders do give me the heebie jeebies, tho.
They wood spider is a fascinating species. Here is information that I am sure you are not aware of:
http://video.yahoo.com/watch/1897025/6290607

Isn't life wonderful...isn't it great to NOT be related to or have to live with THOSE people! :).
Joey Bloggs said:
Isn't life wonderful...isn't it great to NOT be related to or have to live with THOSE people! :)
Uggh! I agree. Being out in the county, you just expect your fair share of local flora and fauna. I have a couple here right now from Staten Island. The wife actually called me up because they had a spider web on the grapevine wreath on their cottage door. They requested it be immediately removed as 'they don't do' bugs.
Here is my question: how did the human race get so removed from nature? No one can survive without air conditioning. Even exercise is an indoor sport ie running on the treadmill while watching TV. No wonder todays kids are obese....(end rant)

catlady said:
What did your cat do? My dog runs around in circles and tries to shake the stuff off her.
OH..Fluffy acts real sluggish and slow...unusual for him even if he is 17 :) Never fails...after I put it on...he just lays around and sleeps constantly for about a day and then he is ok.

catlady said:
Not me, the guests. Any kind of bug = dirty to the guests. The big, hairy wood spiders do give me the heebie jeebies, tho.
Morticia said:
They wood spider is a fascinating species. Here is information that I am sure you are not aware of:
Oh, yeah, like I'm going to watch a video about wood spiders.
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif

catlady said:
Morticia said:

Morticia said:
lol! just watch it. . . . its not what you think.
wink_smile.gif

Sensitity to chemicals is one thing..........yes.....there are people that have such things.....it is understandable that catagory of guests would seek out a B&B.
The environmental movement is a realy, realy big thing.........missquided much of it is................not knocking them, just the extremeism.
the example given here regarding a lawn that is half something other than the desireable turf that is wanted.
There is a program called IPM......Integrated Pest Management..........the very idea of it is to scout for the problems........no longer doing pesticide applications just for the sake of doing them........have to have the pest first, then treat with the least toxic first.............along with that is preventative maintenance.....this idea is to prevent what would be a common pest occurance. In doing this is to use the product at the lower rate..........to cure a disease or eradicate a pest would require more applications and or stronger chemicals, which would be considered more toxic.
Where it concerns turf.........yes.......if one desires the show place lawn.....hard work is necessary to achieve those ends.........so will be using pesticides.........Consider this........in the beginning to create the show lawn the requirement for something like weed preventers and killers is high in the beginning.......as the seasons pass the need for such treatments become less..........where you would start with doing broad area applications, this would eventualy lead to just doing spot treatements.........can take a lawn area that required 3 gallons of a broadleaf weed killer application at the beginning........end up with only having to apply a quart, maybe a half gallon of spray mix a couple seasons later
establish and maintain a healthy turf.......the need for chemicals drops

catlady said:
Morticia said:
The Farmers Daughter said:
Morticia said:
OMG!!! lmao! Thank you. That made my day!
I can identify with the caffeine spider btw! Thanks.
That was great!
heart.gif

We are a dog-friendly and child-friendly inn. By far, the dogs cause fewer problems than the kids. And, although we are very straightforward about our policies (all our rooms are dog-friendly), invariably we get the inquiry from a dog-sensitive person wanting to know if the room has ever had a dog in it. You're tempted to reply, "No, but one time when I was cleaning the bathroom in 14, a coyote snuck in and had puppies on the mattress. Not to worry, though; we got 90 percent of the stains out. You looking to adopt a puppy, by the way?"
Instead, we say, "All our rooms are dog-friendly. We clean them thoroughly after every guest departs, but depending on your sensitivity, this may not be the best place for you."
I had one inquiry who came back with, "But your rates are so *reasonable.* Couldn't you do a special cleaning of the room we want?"
Uh, no. High-maintenance people looking for bargains are a recipe for disaster.

HML you have spoken words of wisdom and are worthy to be quoted over and over again:
"High-maintenance people looking for bargains are a recipe for disaster"

I went to our do-it-yourself pest control store and got something at their suggestion which kills the eggs and adult fleas. It's a spray. Worked very well. Then, you have to keep up the vacuuming, emptying the bag, because it helps to pop any larvae that are hiding.

Back