For those of you who use Reservation Key

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Proud Texan

Reaction score
I'm trying to get my system together before going live in October and have been trying to work out a few bugs. Do any of you take up front deposits? I seem to be having trouble with this and can't get a straight answer from customer service.
I set my res system to take 100% of the 1st Night as a deposit with 100% of the Balance on Arrival. In theory, when someone makes a reservation shouldn't it be charging and deducting the first night, then reflect the balance on the confirmation?
My confirmations on my dummy reservations are all showing the full amount and nothing has been deducted. I will be using Authorize.net when I go live. Is it not removing the deposit because this isn't set up yet?

I have mine set 101% 1st night (the 1% is our tax) upon reservation request
Balane 0% remaining 100 upon arrival
I don't use Auth.net, I hand input the deposit charge the day I receive the reservation. Mine is set so that when I manually enter a payment in the reservation, it defaults to 'confirmed' (green) on the admin calendar.

Do your confirmations show that the amount has been deducted?.
Yes, as soon as I manually enter the deposit payment, it's reflected on the reservation, then the templet letter I created reflects the charges, deposits, balance, etc.

What we've found to be most effective is to take offline credit cards instead of trusting PayPal or authorize.net to take the payments for us (entering them into our merchant virtual terminal on our PayPal account after receiving the request). We've come across enough bugs or errors to know that it's cheaper to catch the problem with human eyes first than to have to refund whatever charges might have been incorrect. It may add a few minutes onto the processing time, but it's definitely worth it to make sure everything is error free! Our reservation request email just says that it may take up to two business days to process (in case we are sick or have a day off... haha... wishful thinking).

I got things worked out with John. There apparently was a communication breakdown because I, quite frankly, overwhelmed him with questions. The reason it was showing a $0.00 amount for the deposit because my dummy reservations were not drawing from a credit card source (like authorize.net) no funds = 0 deposit ......duh.
I had asked him about this specifically, but he apparently didn't understand what I was asking. Anyway, getting all the kinks ironed out with email templates. Should be ready to switch over next week. Yay!
I'm not going to miss Webervations.

I got things worked out with John. There apparently was a communication breakdown because I, quite frankly, overwhelmed him with questions. The reason it was showing a $0.00 amount for the deposit because my dummy reservations were not drawing from a credit card source (like authorize.net) no funds = 0 deposit ......duh.
I had asked him about this specifically, but he apparently didn't understand what I was asking. Anyway, getting all the kinks ironed out with email templates. Should be ready to switch over next week. Yay!
I'm not going to miss Webervations..
Glad you got it sorted out. I'm very interested to hear how you like Auth.net I guess the fees were worth switching for you.
ResKey is a far superior system than Webervations in my opinion. More functions, better looking, etc. Let us know when you go live so we can check it out on your site!

Proud Texan said:
I'm not going to miss Webervations.
I promise, you certainly won't! This makes Webervations look like a stone carving...
cheers.gif

Glad you got it sorted out. I'm very interested to hear how you like Auth.net I guess the fees were worth switching for you.
ResKey is a far superior system than Webervations in my opinion. More functions, better looking, etc. Let us know when you go live so we can check it out on your site!
Breakfast Diva said:
For Authorize.net, I was given two options: One is $10 per month plus a .20 transaction fee, the other is $5 per month with a .24 transaction fee.
I think it's going to save me money in the long run. Initially, I was preauthorizing cards then running the transaction at departure. Now I'll be taking the first night in advance that includes a non-refundable $25 reservation fee. If they cancel, I don't lose my transaction fees AND if their card is bad, no reservation.
I wonder if there is a way to block PITAs on our DNR list?

Breakfast Diva said:
For Authorize.net, I was given two options: One is $10 per month plus a .20 transaction fee, the other is $5 per month with a .24 transaction fee.
I think it's going to save me money in the long run. Initially, I was preauthorizing cards then running the transaction at departure. Now I'll be taking the first night in advance that includes a non-refundable $25 reservation fee. If they cancel, I don't lose my transaction fees AND if their card is bad, no reservation.
Proud Texan said:
That is the *only* and very compelling reason I still run all deposits myself.

Breakfast Diva said:
You say the first night in advance that will be charged includes a $25 reservation fee. So, you're charging your room rate plus $25?? If they don't cancel, do they get the $25 credited to their balance?

Breakfast Diva said:
You say the first night in advance that will be charged includes a $25 reservation fee. So, you're charging your room rate plus $25?? If they don't cancel, do they get the $25 credited to their balance?
Breakfast Diva said:
No, they get charged for the first night. If they cancel within the appropriate time frame, they are refunded all but $25 of their original deposit. That's why I say "includes" instead of "in addition to"

Breakfast Diva said:
Breakfast Diva said:
No, they get charged for the first night. If they cancel within the appropriate time frame, they are refunded all but $25 of their original deposit. That's why I say "includes" instead of "in addition to"
So really, it's just the regular deposit. We do it the same way.

Back