For those of you with inroom fireplaces...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Farmers Daughter

Reaction score
Do you have a fireplace "season" or are they available to guests year round?
Mine are propane and seasonally available between Oct - May. I do tell guests this in advance, but recently have been getting requests due to the unseasonably cool weather.
Ugg......Guess I should order that propane soon....*cringing at the expense*.

Our fireplaces are electric, and are available for use anytime (with or without heat).

Yep. we just bit the bullet yesterday and got our fuel oil. Should have done it a month ago as it had gone up 10cents. We only use it as auxillary fuel because we installed new heat pumps last year. But if it gets REALLY cold, the heat pump just doesn't get it for me. So we fire up the oil furnance to take the chill off the house.
We have/had electric fireplaces in our guest rooms so they can be used year round.with or without the heat.
Sounds like it is time for you to bite the bullet as well. Our friends with gas fireplaces have them "locked" or turned off the gas supply so that they cannot be used except during heating season.

We have 2 gas fireplaces, 1 wood burning and 1 electric in our guest rooms. The fireplaces are available for the guests to use all year.
Question...if you lock out the gas fireplaces, do your room rates go down? If I were a guest, I would feel gyped if I paid normal rates and could not use the fireplace if I wanted to. If you live in a very hot area, most people would never turn it on anyway during the hot times, but on those nights when it gets a little chilly, I would want the option.

For those of you with electric fireplaces, do you like them? We have a few rooms that could fit these, and we do a fair amount of cooler season business that I think they would get used. I guess my real question is do guests like them even though they are not "real"?

For those of you with electric fireplaces, do you like them? We have a few rooms that could fit these, and we do a fair amount of cooler season business that I think they would get used. I guess my real question is do guests like them even though they are not "real"?.
InnsiderInfo said:
For those of you with electric fireplaces, do you like them? We have a few rooms that could fit these, and we do a fair amount of cooler season business that I think they would get used. I guess my real question is do guests like them even though they are not "real"?
Our guests seem to like it. It's not the same as having a real flame, but it certainly adds charm and ambiance. If you have an electric fireplace in a room, I would make sure that in the description of that room you describe it as an electric fireplace and not just fireplace. You don't want people disappointed when they check in and see it's electric.

For those of you with electric fireplaces, do you like them? We have a few rooms that could fit these, and we do a fair amount of cooler season business that I think they would get used. I guess my real question is do guests like them even though they are not "real"?.
One room has a fireplace insert that is electric, and it does seems to get used. It's a popular room anyway, but I think the fireplace adds appeal in the fall and winter. I agree that you should be sure to mention that it is an electric fireplace. It would never pass muster as a wood fire but it looks enough like a gas fire to fool the eye.

Oh the first thing our guests say is WOW.how nice....when I turn our elec ones on. They love the ambiance of the fireplace no matter what type. We bought ours at Lowe's at were very satisfied with them. Never had any problems whatsoever.

We have propane stoves in each cabin. Ours are seasonal. We shut the pilot lights off when we stop having cold nights and start them up when the nightly temps start dropping.
On the fringe of the seasons it gets a little hard to decide, because on a hot day the pilot light can be enough to raise the temp of the room so people sometimes ask us to turn them off. But then of course if the temp drops at night..or even one day to the next, they want them lit.

Little Blue said:
We love them, and guests love them. I am always writing down Manufacturer information for the guests. I will add....MAKE SURE YOU BUY DIMPLEX brand....we've had others and always end up swapping them out...not as nice a display, and noisier than Dimplex. You can get them in any shape, size and cabinet style you like. I like finding them on ebay...it's always cheaper.
I agree that you should buy Dimplex...we've gone through a couple of cheap ones that seem fine in the beginning, but after awhile they break down, get noisy and had to be replaced with Dimplex. We had one problem with a Dimplex and they sent out a repair person right away (on warranty).

We love them, and guests love them. I am always writing down Manufacturer information for the guests. I will add....MAKE SURE YOU BUY DIMPLEX brand....we've had others and always end up swapping them out...not as nice a display, and noisier than Dimplex. You can get them in any shape, size and cabinet style you like, and they come with remote controls. I like finding them on ebay...it's always cheaper. For instance, I almost wish I needed a fireplace right now.....there is a brand new $2000.00 Dimplex fireplace on ebay right now at $799.00 with free shipping!

The Farmers Daughter said:
Mine are propane and seasonally available between Oct - May. I do tell guests this in advance, but recently have been getting requests due to the unseasonably cool weather.
I have a season and I state it as you do. I have noticed the past few days that guests have been fiddling with the control box. The propane is turned off but any halfway capable person could turn it on. We probably should shut it off in the basement. Yes, it is cold(er) but I still have yahoos who are turning the heat on and flinging the windows wide open, so not a chance the propane is going on until Oct. (Unless someone asks nicely.)

We have 2 gas fireplaces, 1 wood burning and 1 electric in our guest rooms. The fireplaces are available for the guests to use all year.
Question...if you lock out the gas fireplaces, do your room rates go down? If I were a guest, I would feel gyped if I paid normal rates and could not use the fireplace if I wanted to. If you live in a very hot area, most people would never turn it on anyway during the hot times, but on those nights when it gets a little chilly, I would want the option..
Breakfast Diva said:
Question...if you lock out the gas fireplaces, do your room rates go down? If I were a guest, I would feel gyped if I paid normal rates and could not use the fireplace if I wanted to. If you live in a very hot area, most people would never turn it on anyway during the hot times, but on those nights when it gets a little chilly, I would want the option.
Yes, my room rates are lower for one of the rooms with a fireplace when the fireplace is not usable. One room is not lower because it is a substantially larger room than any of the others.
Guests WILL turn the fireplace on even if it is 80 degrees outside. (I know this because it's been done here.) What they do next is turn the A/C on to cool the room off. They want the ambiance but they don't want to sweat. So, to keep myself from being a raving lunatic, I turn the propane off.

InnsiderInfo said:
I stayed at a place that stated they had 'fireplaces' in the room. Never was it mentioned that they were electric and that it was only for 'looks'. I was freezing and turned it on. Ended up having to climb into bed with the covers up to my nose to stay warm. If you get them, make sure you allow the option to turn the heat part on when it's your cold season.

I have a season and I state it as you do. I have noticed the past few days that guests have been fiddling with the control box. The propane is turned off but any halfway capable person could turn it on. We probably should shut it off in the basement. Yes, it is cold(er) but I still have yahoos who are turning the heat on and flinging the windows wide open, so not a chance the propane is going on until Oct. (Unless someone asks nicely.).
Bree said:
I have a season and I state it as you do. I have noticed the past few days that guests have been fiddling with the control box. The propane is turned off but any halfway capable person could turn it on. We probably should shut it off in the basement. Yes, it is cold(er) but I still have yahoos who are turning the heat on and flinging the windows wide open, so not a chance the propane is going on until Oct. (Unless someone asks nicely.)
Yep, me too. I have it turned off at the main feed so that no amount of tampering will turn it back on. This time of year, I still have my airconditioners in and people would turn on both the fireplace and the airconditioners. So I have it as one or the other, but they can't use them both at the same time. My rates do not go down. It costs just as much to run the AC as it does to use the propane.

I have a season and I state it as you do. I have noticed the past few days that guests have been fiddling with the control box. The propane is turned off but any halfway capable person could turn it on. We probably should shut it off in the basement. Yes, it is cold(er) but I still have yahoos who are turning the heat on and flinging the windows wide open, so not a chance the propane is going on until Oct. (Unless someone asks nicely.).
Bree said:
Yep, me too. I have it turned off at the main feed so that no amount of tampering will turn it back on. This time of year, I still have my airconditioners in and people would turn on both the fireplace and the airconditioners. So I have it as one or the other, but they can't use them both at the same time. My rates do not go down. It costs just as much to run the AC as it does to use the propane.
Bree said:
That makes sense to me. If you also offer air conditioning, then it's one or the other.

One electric fireplace which can be used year round if they want to for the ambiance. One room with a gas fireplace. I have a note in a small picture frame normally for folks to ask for help with turning it on. In our really warm months, the note says not to attempt to light the fireplace with the A/C running. That fireplace gets really hot, even with the pilot light on! There's no difference in the room rate. Folks rarely use that gas fireplace because it is warm so much of the year here.

Back