For those who have been around the "Innkeeping Block"...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
YENOM $ plus this is my retirement nest egg. I noticed years ago lots of retired people seemed to get a part time or full job after they had been retired two years or so. I still work full time (66 in Jan.) but will add more rooms and do this as I please when I retire in two years. Thats my plan,hope it work out...Mary in Bridgewater

FD - - I agree with BD. You know how planning a trip is half the fun? Well for us in these positions, it really is, gives you some thinking about OUT THERE and how great it will be, even if for a short getaway. Did you ever get to L.I. like you had hoped? I was going to ask where you stayed if you did and how you liked it.
The busier I am the more I try to plan for the time when I am not. Strange, I know, but it is a stress reliever and a goal...I live for goals..
Joe Bloggs said:
FD - - I agree with BD. You know how planning a trip is half the fun? Well for us in these positions, it really is, gives you some thinking about OUT THERE and how great it will be, even if for a short getaway. Did you ever get to L.I. like you had hoped? I was going to ask where you stayed if you did and how you liked it.
The busier I am the more I try to plan for the time when I am not. Strange, I know, but it is a stress reliever and a goal...I live for goals.
YES! I agree with Joe who agrees BD.
Planning an inn-mate escape can lift your spirits too!
Y'all git on out here and visit, you know you are more than welcome!
www.claibornehouse.net
It is great fun to meet in person!

The busier I am the more I try to plan for the time when I am not. Strange, I know, but it is a stress reliever and a goal...I live for goals..
Joe Bloggs said:
The busier I am the more I try to plan for the time when I am not. Strange, I know, but it is a stress reliever and a goal...I live for goals.
www.claibornehouse.net
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
www.claibornehouse.net
We can attest that it's great fun to visit the Claiborne! And the restaurant on the corner is excellent!!!
Riki

Joe Bloggs said:
www.claibornehouse.net
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Joe Bloggs said:
www.claibornehouse.net
Oh!!! your place is lovely! How did you take those cool 'fish eye' photographs on your site?

YENOM $ plus this is my retirement nest egg. I noticed years ago lots of retired people seemed to get a part time or full job after they had been retired two years or so. I still work full time (66 in Jan.) but will add more rooms and do this as I please when I retire in two years. Thats my plan,hope it work out...Mary in Bridgewater.
Mary at Bridgewater Inn and Cottage said:
LOL Is backwards money some kind of code for outcome as opposed to income? ;)

For our first five years, I felt that someone had to be at the Inn, ALL the time, when there were guests in house. Even if they were out enjoying the day, someone HAD to be here in case they came back. D. works outside the house during the week, so that leaves me. Many times, one of us has had to miss a family function or holiday celebration since I felt someone had to be here.
This summer for the first time, we made plans ahead on a few Saturdays and for some family functions when we had all stayovers. We would get their rooms cleaned quickly after they left for the day, and then spend the entire day outside the Inn, leaving our cell phone numbers for emergencies. The phone never rang once any of those times, and usually when we got home, no one had even been back yet at all.
Twice, I actually had my cousin stand in for me to receive checkins and take care of dessert. She works the front desk of the last resort I managed...trained her myself, so I know she can handle things here with ease. I've learned to loosen up a little bit, and (for me) getting out of the house to do something besides buy groceries is all I need.
Easily pleased, aren't I??!!

For our first five years, I felt that someone had to be at the Inn, ALL the time, when there were guests in house. Even if they were out enjoying the day, someone HAD to be here in case they came back. D. works outside the house during the week, so that leaves me. Many times, one of us has had to miss a family function or holiday celebration since I felt someone had to be here.
This summer for the first time, we made plans ahead on a few Saturdays and for some family functions when we had all stayovers. We would get their rooms cleaned quickly after they left for the day, and then spend the entire day outside the Inn, leaving our cell phone numbers for emergencies. The phone never rang once any of those times, and usually when we got home, no one had even been back yet at all.
Twice, I actually had my cousin stand in for me to receive checkins and take care of dessert. She works the front desk of the last resort I managed...trained her myself, so I know she can handle things here with ease. I've learned to loosen up a little bit, and (for me) getting out of the house to do something besides buy groceries is all I need.
Easily pleased, aren't I??!!.
Little Blue said:
I've learned to loosen up a little bit, and (for me) getting out of the house to do something besides buy groceries is all I need.
Intresting you mention this... I NEED TO LOOSEN UP A BIT! I STRESS OVER THIS STUFF!
This is going to be difficult. If you are not there exactly at 6pm to pick your child up from Marching band practice there are penalties…this is a good thing of course, and I only live a few blocks away (up hill and its stinkin' hot), I SHOULD be able to be there, right?
DH worked all day and HAS to mow the lawns (2+hour chore) – he worked all day in the heat yesterday getting those stairs in out front.
He is in his grubby clothes.
So I go to leave and what do you know, the guests arrive and are in the parking lot sitting in their car. I try to say hello and breeze past – he rolled the window down “Your Junie right?”
GRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!
There is NO LIFE owning a B&B. None. “You can do what you like?” NO YOU CAN’T.
You have to be here, all the time. From early hours breakfast to late check ins. And STRESS when you go anywhere else. Fall is our busiest time coming up, I don’t know how I am going to do this, I really don’t. I have asked DH to stay back from work and collect "Marching Band Practice Child" if he can start later and give me a hand at breakfast.
Of course this British couple could arrive at 4, or could arrive at 5, or could arrive at 7 or 8 or 9, but have to arrive just then. The other room showed up a few minutes ago. Mother Murphy’s law of innkeeping.

YENOM $ plus this is my retirement nest egg. I noticed years ago lots of retired people seemed to get a part time or full job after they had been retired two years or so. I still work full time (66 in Jan.) but will add more rooms and do this as I please when I retire in two years. Thats my plan,hope it work out...Mary in Bridgewater.
Mary at Bridgewater Inn and Cottage said:
LOL Is backwards money some kind of code for outcome as opposed to income? ;)
Maybe my outcome income is bigger than my income income, I 've done so many inprovements at the B&B and rental homes. It will all settle down in my 10 th year at this, when I just do the B&B. I hope..
rolleyes.gif
Mary in Bridgewater

Little Blue said:
I've learned to loosen up a little bit, and (for me) getting out of the house to do something besides buy groceries is all I need.
Intresting you mention this... I NEED TO LOOSEN UP A BIT! I STRESS OVER THIS STUFF!
This is going to be difficult. If you are not there exactly at 6pm to pick your child up from Marching band practice there are penalties…this is a good thing of course, and I only live a few blocks away (up hill and its stinkin' hot), I SHOULD be able to be there, right?
DH worked all day and HAS to mow the lawns (2+hour chore) – he worked all day in the heat yesterday getting those stairs in out front.
So I go to leave and what do you know, the guests arrive and are in the parking lot sitting in their car. I try to say hello and breeze past – he rolled the window down “Your Junie right?”
GRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!
You have to be here, all the time. From early hours breakfast to late check ins. And STRESS when you go anywhere else. Fall is our busiest time coming up, I don’t know how I am going to do this, I really don’t. I have asked DH to stay back from work and collect "Marching Band Practice Child" if he can start later and give me a hand at breakfast.
Of course this British couple could arrive at 4, or could arrive at 5, or could arrive at 7 or 8 or 9, but have to arrive just then. The other room showed up a few minutes ago. Mother Murphy’s law of innkeeping.
Junie I know we've discussed this before and I just hate to see you stressing so much about it. Is there a way to do your confirmations differently for this time period when your son/daughter has to be picked up right at 6? Just let people know that they must check in by whatever time you have to leave, and if they are not there just leave a note for them. I really think your guests would be very understanding, especially if they know ahead of time. And you know what? If they are NOT understanding, you know where I think they can go...

Little Blue said:
GRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!
Junie I know we've discussed this before and I just hate to see you stressing so much about it. Is there a way to do your confirmations differently for this time period when your son/daughter has to be picked up right at 6? Just let people know that they must check in by whatever time you have to leave, and if they are not there just leave a note for them. I really think your guests would be very understanding, especially if they know ahead of time. And you know what? If they are NOT understanding, you know where I think they can go...
Yes, I am just wanting so much to go to the first big game on Fri Sept 11th. I guess I could have closed the bookings on a weekend, but cut off my nose to spite my face. This game is against another rival and there will be hundreds at this game.
The background is my daughter is in Spec Ed, this is not just any kid who likes to be in band, this is a major accomplishment, major. She is going to school all day, then practicing after school for 3 hours marching in the HOT SUN. Then getting home and doing 2 hours of homework each night.
It is only til November, but I just don't want to miss out on this part of her life.
I will be putting notes on the door on that Friday, and come what may...
cheers.gif

Little Blue said:
GRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!
Yes, I am just wanting so much to go to the first big game on Fri Sept 11th. I guess I could have closed the bookings on a weekend, but cut off my nose to spite my face. This game is against another rival and there will be hundreds at this game.
The background is my daughter is in Spec Ed, this is not just any kid who likes to be in band, this is a major accomplishment, major. She is going to school all day, then practicing after school for 3 hours marching in the HOT SUN. Then getting home and doing 2 hours of homework each night.
It is only til November, but I just don't want to miss out on this part of her life.
cheers.gif

Is there anyone that can stand in for you on that day? Family, friend, staffer or even a temporary professional inn-sitter?

Little Blue said:
GRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!
cheers.gif

JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
cheers.gif
I have to agree with InnsiderInfo, most guests would totally understand such a special occasion coming up and you planning on attending it.
This is a big deal for your entire family and I think if told, the overwhelming majority of folks would just adjust their arrival so you don't have to miss out on the fun.
Sometimes it seems we ourselves tend to buy into this self-fulfilling prophecy that we have no lives, the guests don't, can't or won't work with us in the slightest, etc....
Or our self-inflicted guilt and anxiety over straddling the fence on putting guest needs over our own ties us up in knots.
I mean, how many times a year are we talking about something coming up that really messes up a check in day? A couple?
Out of hundreds? Out of thousands of stays?

I refuse to fall into that. I am on site from 7 am to 6 pm every day. After 6pm, everyone has my cell # in the event of emergency. Anyone coming in after 6 pm gets a self check in letter and the keyless entry code for the front door. Keys to thier room are left for them .
I don't live in a remote location and I can be reached if necessary. I have operated under the same parameters for 12 years.
I know plenty of innkeepers that don't go off site when guests are in the house and are put out, unhappy and resentful. I know one that has a home gym in his basement so he can work off his frustrations. I know another who simply drinks too much. Is it worth it? I don't think so.
My guests are all mature adults (for the most part) who don't need babysitting.

Little Blue said:
GRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!
cheers.gif

JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
cheers.gif
I have to agree with InnsiderInfo, most guests would totally understand such a special occasion coming up and you planning on attending it.
This is a big deal for your entire family and I think if told, the overwhelming majority of folks would just adjust their arrival so you don't have to miss out on the fun.
Sometimes it seems we ourselves tend to buy into this self-fulfilling prophecy that we have no lives, the guests don't, can't or won't work with us in the slightest, etc....
Or our self-inflicted guilt and anxiety over straddling the fence on putting guest needs over our own ties us up in knots.
I mean, how many times a year are we talking about something coming up that really messes up a check in day? A couple?
Out of hundreds? Out of thousands of stays?
"self-inflicted guilt and anxiety"
Well said, Tim. That's it exactly, and it took me until our sixth summer to see it.

Little Blue said:
GRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!
cheers.gif

If you have reservations for that night TELL THEM you must check in before___ PM or after ____. We have a resident of the house who will be tooting her own horn on the football field. The Stadium is located at ________ and here are the directions if you care to join us for a great Friday night. We will even treat you to tickets for the game, just let us know! (My high school game next Friday is $5 per. My friend told me my tickets are in the mail.)
If it is self-check-in, sobeit. GO. My Sat/Sun cancelled as I got another nibble who says they would be arriving Friday. I have already said a LATE arrival Friday would be required. Have not heard back - but I AM going. Anyone is welcome to look - as of now I have a VERY empty September. Such is life.

I refuse to fall into that. I am on site from 7 am to 6 pm every day. After 6pm, everyone has my cell # in the event of emergency. Anyone coming in after 6 pm gets a self check in letter and the keyless entry code for the front door. Keys to thier room are left for them .
I don't live in a remote location and I can be reached if necessary. I have operated under the same parameters for 12 years.
I know plenty of innkeepers that don't go off site when guests are in the house and are put out, unhappy and resentful. I know one that has a home gym in his basement so he can work off his frustrations. I know another who simply drinks too much. Is it worth it? I don't think so.
My guests are all mature adults (for the most part) who don't need babysitting..
The Farmers Daughter said:
My guests are all mature adults (for the most part) who don't need babysitting.
Really? I don't know of any that won't leave the house just simply because there are guests on the premises.
Even on a check in day, if I have shopping to do or other errands, they get done between 11-3 or get put off until its more convenient. The other day, I just had to shop and returned at 2:30 only to see the new arrivals sitting on the porch drinking wine. They arrived just after 1:00 with some lame excuse about "really trying hard to find something to do, but without any luck"
If they are dumb enough to risk never getting offered another stay here just by insulting our intelligence with that limp excuse that's fine. Just because they are too stupid to tell time or too boring to find something to do in this incredible place with all there is to see and do, then that's their perogative.
Judging by their excuses, they knew exactly what they were doing and frankly, I'm not going to rush even one minute just to further enable folks like that. They were just lucky we don't have a gate across our entrance, or they'd have had to use their brains a little.
Once folks are checked in, they can come and go as they please and except for the fluffs and preparation of the little 5-6pm refreshment we offer, our being here is not critical.

My guests are all mature adults (for the most part) who don't need babysitting..
I know lots of innkeepers who will NOT leave the premises if guests are there. If we wanted to go out to dinner or whatever, we went. We just made sure the guests knew we were not going to be there and they had a way to reach us if necessary. It never was.

Little Blue said:
GRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!
cheers.gif

Send them all a little reminder e-mail confirming their arrival on Friday Sept. 11th and remind them checkin time is xxxx-xxxx. If you'll be arriving past xxx o'clock, there will be self checkin information for you on the front porch. We really look forward to seeing you!
AND THEN JUST GO!!!! Don't worry about them, they'll be just fine. If they don't like it, too bad. They've been warned.
And as a musician in high school, I would have loved to have my family there to support me. It didn't happen. Go and support your daughter, she'll never forget later on that you put her as a priority for these activities. It's priceless.

Little Blue said:
GRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!
cheers.gif

Send them all a little reminder e-mail confirming their arrival on Friday Sept. 11th and remind them checkin time is xxxx-xxxx. If you'll be arriving past xxx o'clock, there will be self checkin information for you on the front porch. We really look forward to seeing you!
AND THEN JUST GO!!!! Don't worry about them, they'll be just fine. If they don't like it, too bad. They've been warned.
And as a musician in high school, I would have loved to have my family there to support me. It didn't happen. Go and support your daughter, she'll never forget later on that you put her as a priority for these activities. It's priceless.
Yes, we DO remember when our parents were there or not. My parents were always there - during footballs games in the concession stand, making and sellin popcorn, but there. Concerts, plays, whatever program it was - they were there. DH was amazed when i told him that (Daddy did not have an exactly smooth personality) mostly because HIS parents never went to anything until he graduated. And I mean NOTHING! Our kids suffered from the same problem I had - we were ALWAYS there. I missed a lot of ballgames because I had to work - but I was there for Parents Night and Senior Nights, concerts, etc. When I was not there DH was.
I hope JBJ takes everyone's advice and goes to the game - period! Whether her daughter remembers or not, JBJ will! and will be eaten by it forever.

My parents had absentee parenting styles and my mother was home, still is. Never showed an interest in anything. They are both alcoholics, so most of their life is inward focused. You know the way it is, you are either just like them or force yourself to be the opposite!
I have parents of a kid at a college here right now, just checked in, God bless em.

Back