For those who have been around the "Innkeeping Block"...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Farmers Daughter

Reaction score
How do you counteract stress and burnout?
What snaps you out of it when you think you can't take one more step, clean one more room or do one more load of wash?
What keeps you going strong? (other than coffee)
72305.gif

Tomorrow is another day and will bring something different into the mix. I have activities in my city that get me out of the house and away from DH. Sometimes those demands (city activities) are just as challenging. I have a Garden Club meeting Thursday and I am still working on getting beautification stuff and will soon have work to do with the Foundation I got them to establish but I know (have been warned) I have teed-off 2 sisters that are old as the hills and deaf as posts but who could be sources of trouble. So laundry, cleaning rooms, getting up at the crack of dawn after falling into bed at 1 or 2 AM can sometimes take a bckseat for me - helps with sanity. (Being insane already does not hurt either.)

Sometimes I just start planning my next vacation...or next day away from the B&B. I have been experiencing the same burnout feelings as you for the last few weeks...thought the day would never get here for a vacation (we leave at the end of the week!).
You also may want to do something around the place that is not in your daily duties but is related. Do something that seems to make you feel good and relieves stress. Pick out some fall plants and plant them... or purchase some new fall decorations. Get a good book and devote an allotment of time each day to read... well you get the idea.
Take a deep breath... As GH said 'tomorrow is another day' (I think she stole that from Scarlet)

Sometimes I just start planning my next vacation...or next day away from the B&B. I have been experiencing the same burnout feelings as you for the last few weeks...thought the day would never get here for a vacation (we leave at the end of the week!).
You also may want to do something around the place that is not in your daily duties but is related. Do something that seems to make you feel good and relieves stress. Pick out some fall plants and plant them... or purchase some new fall decorations. Get a good book and devote an allotment of time each day to read... well you get the idea.
Take a deep breath... As GH said 'tomorrow is another day' (I think she stole that from Scarlet).
I WILL think about it tomorrow!
6PM the phone rang - are you coming to the meeting or are you otherwise busy? Ooops! Activities meeting. I was not kidding about meetings....

A good long hike at a place we love or especially to somewhere we haven't been before.
The vacation planning idea seems to really hit home for us.
I know this will sound totally corny but doing an act of kindness for a neighbor or friend always jerks us back to reality about what our life's priorities are really all about.
Getting dressed up and trying a new restaurant is always a big hit with us.
We sometimes think about what our lives were like when we worked regular day jobs and how bored we were.

Take a deep breath... As GH said 'tomorrow is another day' (I think she stole that from Scarlet).
I do have the velvet drapes - but they are not green - they are burgundy....

A good long hike at a place we love or especially to somewhere we haven't been before.
The vacation planning idea seems to really hit home for us.
I know this will sound totally corny but doing an act of kindness for a neighbor or friend always jerks us back to reality about what our life's priorities are really all about.
Getting dressed up and trying a new restaurant is always a big hit with us.
We sometimes think about what our lives were like when we worked regular day jobs and how bored we were..
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
We sometimes think about what our lives were like when we worked regular day jobs and how bored we were.
That always is a good one! I think how miserable I was at different stages of my corp. career. That puts me back in the happy seat most of the time!

farmers daughter, you REALLY need some time off. time away from there. i don't know how. am just worried about you.

farmers daughter, you REALLY need some time off. time away from there. i don't know how. am just worried about you..
seashanty said:
farmers daughter, you REALLY need some time off. time away from there. i don't know how. am just worried about you.
lol! Thanks foryour concern, but my post is directed to us as a group rather than just me personally. I feel certain that we all struggle with many of the same issues. I haven't seen this one addressed yet....before I speak too soon, maybe I should use the search feature first.
lightbulb.gif

farmers daughter, you REALLY need some time off. time away from there. i don't know how. am just worried about you..
seashanty said:
lol! Thanks foryour concern, but my post is directed to us as a group rather than just me personally. I feel certain that we all struggle with many of the same issues. I haven't seen this one addressed yet....before I speak too soon, maybe I should use the search feature first.
lightbulb.gif

$$$$$$$!!!!

seashanty said:
lightbulb.gif

The Farmers Daughter said:
seashanty said:
lightbulb.gif
FD, Thanks for introducing a good thought provoking topic. I don't give a rat's ass if its been introduced before or not, its relevant to us all and the topic police can go knit if they don't want reiteration of anything.
This whole idea that you or anyone else needs to go do a week's worth of topic searching so a few members don't get their ancient bloomers in a bunch is ridiculous.

seashanty said:
lightbulb.gif

seashanty said:
lightbulb.gif
FD, Thanks for introducing a good thought provoking topic. I don't give a rat's ass if its been introduced before or not, its relevant to us all and the topic police can go knit if they don't want reiteration of anything.
This whole idea that you or anyone else needs to go do a week's worth of topic searching so a few members don't get their ancient bloomers in a bunch is ridiculous.
well, i answered with compassion and concern because Farmers Daughter ... if that does not describe how you feel 'personally' ... which is how you often seem to describe your working situation, then i mis-read your question.
i still say to the hypothetical innkeeper who DOES feel that way, 'you need a break. you sound overworked, stressed out and/or burnt out. i am worried about you.' and, if nearby, 'come over for tea.'
and Tim Toad - i didn't see ANYONE tell FD to go back and look at some old posts. she mentioned that herself. but i see that statement about 'check the old posts' on every forum i visit ~ a gardening group, a widows' group, a website development forum, just to mention a few ~ not just this one. why such harsh words from you??

seashanty said:
lightbulb.gif

seashanty said:
lightbulb.gif
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
Now you're just behaving badly. FD made that comment in jest, looking at posts from last week (if there were any) would be a wholly appropriate thing to do, and pointing people to previous discussions - ESPECIALLY RECENT ONES - is a wholly appropriate thing to do.
I could care less if you think this is me with my ancient bloomers in a twist - that comment was not necessary and was made just to stir the pot since you got no response on your other tirade. I don't have anyone else on this forum on ignore, but now I've got my first.

Looking forward to my vacation is what gets me through the busy season. It's just the push I need when I hit the wall!

FD - - I agree with BD. You know how planning a trip is half the fun? Well for us in these positions, it really is, gives you some thinking about OUT THERE and how great it will be, even if for a short getaway. Did you ever get to L.I. like you had hoped? I was going to ask where you stayed if you did and how you liked it.
The busier I am the more I try to plan for the time when I am not. Strange, I know, but it is a stress reliever and a goal...I live for goals.

FD - - I agree with BD. You know how planning a trip is half the fun? Well for us in these positions, it really is, gives you some thinking about OUT THERE and how great it will be, even if for a short getaway. Did you ever get to L.I. like you had hoped? I was going to ask where you stayed if you did and how you liked it.
The busier I am the more I try to plan for the time when I am not. Strange, I know, but it is a stress reliever and a goal...I live for goals..
Joe Bloggs said:
Did you ever get to L.I. like you had hoped? I was going to ask where you stayed if you did and how you liked it.
Unfortuately, no. Fate had other plans for me. My car wound up in the shop for some unexpected brake work. That cut my time short, so I ended up going up to the Pocono's to the Promised Land State Park (don't ask) and went kayaking around the lakes. I was only gone an overnight. It was nice to get away though...Thanks for asking. LI will have to wait for another time.

seashanty said:
lightbulb.gif

seashanty said:
lightbulb.gif
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
Now you're just behaving badly. FD made that comment in jest, looking at posts from last week (if there were any) would be a wholly appropriate thing to do, and pointing people to previous discussions - ESPECIALLY RECENT ONES - is a wholly appropriate thing to do.
I could care less if you think this is me with my ancient bloomers in a twist - that comment was not necessary and was made just to stir the pot since you got no response on your other tirade. I don't have anyone else on this forum on ignore, but now I've got my first.
muirford said:
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
Whoa everyone, just WHOA!
Whats all this fuss? Y'all are about as bad at horses at the gate at feeding time.
I did bring up the search topic of my own accord as I read about it in a previous post and was initially unaware of this feature. There was no former post about dealing with stress that I could find, but to confess, I didn't search for it until after the fact.

The busier I am the more I try to plan for the time when I am not. Strange, I know, but it is a stress reliever and a goal...I live for goals..
Joe Bloggs said:
Did you ever get to L.I. like you had hoped? I was going to ask where you stayed if you did and how you liked it.
Unfortuately, no. Fate had other plans for me. My car wound up in the shop for some unexpected brake work. That cut my time short, so I ended up going up to the Pocono's to the Promised Land State Park (don't ask) and went kayaking around the lakes. I was only gone an overnight. It was nice to get away though...Thanks for asking. LI will have to wait for another time.
Sorry you did not make it to LI. I used to go camping - no DH, no kids, no dog...- as my deep breath and restore sanity. Even one night can work wonders. ope it worked for you.

Joe Bloggs said:
Sorry you did not make it to LI. I used to go camping - no DH, no kids, no dog...- as my deep breath and restore sanity. Even one night can work wonders. ope it worked for you.
Oops had to delete this. Sorry

A little mini-break of some sort - lunch or coffee at the coffee shop with a friend, or alone if someone's not available - can really give me a lift. Just a change of scenery if I'm feeling tied down to the biz.

Back