For those with pools and spas

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 26

Reaction score
just received this today from the maine innkeepers association ... i spoke to someone there who said this is national
i don't have a pool or spa but thought i'd pass it along
Consumer Product Safety Commission
By December 19, 2008, ALL public pool owners/operators must:
• Install drain covers that meet the ANSI/ASME A112.19.8-2007 standard on EVERY drain/grate. A list of cover manufacturers can be found at www.cpsc.gov/whatsnew.html#pool•
Install an automatic shut-off system, gravity drainage system, Safety Vacuum Release System (SVRS), suction-limiting vent system or disable the drain, if the pool operates off of a SINGLE main drain. Pools and spas with unblockable drains are exempt from this requirement. A list of SVRS manufacturers can be found at www.cpsc.gov/whatsnew.html#pool.
• Ensure that dual or multiple main drains are at least 3 feet apart.
Pools And Spas Not Open On December 19, 2008 Are Not Required To Be In Compliance Until The Day The Pool Or Spa Is Re-opened!
The new Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act requires all new drain and grate covers be certified to all applicable standards starting on November 12, 2008.
CPSC staff recommends that to ELIMINATE and not just MITIGATE the drain entrapment hazard in pools and spas, pool owners should disable old drains or build new pools without any drains and use gutters, overflows and/or skimmers to provide water to the pump.
Have a question or concern about the Pool & Spa Safety Act?
Send an e-mail to
[email protected]

I got that one, too. I know some folks who are not members (who have a pool) so I hope they got that info somehow.

THis word here is PUBLIC....B & B pools /spas are not public..so will that apply?? I didn't follow the links.

THis word here is PUBLIC....B & B pools /spas are not public..so will that apply?? I didn't follow the links..
catlady said:
THis word here is PUBLIC....B & B pools /spas are not public..so will that apply?? I didn't follow the links.
I believe it WILL apply as the 'public' not the inn's family will be in the pool. Not 'open to the public' but these guests are not family. There may be a size exclusion, but I would not want to be the B&B that didn't follow the guidelines and had someone drown due to the drain not being proper.

THis word here is PUBLIC....B & B pools /spas are not public..so will that apply?? I didn't follow the links..
catlady said:
I believe it WILL apply as the 'public' not the inn's family will be in the pool. Not 'open to the public' but these guests are not family. There may be a size exclusion, but I would not want to be the B&B that didn't follow the guidelines and had someone drown due to the drain not being proper.
But most pools are located in the back yard of a private home / B & B. They are not open to the public...but guests...though I guess this is open ot interpretation????? As I said..did not read the site info.

well, since it was sent to all us innkeepers with b&b's, i am assuming it applies to pools that you allow guests to use. the drain issue is a dangerous one, small child being 'stuck' to the bottom of a pool because of the drain i seem to recall,
most likely those with pools know all about it and want to be safe. i don't have a pool or a spa.

There were several incidents - one in a PUBLIC pool (as in municipal type) and there was another a in hotel pool. A B & B is considered a public place in that the Public is invited into the facility as a PAYING guest. We are talking about friends down the street in for a swim, but even so, who in his right mind, knowing the problem and knowing it can be fixed would not fix it for the safety of his OWN family.
Just as anyone with a pool needs to have a "prison-type" fence, preferably with razorwire at the top, to avoid a lawsuit from trespassers, anyone with a pool shoud do everything possible to fix the drain suction for the same reason - it will bite you hard somewhere down the road if you don't.

Back