Foreign to your guests - Standard to your B&B

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
European and US travelers seem to want it light. We make mini-muffins and serve toast sliced from a home-baked one-pound loaf, instead of the usual 2-pounder. We even had to scrap old waffle maker for a model that produces at 60% the old serving size. Some people hate to waste food; some people will leave food no matter how small the portion. Food waste happens.

European and US travelers seem to want it light. We make mini-muffins and serve toast sliced from a home-baked one-pound loaf, instead of the usual 2-pounder. We even had to scrap old waffle maker for a model that produces at 60% the old serving size. Some people hate to waste food; some people will leave food no matter how small the portion. Food waste happens..
Tom said:
European and US travelers seem to want it light.
Good points, and I agree. But when you serve the mini stuff, just make sure there's enough for ME go get seconds! I like a big breakfast when I'm on vacation (I live on Atkins Chocolate Chip Granola Bars for breakfast when I'm not on vacation).

European and US travelers seem to want it light. We make mini-muffins and serve toast sliced from a home-baked one-pound loaf, instead of the usual 2-pounder. We even had to scrap old waffle maker for a model that produces at 60% the old serving size. Some people hate to waste food; some people will leave food no matter how small the portion. Food waste happens..
Tom said:
Good points, and I agree. But when you serve the mini stuff, just make sure there's enough for ME go get seconds! I like a big breakfast when I'm on vacation (I live on Atkins Chocolate Chip Granola Bars for breakfast when I'm not on vacation).
Arkansawyer said:
Tom said:
There is always an exception to the rule. Our recent English visitors finished off a quiche with potatoes, thick-sliced bacon and fresh fruit with juice and coffee. The meal was so light, they had to be carried out on stretchers.

Tom said:
Arkansawyer said:
Tom said:
There is always an exception to the rule. Our recent English visitors finished off a quiche with potatoes, thick-sliced bacon and fresh fruit with juice and coffee. The meal was so light, they had to be carried out on stretchers.
We always have plenty of food. Even with just a few tables, I have been doing buffet for fruit and breakfast meat (aka pork) and invite folk to go back for 2nds. Indeed, people start virtuous, and will go pick up another sausage. What I am trying to do is let people feel in control of their portions by not overloading the plate - they get to do that.
Of course, after the most diet conscious types have enjoyed a nice farm breakfast (local eggs to order, home bakery, etc.), I announce the next course is country fried pork chops and gravy ... beat ... just kidding. I get the greatest looks of spontaneous horror.

Tom said:
Arkansawyer said:
Tom said:
We always have plenty of food. Even with just a few tables, I have been doing buffet for fruit and breakfast meat (aka pork) and invite folk to go back for 2nds. Indeed, people start virtuous, and will go pick up another sausage. What I am trying to do is let people feel in control of their portions by not overloading the plate - they get to do that.
Of course, after the most diet conscious types have enjoyed a nice farm breakfast (local eggs to order, home bakery, etc.), I announce the next course is country fried pork chops and gravy ... beat ... just kidding. I get the greatest looks of spontaneous horror.
Tom said:
There was spontaneous horror here when I read that! I was served a huge brekkie like that a week running in GA and had to start asking what was being served so they didn't waste it on me.

In the UK 95% of people have electric kettles do people mainly boil water on the hob in the US? my sister uses the hob but is considered excenric.?.
In the UK 95% of people have electric kettles do people mainly boil water on the hob in the US? my sister uses the hob but is considered excenric.?
Microwave here. Most people don't even use a kettle of any kind. The number of electric kettles I could have sold here in 6 years would allow me to retire!
I'm a kiwi married to an American. It took me a while to work out that electric kettles were an oddity here (and an essential piece of kitchen equipment back home). Figures though considering we drink a lot more tea. I have a theory about the role of tea as a social mechanism in the commonwealth - it's surprising what you need to think about for the sake of marital bliss :)

Back