Forgetting names

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alibi Ike

Reaction score
I hate drawing a blank when it comes to a long-time repeat guest's name. It's worse when they get out of the car and they're not registered. And they think they have a reservation. And I can't look anything up because I can't remember their names! So I had to ask. Embarrassing.

Just tell them you always called them by their room name, our favorite guests in the garden room. haha

Just tell them you always called them by their room name, our favorite guests in the garden room. haha.
It's so much more, too...I looked up their previous rez and have her down as 'Jane' in one of them and 'Barbara' in another. And now I don't know which it is! (Yes, the same woman was her every time!)

I always say "How is your last name spelled again?" when I know I'm supposed to know them...although sounds like that wouldn't have helped in this case!

Just tell them you always called them by their room name, our favorite guests in the garden room. haha.
It's so much more, too...I looked up their previous rez and have her down as 'Jane' in one of them and 'Barbara' in another. And now I don't know which it is! (Yes, the same woman was her every time!)
Barbara Jane must be her name. (Probably heard her husband calling her one of those names and thought what you had was wrong. My cousin Linda's husband calls her Fred - that would be a confuser!)

This cracked me up at breakfast yesterday...two couples introducing themselves to each other. One gentleman was Irish, and his Irish name is different from his American one, so he was explaining how he spelled it, etc. The husband of the other couples says "I'm Bob. WIth one o...sometimes my wife spells it with two"! Cute.

we were laughing (slightly off topic) that when you buy a B&B you stop having a last name. I was telling the new owners of the Fountains that they are no longer Jane smith but Jane from the Fountains. Im Kim from the Camberley as if I have to say Kimberley from the Camberley I may loose the plot!

we were laughing (slightly off topic) that when you buy a B&B you stop having a last name. I was telling the new owners of the Fountains that they are no longer Jane smith but Jane from the Fountains. Im Kim from the Camberley as if I have to say Kimberley from the Camberley I may loose the plot!.
I do the same thing. When I am asked for an innkeepers 'real' last name, I am hard-pressed at times to come up with it! We even answer our phone calls to each other with 'Hi Mountain Inn, what's up?'

we were laughing (slightly off topic) that when you buy a B&B you stop having a last name. I was telling the new owners of the Fountains that they are no longer Jane smith but Jane from the Fountains. Im Kim from the Camberley as if I have to say Kimberley from the Camberley I may loose the plot!.
I do the same thing. When I am asked for an innkeepers 'real' last name, I am hard-pressed at times to come up with it! We even answer our phone calls to each other with 'Hi Mountain Inn, what's up?'
I know I had to actually look up one of my neighbour B&B's names on their web site! and ive known them about 3 years!

I was dining at the bar of my wife's and my favorite restaurant. There was another couple sitting just down from us. It was obvious they were visiting from out of the area, so I struck up a conversation with them. I asked them where they were from, if they were enjoying their visit... I then asked them where they were staying. The husband looked me in they and said, "We're staying with you, you checked us in this afternoon!"

I was dining at the bar of my wife's and my favorite restaurant. There was another couple sitting just down from us. It was obvious they were visiting from out of the area, so I struck up a conversation with them. I asked them where they were from, if they were enjoying their visit... I then asked them where they were staying. The husband looked me in they and said, "We're staying with you, you checked us in this afternoon!".
embaressed_smile.gif

I was dining at the bar of my wife's and my favorite restaurant. There was another couple sitting just down from us. It was obvious they were visiting from out of the area, so I struck up a conversation with them. I asked them where they were from, if they were enjoying their visit... I then asked them where they were staying. The husband looked me in they and said, "We're staying with you, you checked us in this afternoon!".
Oh that's a good one.

Oof! That one had to hurt. I LIVE in dread of this, any time we go to any of our "recommended" dining spots.

Oof! That one had to hurt. I LIVE in dread of this, any time we go to any of our "recommended" dining spots.
I have this happen walking around in town fairly often...guests from last week will wave and say 'hi!' and I have no idea who they are. Or they just checked in and then changed clothes. I seem to remember clothing better than faces!

gpacurar said:
I was dining at the bar of my wife's and my favorite restaurant. There was another couple sitting just down from us. It was obvious they were visiting from out of the area, so I struck up a conversation with them. I asked them where they were from, if they were enjoying their visit... I then asked them where they were staying. The husband looked me in they and said, "We're staying with you, you checked us in this afternoon!"
Don't feel bad. I was doing a table at our Welcome Center at the Maryland border and guests - per arangement - stopped in to pick up the keys. When I got home they were on the proch chatting with DH - and I thought they were the other couple checking in that day! I had given them the keys and fogotten their faces in a couple hours. Ooops!!!

Thanks for giving me a good laugh this morning! I sure needed it!

That is sooooo funny! Reminded me of when we had a returning couple registered...the hubby shared by phone that his wife had been very very ill and was looking forward to the getaway. I was pretty certain I had remembered them...so when a couple in which the man looked a lot like the hubby, but the wife was very very thin, I greeted them as if they were the couple I thought they were...even gave the sick wifey a brief embrace. I thought oh my she has lost so much weight with her illness. Imagine my embarrassment when MY DH walked in the door right behind them and told me he had just invited this new couple (a drop in couple looking for a room) in to look at an available room!! I explained I thought they were someone else and the thin wife said, "and I thought this inn is really a friendly place, I have already decided we will stay!" Finally, the real guests did arrive, and the wife was not thin at all. From that point on, I was dreading the moment when all the guests might be gathered in the same place and the thin wife and the still fluffy wife might meet and share the hugging story. Lucky for me, but not for the real guest (meaning previously registered guest), she was unable to come for breakfast and the two of them never met, to my knowledge.

Back