Forum Cleaning

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swirt

Forum founder. Former Owner.
Reaction score
Just to let everyone know.... we've outgrown our space so I am doing a bit of "cleaning".
Our database has grown to within 1MB of getting turned off for being too big (100MB of text), and the advertising is not generating enough money to pay for a more robust hosting plan, so as much as it kills me, I am getting rid of some content. (I know you always hear me saying don't delete pages ;) )
There are too many posts for me to agonize over each and every thread, so for now I am going through and bulk deleting any post that is more than a year and a half old and has 1 or fewer comments. Hopefully this will get us down to size to keep us going longer AND it should make it easier to browse through older posts with more meaty discussion.
As you can imagine, the "Off topic", Chat Vent Cry, and Inn the News are hardest hit by this downsizing.

I have been wondering as we approach the 100,000th post if we were being too chatty. Cut away. We probably won't miss most of it. But at least we won't be scratching our collective heads wondering 'did I post that? I thought I posted that,' and searching fruitlessly.
Maybe we need a 'like' button so we don't have to type. Joke. Just kidding.

Cleaning. What a good subject for all of us that spend a lot of time "doing it".

Don't let this deter the ongoing discussions, and please don't contemplate with every post whether it should be posted or not. I didn't mean to set off any panic. Continue on, business as usual and let take care of the rest ;)

Thanks swirt for have a "place" for us to come to!
teeth_smile.gif

Don't let this deter the ongoing discussions, and please don't contemplate with every post whether it should be posted or not. I didn't mean to set off any panic. Continue on, business as usual and let take care of the rest ;).
swirt said:
Don't let this deter the ongoing discussions, and please don't contemplate with every post whether it should be posted or not. I didn't mean to set off any panic. Continue on, business as usual and let take care of the rest ;)
Oh, surely you jest. Like we would shut up.

Don't let this deter the ongoing discussions, and please don't contemplate with every post whether it should be posted or not. I didn't mean to set off any panic. Continue on, business as usual and let take care of the rest ;).
swirt said:
Only if he could figure out how to get the duct tape through the monitor. (or the ruler to crack our knuckles!)

We all need a haircut once in a while...cut away!
Off topic and chat can be cleaned out entirely and start afresh imo. Resources and good stuff should be elsewhere anyway.
Thanks for all you do Swirt!

You go ahead and do your thing:) I find it irritating when some reply to posts that are over a year old just because some spam brought it to the top again. THANKS we need a good house cleaning :)

I think this is a great idea. I have read through the majority of the posts, even the old ones.
help.gif
Not that there isn't lots of info here, it is a goldmine. But I think the real value of the forum is that it offers up to date information and advice about situations and products that are constantly changing. Out with the old, in with the new!

Thanks everybody for the encouragement. The cleanup is done for a while. I'll be doing more periodically (every 3-6 months) or when the database starts getting close to full.

That should also help when doing a search for relevant information. It's quite daunting to sift through the search results sometimes.

BTW, does this mean it's all really gone? Disappeared? Unlike other stuff on the internet that comes back to haunt you later on?

swirt said:
Alibi Ike said:
Where IS that like button?
LIKE!!
=)
Kk.

BTW, does this mean it's all really gone? Disappeared? Unlike other stuff on the internet that comes back to haunt you later on?.
Gone as in gone gone LOL
What has been removed (geekspeak is "Pruning") is gone from this site. It no longer exists in the database. If someone else has cached it somewhere (like the waybackmachine) I can't say for sure. But what I can say is I don't have any archived copies of it.

"Chat Vent Cry" is really only for the moment. New reasons to post seem to come up all the time.
Thanks for running the site, though. It has added a lot of perspective to being a new innkeeper -- 500 days running -- and has helped me get straight some of the more dificult people-business problems such as cancellations, charges, guest management.

Back