Forum Trivia - Threads that interest you most?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
Another thread brought up the "wish we could mark this thread as ignore" which is a bit more complicated to execute than just wishing it, per Swirt.
So I just wanted to ask y'all, what sort of threads do you really rarely read or get much out of? No offence to anyone who enjoys them, as we are all cut from different cloths.
Is it necessarily the threads with the most replies that are the most interesting? Some seem to go on and on and people have input but they are not "hot topics."
Also just because a thread sits with very few replies does not mean it is not helpful, it may be an area we feel we should not tread or have no input for it. So I hope those threads that have fewer replies are not offended, or not feeling "the love" of the forum. Like an announcement of something special.

1. Cleaning, laundry, households chores, thread count and where to buy linens, and such do not interest me in the least.
  2. Recipes if they have photos interest me, but there is no reason to comment, so keep 'em comin!
  3. Horrible guest stories - I AM THERE. I am thankful for the horror stories to share the experience and for us all to learn from it. I know many times it is posted then we plea for an update!
  4. Mishaps - love those
  5. Anything humorous or lighthearted - love those
  6. Links to useful web tools - love those
  7. Links to short and sweet articles - love those
  8. Griping and complaining - not so much.
  9. Spearing a directory or online business - not so much
  10. Credit card processing and rigamorole - not so much
  11. Long articles - not so much
  12. Personal Sagas with a bit too much information - not so much
  13. Inn the news - Any one care to share if this is useful to you at all? I have not had any real "news" for a long time, although I do get the google alerts. Specials at the inns primarily fills the email - that is not really news. Also some controversial issues had arisen re discrimination - and I have not posted any here, or the discussion would turn ugly and blood pressures up.
  14. Industry updates and announcements - love those
  15. Renovation before and after photos - love those
  16. Sharing your website and/or blog - love those
  17. Photos of seasons, your gardens, your porch, your rooms etc - love those
  18. Specials or marketing ideas - love those

'Orphan' threads. I feel sorry for them.
What I like best are the guest stories because we can all relate. I like the 'nuggets' of wisdom that you post. Hate having to click a link to go read stuff, tho. I generally won't click off site unless it's a resource I can use. Or a 'top 10' list of some sort.
If a thread doesn't interest me I just mark it as read and move along the list.
Hate to say it but the 'I'm a wonderful innkeeper, look what I did, you should all be like me' threads don't appeal. Mostly because I'm envious. At least I know my demons!
wink_smile.gif

1. Cleaning, laundry, households chores, thread count and where to buy linens, and such do not interest me in the least.
  2. Recipes if they have photos interest me, but there is no reason to comment, so keep 'em comin!
  3. Horrible guest stories - I AM THERE. I am thankful for the horror stories to share the experience and for us all to learn from it. I know many times it is posted then we plea for an update!
  4. Mishaps - love those
  13. Inn the news - Any one care to share if this is useful to you at all? I have not had any real "news" for a long time, although I do get the google alerts. Specials at the inns primarily fills the email - that is not really news. Also some controversial issues had arisen re discrimination - and I have not posted any here, or the discussion would turn ugly and blood pressures up.
Great list, JB. I totally concur that you've hit the nail on the head for me in your list (especially with the innkeeper hat on).
My least favorite threads are the ones that are about some personal experience or daily happening, that's not humorous but might be griping, not related to innkeeping. I get enough of that from my friends on FB.
wink_smile.gif

Although I'm not an innkeeper anymore, I do glean info here that's relevant to some of the things that I'm now involved in....

4. Mishaps - love those
I think that what makes this forum so great is that there is something for everyone. Threads that are of interest to aspirings about cleaning and linen sources would not be interesting to some who have that down. Other threads which are more personal are the ones I just click to mark read and move on. Enjoy the guest stories very much, pretty much read everything.

I look at 'em all! I don't like having to click a link so sometimes I do skip some of those, but if the topic sounds interesting I will click thru.
My most favorite threads are the personal stories, I love hearing from others who are in the trenches with me. All of your support and advice is appreciated.
I'm with Ike, the "I'm a wonderful innkeeper and I can't imagine anyone would have any complaints" threads don't interest me, I"m glad you're life is perfect but mine is far from it and sometimes this forum is the only sympathetic ear I can get. Not even our families understand what our lives are like, only our fellow innmates can understand.

To be fair the links are there as we aren't supposed to just copy the information, so sometimes I post the twitter link and such, or give credit but they could get really ticked off at that. I figure a short article with credit to them AND link should make them happy, but it isn't always the case. ugh So I try to be careful and just post the link, it is not being lazy it is being careful.
I posted one on here once and the gal went ballistic, and i had "read the whole article here..." with the link, but the one paragraph sent her over the edge, I removed the whole thing. She is an AVID INN-GOER by the way and responded like a maniac. Thankfully she doesn't typically travel - these parts.
wow.gif

I apologize for my vents. When one has no one else they can vent to it helps to just get it out of the system and just typing it to yourself does not do it. Will try to do better at stuffing it in the future.

I apologize for my vents. When one has no one else they can vent to it helps to just get it out of the system and just typing it to yourself does not do it. Will try to do better at stuffing it in the future..
Don't try and stuff it. When I've really reached rock-bottom innspiring (or certain patient innmates) will get the brunt of my anguish.
As some wise person pointed out - by the time I've got there I'm not looking for solutions I'm just dumping on a group of fellow innkeepers who I hope will understand. I have to remember that the new guests were probably not the ones that got me there in the first place and making them pay for it is not fair ......
Although, rereading this e-mail I seem to think it's OK to have you guys pay for it ..... you're right GH - I'm sorry too
embaressed_smile.gif

I apologize for my vents. When one has no one else they can vent to it helps to just get it out of the system and just typing it to yourself does not do it. Will try to do better at stuffing it in the future..
Don't try and stuff it. When I've really reached rock-bottom innspiring (or certain patient innmates) will get the brunt of my anguish.
As some wise person pointed out - by the time I've got there I'm not looking for solutions I'm just dumping on a group of fellow innkeepers who I hope will understand. I have to remember that the new guests were probably not the ones that got me there in the first place and making them pay for it is not fair ......
Although, rereading this e-mail I seem to think it's OK to have you guys pay for it ..... you're right GH - I'm sorry too
embaressed_smile.gif

The Tipsy Butler said:
embaressed_smile.gif
I won't apologize, and I won't accept your apologies...I am SO happy when I get the chance to be the shoulder to cry on or just the one to say "Poor Baby". That makes a huge difference when someone does it for me and I'm glad if I can turn it around for someone else
teeth_smile.gif

I look at 'em all! I don't like having to click a link so sometimes I do skip some of those, but if the topic sounds interesting I will click thru.
My most favorite threads are the personal stories, I love hearing from others who are in the trenches with me. All of your support and advice is appreciated.
I'm with Ike, the "I'm a wonderful innkeeper and I can't imagine anyone would have any complaints" threads don't interest me, I"m glad you're life is perfect but mine is far from it and sometimes this forum is the only sympathetic ear I can get. Not even our families understand what our lives are like, only our fellow innmates can understand..
"I'm a wonderful innkeeper and I can't imagine anyone would have any complaints"
DD - Be honest with me. Do I do this? OK, I know I do, but it's never meant to be offensive or self-serving. Sometimes I doubt my innkeeping style so much that I breathe a huge sigh of relief when I have a validation from a guest.

Please don't. I do think this is the place to rant, anyone who doesn't want to read it can click it read. I hope my comment didn't lead to this post, I get lost sometimes reading personal back and forth that I don't have a clue about. Just go huh? O.K., and click on.

embaressed_smile.gif

The Tipsy Butler said:
embaressed_smile.gif
I won't apologize, and I won't accept your apologies...I am SO happy when I get the chance to be the shoulder to cry on or just the one to say "Poor Baby". That makes a huge difference when someone does it for me and I'm glad if I can turn it around for someone else
teeth_smile.gif

cry_smile.gif
(good tears)

I'm with Ike, the "I'm a wonderful innkeeper and I can't imagine anyone would have any complaints" threads don't interest me, I"m glad you're life is perfect but mine is far from it and sometimes this forum is the only sympathetic ear I can get. Not even our families understand what our lives are like, only our fellow innmates can understand..
"I'm a wonderful innkeeper and I can't imagine anyone would have any complaints"
DD - Be honest with me. Do I do this? OK, I know I do, but it's never meant to be offensive or self-serving. Sometimes I doubt my innkeeping style so much that I breathe a huge sigh of relief when I have a validation from a guest.
Tipsy - you are a hugely positive person which I NEED! You are not "Pollyanna" (neither is Pollyanna, for that matter
teeth_smile.gif
).
I'm actually not talking about anyone here in particular, just sometimes when I'm on a particular tear I'm not really in the mood to hear how the problem I'm having never comes up for some and they don't understand what I'm ranting about...just ignore me please, any attempts at making the problem seem smaller just get perceived by me as condescending.

Tipsy - you are a hugely positive person which I NEED! You are not "Pollyanna" (neither is Pollyanna, for that matter
teeth_smile.gif
).
I'm actually not talking about anyone here in particular, just sometimes when I'm on a particular tear I'm not really in the mood to hear how the problem I'm having never comes up for some and they don't understand what I'm ranting about...just ignore me please, any attempts at making the problem seem smaller just get perceived by me as condescending.
Don Draper said:
teeth_smile.gif
).
This media is not effective in demonstrating the emotions behind what we say. If I say it short people tell me i am blunt, if I say it long people think I am whinging. Sometimes to share something is not a complaint. BUT there are some who like to complain for complaining sake. I will hear complaints but not about other people, that is gossip and none of my business. Hard to express that, but if you are having a hard time, or a guest is difficult share it we can comisserate with you, but to complain about a spouse or a boss, I won't listen. Sorry. I am not at your water cooler. I gave up the office crap-fest a long time ago.
wink_smile.gif

So there is no perfect solution, but when push comes to shove - we are here, give us a chance to share, we DO know what it is like for most of the time. Our hearts go out to you! (I am thankful when I can come here with an issue, or two, or three...)
OTOH - when you open your heart and have someone say "This is hospitality, get used to it" it hurts. I have THAT person on ignore, so I don't have to feel belittled when they arrive at the forum to basic tell others how it is done - (even though most of us have been doing it full time for years with higher occupancy and more rooms! ) Yes, I AM talking about someone here - on the forum) No worries. Ignore works well. :)

teeth_smile.gif
).
Don Draper said:
teeth_smile.gif
).
This media is not effective in demonstrating the emotions behind what we say. If I say it short people tell me i am blunt, if I say it long people think I am whinging. Sometimes to share something is not a complaint. BUT there are some who like to complain for complaining sake. I will hear complaints but not about other people, that is gossip and none of my business. Hard to express that, but if you are having a hard time, or a guest is difficult share it we can comisserate with you, but to complain about a spouse or a boss, I won't listen. Sorry. I am not at your water cooler. I gave up the office crap-fest a long time ago.
wink_smile.gif

So there is no perfect solution, but when push comes to shove - we are here, give us a chance to share, we DO know what it is like for most of the time. Our hearts go out to you! (I am thankful when I can come here with an issue, or two, or three...)
OTOH - when you open your heart and have someone say "This is hospitality, get used to it" it hurts. I have THAT person on ignore, so I don't have to feel belittled when they arrive at the forum to basic tell others how it is done - (even though most of us have been doing it full time for years with higher occupancy and more rooms! ) Yes, I AM talking about someone here - on the forum) No worries. Ignore works well. :)
but to complain about a spouse or a boss
But my GUESTS are usually great! It is DH that makes me start looking for the Hefty bags and Tide. You met him. He is really a nice person - but try living with him 24/7 on his "down" days and you will understand why I come whining. I will go back to my corner and work on my taxes now. It would be done quicker if he did not keep coming in with things he needs/wants. Like noew.

teeth_smile.gif
).
Don Draper said:
teeth_smile.gif
).
wink_smile.gif

But my GUESTS are usually great! It is DH that makes me start looking for the Hefty bags and Tide. You met him. He is really a nice person - but try living with him 24/7 on his "down" days and you will understand why I come whining. I will go back to my corner and work on my taxes now. It would be done quicker if he did not keep coming in with things he needs/wants. Like noew.
Ok, I love that we ALL assume every bad comment is specifically about us...I think this is a very common thread among innkeepers and those with our personality types!

Promotion tips, cleaning tips, still hoping someone will post about true cotton no-iron sheets that they love, oh, and a toaster they love too.
Like the challenging (about whatever topic) posts people write about. Waterproof mattress pads appeared on our beds after reading one of those several years ago!
I actually enjoyed the Air accomodations thread that came up again recently. It reminded me that promotion for our new vacation rental (separate from the B&B) must start soon. Even dead threads can be good.

teeth_smile.gif
).
Don Draper said:
teeth_smile.gif
).
wink_smile.gif

Ok, I love that we ALL assume every bad comment is specifically about us...I think this is a very common thread among innkeepers and those with our personality types!
Guilty as charged.
smileystooges.gif

Back