Forward or backward

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
Innspiration
Forward or backward
Once you stop pushing for growth & improvement and start treading water, you'll go backwards, no matter how much defense you play. Keep pushing, no matter what you have accomplished. If you don't want to, it's time to get out, because that's not going to work in this game.
Forward or backward, but you can't stay here.

thumbs_up.gif

Thanks for sharing. I am in this predicament with a group I belong to. You just don't "quit" them...but I can't take much more of it.

It's quite true. We are currently working through the next big step. It's what you have to do and it helps if you enjoy it. I'm grateful that I still like learning about and preparing for the next thing. Along with that comes a certain excitement when you know your goal might seem crazy to others and you are stepping out of your comfort zone.

Joey Bloggs said:
If you don't want to, it's time to get out, because that's not going to work in this game.
Excellent. And this final statement is true in most EVERY aspect of your life. Relationships, career, personal goals....when you recognize (and hopefully you do!) that you just don't want to do anything to improve YOU or the situation, it's time to call it quits.

I figured this to be the year we stop putting all the money back into the business and start keeping some of it for ourselves. I was looking at that as treading water.
I wasn't looking at it as a bad thing.

I figured this to be the year we stop putting all the money back into the business and start keeping some of it for ourselves. I was looking at that as treading water.
I wasn't looking at it as a bad thing..
Madeleine said:
I wasn't looking at it as a bad thing.
I don't think the quote was about spending money. I think of it more of how can I make things better. Sometimes that involves money, sometimes not. I really think it's important that you DO keep some of your money because if you don't, all that will happen is that you will resent the biz.

it isn't always about money - could be setting some time aside to write blog articles, read that book on marketing tips you havn't got round to - can be a million things
For me its thinking about how to tackle particular events to get more business out of them

it isn't always about money - could be setting some time aside to write blog articles, read that book on marketing tips you havn't got round to - can be a million things
For me its thinking about how to tackle particular events to get more business out of them
Joey Camb said:
Yeah, see, I think it is time to retire. I'm just not interested in marketing any longer. That's my whole August ennui thing. I'm exhausted. Mentally fatigued by the whole idea of trying to figure out the next big thing, being on 4-5 different social media platforms, etc.
Totally dry here. Can't have the life sucked out of me anymore.

Joey Camb said:
Yeah, see, I think it is time to retire. I'm just not interested in marketing any longer. That's my whole August ennui thing. I'm exhausted. Mentally fatigued by the whole idea of trying to figure out the next big thing, being on 4-5 different social media platforms, etc.
IF you truly feel this way, why not just put your place on the market and see what happens? What do you have to lose? You can do for sale by owner and just maybe ...who knows.
Maybe it is time to retire and fill your life with what YOU want to do.
Maybe you can head to Italy and really practice your Italian. Stranger things have happened :)

Joey Camb said:
Madeleine said:
Joey Camb said:
heart.gif

Joey Camb said:
IF you truly feel this way, why not just put your place on the market and see what happens? What do you have to lose? You can do for sale by owner and just maybe ...who knows.
Maybe you can head to Italy and really practice your Italian. Stranger things have happened :)
Money. Plain and simple. I'm too young to retire and damned if I'll go work for someone else. ;-)

Joey Camb said:
Money. Plain and simple. I'm too young to retire and damned if I'll go work for someone else. ;-)
I'm too young to retire also.
I am totally OK with going back to work full-time for someone else - only working M-F, paid vacations, paid sick time, paid health & life insurance, 401K matching - there are perks. :)
I'm also looking at it that it has a definite time limit....

Joey Camb said:
I am totally OK with going back to work full-time for someone else - only working M-F, paid vacations, paid sick time, paid health & life insurance, 401K matching - there are perks. :)
Yes if you are lucky to find something you really want to do. If not, then all the perks in the world can't make up for being miserable in a job.

Joey Camb said:
I am probably ready to let someone else be the innkeeper in Shinnston but cannot stop as long as Himself is alive (everything is as HE needs it to be) and cannot just close because that income pays the expenses of the house. I am old enough to have retired years ago.
I still enjoy the guests, just hate having to go up the stairs - knees scream. I have a case of water on the stairs right now, waiting for me to go up. There will be a laundry basket of sheets and towels ready to go when I go up also. And if I get off my tush which I may actually do today and iron pillowcases, there will be a couple dozen of them in the basket too. One trip, basket up a couple steps and the water up a couple....

Joey Camb said:
Yes if you are lucky to find something you really want to do. If not, then all the perks in the world can't make up for being miserable in a job.
People aren't always fortunate enough to find something that they really want to do. Sometimes the reality is that you have to pay the bills and the mortgage, Empty Nest! :)
I was just putting out there that there could be worse things than working for someone else...

Joey Camb said:
People aren't always fortunate enough to find something that they really want to do. Sometimes the reality is that you have to pay the bills and the mortgage, Empty Nest! :)
I was just putting out there that there could be worse things than working for someone else...
Yep Samster. I realize that. Just that if you had your druthers, it would be something you would love to do.:)

Joey Camb said:
Is there any way you can restructure what you do to remove the most painful parts, allowing you to focus on the parts you love and are good at? I know that when I was able to hand over much of the guest interaction to DH it greatly relieved me. I am a no nonsense, factual kind of person who does not like to casually schmooze so there were no warm fuzzes from me when I greeted. I'd slit my throat if I had to talk to new guests at check in.
Even if you had to hire someone to pick up the slack so you could free up your time to do something you love to do, it might be preferable to just chucking the whole thing or suffering through another summer.
Is there any way you can reduce your season and still make ends meet? That is the point we are at now...finally closing for the winter and not thinking of all the ways we could increase our business but rather focusing on how we can better serve the loyal, good guests we already have.
Ahhh, Maddie, I feel your pain
heart.gif

Joey Camb said:
Is there any way you can restructure what you do to remove the most painful parts, allowing you to focus on the parts you love and are good at? I know that when I was able to hand over much of the guest interaction to DH it greatly relieved me. I am a no nonsense, factual kind of person who does not like to casually schmooze so there were no warm fuzzes from me when I greeted. I'd slit my throat if I had to talk to new guests at check in.
Even if you had to hire someone to pick up the slack so you could free up your time to do something you love to do, it might be preferable to just chucking the whole thing or suffering through another summer.
Is there any way you can reduce your season and still make ends meet? That is the point we are at now...finally closing for the winter and not thinking of all the ways we could increase our business but rather focusing on how we can better serve the loyal, good guests we already have.
heart.gif

We had help this summer and that was great. This is always a bad time of year for me, when the help goes back to school. We talked about hiring someone but by the time we get someone, get then trained and set them loose the season is over. I just need some space.
We have been opting to only do 5 rooms, which seems to be my max.
Problem is I'm not feeling the love.
This morning I got up early and went out to set the tables and get the drinks set up. A guest was up and glommed onto me. It was all I could do to rush thru and get away. I am seriously not a morning person and I cannot take inane conversation at 7am.
Dh said she hadn't shut up since she first came down for coffee. But he doesn't pay attention. He just nods his head and make little noises while he goes about his chores. He has no problem just walking off in the middle of a conversation.
I was almost in tears in the office.
I'm leaving dh on his own for a few days while I get out of town. Maybe that will help.

Joey Camb said:
heart.gif

We had help this summer and that was great. This is always a bad time of year for me, when the help goes back to school. We talked about hiring someone but by the time we get someone, get then trained and set them loose the season is over. I just need some space.
We have been opting to only do 5 rooms, which seems to be my max.
Problem is I'm not feeling the love.
This morning I got up early and went out to set the tables and get the drinks set up. A guest was up and glommed onto me. It was all I could do to rush thru and get away. I am seriously not a morning person and I cannot take inane conversation at 7am.
Dh said she hadn't shut up since she first came down for coffee. But he doesn't pay attention. He just nods his head and make little noises while he goes about his chores. He has no problem just walking off in the middle of a conversation.
I was almost in tears in the office.
I'm leaving dh on his own for a few days while I get out of town. Maybe that will help.
Yes, you need a break, but PLEASE make an appt to talk to a counselor, psychologist, or some other professional of your choice. You need some help and I am not referring to housekeeping.
heart.gif

Back