Free Amenities- only $14/day!!!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"It is not OUR fault if it took you longer to drive here than you thought it would (heard of Googlemaps?) or that the view from your room is not what you thought it would be (but is in fact exactly as stated on our website under the heading "View")
I swear whoever you are you are not me, but for some reason you think like me.
Those are two issues I have dealt with. I had some inquiry this week asking me how long it will take to drive from some island off the midatlantic. I thought, what the! How in the heck would I know without googling it? Or driving it. I replied with a link to google maps (which irritated me cuz if they emailed they could have done that too) and told them I have never been to No man's island NC, sorry.
It is funny to me, I mean aren't YOU THE ONE planning a trip? People ask those strange questions, we are supposed to know the distance and drive time for every place within a days drive. weird. I would never ask you that, ever, I would have a map and/or google it.
On the other hand...just spoke to a caller who said they moved out from CALF. I asked where in CALF? and she said "Oh you wouldnt know where it is" I asked again, "Thousand Oaks" I said, Oh Ventura County, an hour 15 from LA. doh!.
I am in planning overdrive right now. How much can I see on a 4 hour drive between 2 cities? What IS there to see? So, I got a Google map up for one city and got 'directions' to the other, zoomed out to see what it looks like and realized I can go to 4 different really interesting destinations with a simple turn off the highway.
Then went to the sites for those places and got their driving directions. Printed out their brochures to put in my travel folder.
Ordered a book in the mail that I will then use to find more, smaller places in the same general area.
But, like today's calls every hour asking what the roads are like here, I am wondering what exactly can I tell people? I'm inside. I can see 1/10 of a mile of major roadway. I have no idea what it's like 'out there'. (Although, guests who did arrive said it was absolutely awful and there are accidents every mile.)
And the 'is it safe' question gets me. I don't know what kind of driver you are, if your tires are bald, if you talk on the phone and text constantly. How would I know if it's 'safe' or you to be on the roads?

"It is not OUR fault if it took you longer to drive here than you thought it would (heard of Googlemaps?) or that the view from your room is not what you thought it would be (but is in fact exactly as stated on our website under the heading "View")
Those are two issues I have dealt with. I had some inquiry this week asking me how long it will take to drive from some island off the midatlantic. I thought, what the! How in the heck would I know without googling it? Or driving it. I replied with a link to google maps (which irritated me cuz if they emailed they could have done that too) and told them I have never been to No man's island NC, sorry.
It is funny to me, I mean aren't YOU THE ONE planning a trip? People ask those strange questions, we are supposed to know the distance and drive time for every place within a days drive. weird. I would never ask you that, ever, I would have a map and/or google it.
On the other hand...just spoke to a caller who said they moved out from CALF. I asked where in CALF? and she said "Oh you wouldnt know where it is" I asked again, "Thousand Oaks" I said, Oh Ventura County, an hour 15 from LA. doh!.
I have no idea how anyone can do this job and NOT think this way!
The driving time thing particularly irks me for exactly the reasons you said, and also because our Reservation Confirmation contains a list (a LIST for goodness sake) of driving times from common start points.
And yet people still arrive from places on that list and declare in accusatory fashion "Well I didn't know it would take THAT long to get here".
Why? WHY did you not know? There is no reason on this earth for you to not know. I even provided you with that information - all you had to do was READ it and I refuse to accept it was my fault that you didn't.
Like you JB we, personally, always get a map for wherever we're travelling - no amount of GPSing beats a map!
And on the subject of GPSs - so many guests moan about struggling to get here because of the way the GPS sent them, this despite there being perfectly good, simple and obviously very accurate directions on our website.
But why would anyone trust them? I mean it's not like we are obviously the best people to know the quickest way to our own house or anything. Much better to use a machine to tell you a "better" way.
Sorry - apparently I'm off again...
Cudos to all those who are better people than me and do not think this way - I do sometimes wonder if maybe I am totally the wrong person for the "people" business!

The driving time thing particularly irks me for exactly the reasons you said, and also because our Reservation Confirmation contains a list (a LIST for goodness sake) of driving times from common start points.
And yet people still arrive from places on that list and declare in accusatory fashion "Well I didn't know it would take THAT long to get here".
Why? WHY did you not know? There is no reason on this earth for you to not know. I even provided you with that information - all you had to do was READ it and I refuse to accept it was my fault that you didn't.
Like you JB we, personally, always get a map for wherever we're travelling - no amount of GPSing beats a map!
And on the subject of GPSs - so many guests moan about struggling to get here because of the way the GPS sent them, this despite there being perfectly good, simple and obviously very accurate directions on our website.
But why would anyone trust them? I mean it's not like we are obviously the best people to know the quickest way to our own house or anything. Much better to use a machine to tell you a "better" way.
Cudos to all those who are better people than me and do not think this way - I do sometimes wonder if maybe I am totally the wrong person for the "people" business!
SomeGuestsSuck said:
The driving time thing particularly irks me for exactly the reasons you said, and also because our Reservation Confirmation contains a list (a LIST for goodness sake) of driving times from common start points. ME TOO! I have a map with har far certain major cities are and then the miles on another place on our site.
And yet people still arrive from places on that list and declare in accusatory fashion "Well I didn't know it would take THAT long to get here". We have another twist, we have the "Flatlanders" syndrome who are offended if you mention we have mountains. They come up from FLA and then follow Sir GPS up and over some backwoods side road and arrive totally flustered and I ask "What happened, accident on the highway? or the interstate?" YOU HAVE A HIGHWAY? (BTW this has happened dozens of time this past year)
And on the subject of GPSs - so many guests moan about struggling to get here because of the way the GPS sent them, this despite there being perfectly good, simple and obviously very accurate directions on our website. AMEN
Well it is like this, to be an innkeeper you have to be King/Queen of multitasking. We do more things at once than some people do in a week. So it CAN and DOES wear thing, when they show up (like my two couples from Lousiville KY and said "THIS IS NOT WHERE WE THOUGHT IT WAS" and then "We need to be closer" me "It is 15 minutes from here?" Then they left angry, cuz I must have put a fake google map on our website and directions and where this 115+year old house was...moved it in the middle of the night.
pita.gif

SomeGuestsSuck said:
The driving time thing particularly irks me for exactly the reasons you said, and also because our Reservation Confirmation contains a list (a LIST for goodness sake) of driving times from common start points. ME TOO! I have a map with har far certain major cities are and then the miles on another place on our site.
And yet people still arrive from places on that list and declare in accusatory fashion "Well I didn't know it would take THAT long to get here". We have another twist, we have the "Flatlanders" syndrome who are offended if you mention we have mountains. They come up from FLA and then follow Sir GPS up and over some backwoods side road and arrive totally flustered and I ask "What happened, accident on the highway? or the interstate?" YOU HAVE A HIGHWAY? (BTW this has happened dozens of time this past year)
And on the subject of GPSs - so many guests moan about struggling to get here because of the way the GPS sent them, this despite there being perfectly good, simple and obviously very accurate directions on our website. AMEN
Well it is like this, to be an innkeeper you have to be King/Queen of multitasking. We do more things at once than some people do in a week. So it CAN and DOES wear thing, when they show up (like my two couples from Lousiville KY and said "THIS IS NOT WHERE WE THOUGHT IT WAS" and then "We need to be closer" me "It is 15 minutes from here?" Then they left angry, cuz I must have put a fake google map on our website and directions and where this 115+year old house was...moved it in the middle of the night.
pita.gif
Joey Bloggs said:
"THIS IS NOT WHERE WE THOUGHT IT WAS"
Again - ME TOO!!!
We are where we are - if you didn't realise where we are then you didn't do your research properly. Not even enough research to look at the map on our website - that shouldn't be too much to ask should it?
Likewise the marks for location on Trip Advisor are a bit annoying, because a property's location just is what it is. If you don't want to be where it is, then stay somewhere that is where you want to be.
We had someone mark us down for location saying something like "we always like to be within walking distance to restaurants".
Well then stay somewhere that's walking distance to bloody restaurants then!!!!
It's like someone marking down a B&B in Anchorage because they prefer to be in Maui.
Wow - we've really taken this off topic from from the free amenities you have to pay for. Apologies Alibi Ike!

I am in planning overdrive right now. How much can I see on a 4 hour drive between 2 cities? What IS there to see? So, I got a Google map up for one city and got 'directions' to the other, zoomed out to see what it looks like and realized I can go to 4 different really interesting destinations with a simple turn off the highway.
Then went to the sites for those places and got their driving directions. Printed out their brochures to put in my travel folder.
Ordered a book in the mail that I will then use to find more, smaller places in the same general area.
But, like today's calls every hour asking what the roads are like here, I am wondering what exactly can I tell people? I'm inside. I can see 1/10 of a mile of major roadway. I have no idea what it's like 'out there'. (Although, guests who did arrive said it was absolutely awful and there are accidents every mile.)
And the 'is it safe' question gets me. I don't know what kind of driver you are, if your tires are bald, if you talk on the phone and text constantly. How would I know if it's 'safe' or you to be on the roads?
You must get out your crystal ball and predict the future.....

Samster said:
They didn't like my version of the future so they canceled. Que sera, sera.

Samster said:
They didn't like my version of the future so they canceled. Que sera, sera.
I predict that they would not have been good for YOUR future!
pita.gif

SomeGuestsSuck said:
pita.gif
Joey Bloggs said:
"THIS IS NOT WHERE WE THOUGHT IT WAS"
Again - ME TOO!!!
We are where we are - if you didn't realise where we are then you didn't do your research properly. Not even enough research to look at the map on our website - that shouldn't be too much to ask should it?
Likewise the marks for location on Trip Advisor are a bit annoying, because a property's location just is what it is. If you don't want to be where it is, then stay somewhere that is where you want to be.
We had someone mark us down for location saying something like "we always like to be within walking distance to restaurants".
Well then stay somewhere that's walking distance to bloody restaurants then!!!!
It's like someone marking down a B&B in Anchorage because they prefer to be in Maui.
Wow - we've really taken this off topic from from the free amenities you have to pay for. Apologies Alibi Ike!
I have had people Google a city and I came up on the first page because I mention that city on my blog or somewhere on my site. They each completed the reservation asnd thankfully asked #1 how far are you from the airport? Which airport? u8mmm, call this B & B because they are in that city, I am about 140 miles away. #2 - how far are you from the hospital? ummm, which hospital as we have several nearby? ummm, call this B & B as we are about 75 miles from that city.

I had someone state "they were further to Big City" on an attempted charge back. I do state an approx distance to the main area of the big city on my site. I DO know how long it takes, I drove it for over 20 years! Duh But to respond to that charge, I sent a copy of my website page where it is noted as approx. AND a google map from my B&B - TO MIDDLE of big city. I have my money!
wink_smile.gif

I have no idea where in the Big City they were going or how they got there! They could have taken a couple of scenic routes who knows.

SomeGuestsSuck said:
pita.gif
In regards to GPS instructions. We are located on a one-way street going south. Okay, it's one thing to get there, realize it's a one-way street and that you can't enter. But really, is it all that difficult for them to figure out to drive out to the next one-way street going north, drive up and come down? Yes, it is... they have to call me so that I give them that instruction.
It's like they have given up their entire thought processes to the GPS. I sometimes wonder if they can count to 21 with their pants still on.

SomeGuestsSuck said:
pita.gif
In regards to GPS instructions. We are located on a one-way street going south. Okay, it's one thing to get there, realize it's a one-way street and that you can't enter. But really, is it all that difficult for them to figure out to drive out to the next one-way street going north, drive up and come down? Yes, it is... they have to call me so that I give them that instruction.
It's like they have given up their entire thought processes to the GPS. I sometimes wonder if they can count to 21 with their pants still on.
GBManor said:
Ha, ha, good one.

its the ones that ask for the room with the best view here. At the back you get a view of the car park not super attractive but quieter. On the front you have a lovely view of the conference centre which is one of the ugliest views in the world! On the front you can see people totter up and down which is quite fun but neither is a sea view or majestic mountain ranges ! oh well.

its the ones that ask for the room with the best view here. At the back you get a view of the car park not super attractive but quieter. On the front you have a lovely view of the conference centre which is one of the ugliest views in the world! On the front you can see people totter up and down which is quite fun but neither is a sea view or majestic mountain ranges ! oh well..
2 completely different kinds of guests here- one that wants an ocean view (no can do) and one that doesn't even know there is a seacoast in town.

lol.....Who would have thought Innkeepers being grumpy ?
Living life is being in the people business :)

SomeGuestsSuck said:
pita.gif
I sometimes wonder if they can count to 21 with their pants still on.
THAT brought a belly laugh!

Back