Free Amenities- only $14/day!!!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alibi Ike

Reaction score
Please, we need to have another Forum Heading for 'Sublime & Ridiculous'. My 'free' amenities are costing me $14/day. Maybe I should bring a dictionary with me and give it to the CEO.
This was in my confirmation:
A daily resort fee of $14.00(includes applicable tax) for all reservations will be added upon check-in. The resort fee includes the following: Free wired high-speed Internet service in the guest room; free access to the fitness center; free incoming faxes; daily newspaper and free domestic and long distance phone calls.
So, going thru all of the 'extras' after making reservations:
  • $14/day resort fee
  • $22/day car insurance
  • $25/day meal plan- breakfast
And none of this yet includes actually leaving the hotel room to DO anything. BTW, if it's 'wired' internet service that means I need some sort of cable with me, right? And possibly some 'other' adapter?

Free Fee - $14 a day.... now theres a tricky way to put it.
wink_smile.gif
Makes you really love the 'Better Way to Stay"

Alibi Ike said:
BTW, if it's 'wired' internet service that means I need some sort of cable with me, right? And possibly some 'other' adapter?
The few places I've been to with that setup - the cable/adaptor is provided in your room. But you may want to check on that.

I agree with Muirford...check to see if they provide the ethernet cable in the room just to be sure. I always bring a short one with me in my laptop bag just in case if there's only wired Internet access. (Some of the provided cables have been shoddy.)
It could be worse - I've seen up to $25/day for Internet alone. Do you get free parking? The charge for that when we stayed at a downtown hotel in Northern CA last fall was very high. :-(

I agree with Muirford...check to see if they provide the ethernet cable in the room just to be sure. I always bring a short one with me in my laptop bag just in case if there's only wired Internet access. (Some of the provided cables have been shoddy.)
It could be worse - I've seen up to $25/day for Internet alone. Do you get free parking? The charge for that when we stayed at a downtown hotel in Northern CA last fall was very high. :-(.
Here's the weirdness...I tried to make the rez last night and the online rez system kept hanging up on the last screen. All my info filled in and it wouldn't go thru. So I called. Had to wait in queue. The room I wanted was not available there but it was online. Gave up. Tried another computer and got a pop up that said the rez system was undergoing maintenance. Great. Now I don't know how many reservations I have!
Did not see anything about parking but my parents said there's no charge at that hotel. (You think I'M cheap, you ought to travel with them!)
I did ask at the other hotel and everything is included in the price of the room. Breakfast, parking, WiFi, wine & cheese in the evening. Thank goodness for that. The Vegas hotel is $25/day but I can probably put some snacks away for later on.

It could be worse - I've seen up to $25/day for Internet alone. Do you get free parking? The charge for that when we stayed at a downtown hotel in Northern CA last fall was very high. :-(.
Here's the weirdness...I tried to make the rez last night and the online rez system kept hanging up on the last screen. All my info filled in and it wouldn't go thru. So I called. Had to wait in queue. The room I wanted was not available there but it was online. Gave up. Tried another computer and got a pop up that said the rez system was undergoing maintenance. Great. Now I don't know how many reservations I have!
Did not see anything about parking but my parents said there's no charge at that hotel. (You think I'M cheap, you ought to travel with them!)
I did ask at the other hotel and everything is included in the price of the room. Breakfast, parking, WiFi, wine & cheese in the evening. Thank goodness for that. The Vegas hotel is $25/day but I can probably put some snacks away for later on.
Can you even imagine what any of OUR guests would say if we tried to bring in these charges?!!!!
Hotels charging for internet access drives me nuts - also have never understood the logic of it being free at Travelodge/Quality Inn/Holiday Inn etc type places, but if you stay somewhere swanky and expensive you have to cough up for it.
Surely the more you pay for loveliness, the more amenities should be included.
Having said that, if we do stay somewhere which charges we just whine quietly to ourselves and pony up - while inwardly being jealous of all those we know who get it taken off their bill for whining loudly and publicly at check-out...
We'd just rather pay than go through the embarrassment of moaning - and also it would be a tad hypocritical to moan ourselves when we do enough moaning about our moaners!

Can you even imagine what any of OUR guests would say if we tried to bring in these charges?!!!!
Hotels charging for internet access drives me nuts - also have never understood the logic of it being free at Travelodge/Quality Inn/Holiday Inn etc type places, but if you stay somewhere swanky and expensive you have to cough up for it.
Having said that, if we do stay somewhere which charges we just whine quietly to ourselves and pony up - while inwardly being jealous of all those we know who get it taken off their bill for whining loudly and publicly at check-out...
We'd just rather pay than go through the embarrassment of moaning - and also it would be a tad hypocritical to moan ourselves when we do enough moaning about our moaners!
Re "moaning" I disagree. It is not moaning to dispute an unfair charge. While staying at a Mar ri *** a couple years ago, my City Manager and I discovered a chips bag behind the nightstand. She left housekeeping a note that it ws there and we went to our meetings. Return that afternoon and it was still there. She is not someone who will say something and was a bit twicked with me because I went to the Manager on Duty and told him about the chips bag. I was not asking for anything - just pointing out it was STILL there after leaving a note. he said he would comp the internet charge (I did remark about how a B & B is expected to have free wifi but a big hotel gets away with charging for it) and gave us a free dinner (which I was not expecting nor asking for - it was a good dinner though) and that night - the bag is still there. At check-out, Miss Do-not-complain looks over the bill and hits the roof - bag still behind the nightstand, internet charges are still on the bill. She ended up with the Internet AND parking fees removed. She would have said nothing except he had told us the Internet charge would be removed - AND after writing a note AND telling a MANAGER it STILL was not remedied.
It is not moaning to know what we are expected to give for free and inform the big boys it is outrageous for them to charge for it.

Re "moaning" I disagree. It is not moaning to dispute an unfair charge. While staying at a Mar ri *** a couple years ago, my City Manager and I discovered a chips bag behind the nightstand. She left housekeeping a note that it ws there and we went to our meetings. Return that afternoon and it was still there. She is not someone who will say something and was a bit twicked with me because I went to the Manager on Duty and told him about the chips bag. I was not asking for anything - just pointing out it was STILL there after leaving a note. he said he would comp the internet charge (I did remark about how a B & B is expected to have free wifi but a big hotel gets away with charging for it) and gave us a free dinner (which I was not expecting nor asking for - it was a good dinner though) and that night - the bag is still there. At check-out, Miss Do-not-complain looks over the bill and hits the roof - bag still behind the nightstand, internet charges are still on the bill. She ended up with the Internet AND parking fees removed. She would have said nothing except he had told us the Internet charge would be removed - AND after writing a note AND telling a MANAGER it STILL was not remedied.
It is not moaning to know what we are expected to give for free and inform the big boys it is outrageous for them to charge for it.
You make a separate point.
I was saying that if I've chosen to stay at a hotel which charges for Internet access, then I have booked knowing that, and I think it would be unreasonable of me to complain to the front desk about that charge and try to get it removed - no matter how much I object to the principle. In making the reservation that is the deal I have knowingly signed up to.
If there are other problems (bad housekeeping etc) and management comp your Internet as part of compensation for those things then that is a different thing.
Anyway, back on topic - hotels charging for internet always leave me feeling a bit ripped off but am staying at one next week because LOVE the hotel, so choosing to just suck it up.
But a hotel saying your amenities are free once you've paid for them is a whole new level of ludicrousness!

Expedia and some of the other sites are now forcing them to become more transparent with these fees. Recently they sent out an email asking everyone to specify these fees and what they include and don't. It's simply a way to hide part of the prices. It originally started with Priceline, where the "resort" fee could hide when the bids were very low. It's become endemic in Las Vegas, where the resort fee can sometimes be bigger than the nightly rate.

Expedia and some of the other sites are now forcing them to become more transparent with these fees. Recently they sent out an email asking everyone to specify these fees and what they include and don't. It's simply a way to hide part of the prices. It originally started with Priceline, where the "resort" fee could hide when the bids were very low. It's become endemic in Las Vegas, where the resort fee can sometimes be bigger than the nightly rate..
Welcome
welcome.gif
GBManor. Glad you are here!

Let them continue to charge!!! I am just happy that our industry knows how to treat our guests like real guests... No hidden fees, no 'Free' fees or resort fees. This is why a B&B IS the Better way to stay!

Expedia and some of the other sites are now forcing them to become more transparent with these fees. Recently they sent out an email asking everyone to specify these fees and what they include and don't. It's simply a way to hide part of the prices. It originally started with Priceline, where the "resort" fee could hide when the bids were very low. It's become endemic in Las Vegas, where the resort fee can sometimes be bigger than the nightly rate..
Welcome
welcome.gif
copperhead said:
Welcome
welcome.gif
I've been reading for a while, but I figured after someone solicited me for their "online magazine" advertising that maybe I should open up my big mouth for a change. :) from Montreal.
cheers.gif

I was saying that if I've chosen to stay at a hotel which charges for Internet access, then I have booked knowing that, and I think it would be unreasonable of me to complain to the front desk about that charge and try to get it removed - no matter how much I object to the principle. In making the reservation that is the deal I have knowingly signed up to.
If there are other problems (bad housekeeping etc) and management comp your Internet as part of compensation for those things then that is a different thing.
Anyway, back on topic - hotels charging for internet always leave me feeling a bit ripped off but am staying at one next week because LOVE the hotel, so choosing to just suck it up.
But a hotel saying your amenities are free once you've paid for them is a whole new level of ludicrousness!
SomeGuestsSuck said:
If you could please just clone yourself 4000 times and send the clones this way to stay with us each night the following year, I'd be one of those gushingly ecstatic innkeepers!
WHY is this completely rational, self-responsible, and pleasant personality type so incredibly rare in travelers????
teeth_smile.gif

SomeGuestsSuck said:
If you could please just clone yourself 4000 times and send the clones this way to stay with us each night the following year, I'd be one of those gushingly ecstatic innkeepers!
WHY is this completely rational, self-responsible, and pleasant personality type so incredibly rare in travelers????
teeth_smile.gif

I'm a travel grump. I like to be where I'm going but I don't like getting there. And it's not really even the traveling that gets me it's all the little ways that there are to be annoyed while traveling. My flight is canceled and I can't get another one until next week. There's a high school band competition staying at the hotel I booked. None of the places I wanted to see are open because it's a state holiday I had no idea existed.
Maybe I'm just a grump. Period.
wink_smile.gif

SomeGuestsSuck said:
teeth_smile.gif

wink_smile.gif

I refuse to turn into one of the people I complain about!
"Self responsibility" is an issue we talk about ALL the time.
We are forever asking each other "Why will no one take responsibility for their own holiday any more?"
It is not OUR fault if it took you longer to drive here than you thought it would (heard of Googlemaps?) or that the view from your room is not what you thought it would be (but is in fact exactly as stated on our website under the heading "View") etc etc.
Sorry...I'm darting off on a ranty tangent...

I had a similar problem trying to book a hotel recently where I have a "club" membership to earn free stays. I kept getting hung up on the rez screen online. So, I had to call and make the rez with the front desk of the hotel. I sent an email feedback to the hotel group noting the problem with online booking. They responded with "we know there's a problem, we're working on it".
Fast forward to arrival at said hotel. Went to room that I booked while talking to a human on the phone. Not exactly the room I wanted and there was something on the bottom of the tub. hmmm.... Called front desk to change rooms. Schlep all the bags back to front desk where the front desk clerk was not happy with us. Schlep everything to second room. One key doesn't work. Dh has to go back to front desk to get a new key card. Sigh....
We'll try it again because we can take our son & fiancee out to eat while we're there with what we save on the hotel vs. the local B&Bs and we are on the go so much that it's a place to stay for the night and there are no extra fees.
It's a really very nice hotel for the money but we didn't have the same warm fuzzies with the staff that we did the first time. As a traveler you have to know what you're getting. There you go....

Glad to see your comments!
welcome.gif

"It is not OUR fault if it took you longer to drive here than you thought it would (heard of Googlemaps?) or that the view from your room is not what you thought it would be (but is in fact exactly as stated on our website under the heading "View")
I swear whoever you are you are not me, but for some reason you think like me.
Those are two issues I have dealt with. I had some inquiry this week asking me how long it will take to drive from some island off the midatlantic. I thought, what the! How in the heck would I know without googling it? Or driving it. I replied with a link to google maps (which irritated me cuz if they emailed they could have done that too) and told them I have never been to No man's island NC, sorry.
It is funny to me, I mean aren't YOU THE ONE planning a trip? People ask those strange questions, we are supposed to know the distance and drive time for every place within a days drive. weird. I would never ask you that, ever, I would have a map and/or google it.
On the other hand...just spoke to a caller who said they moved out from CALF. I asked where in CALF? and she said "Oh you wouldnt know where it is" I asked again, "Thousand Oaks" I said, Oh Ventura County, an hour 15 from LA. doh!

Back