Free rooms - discuss.

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't do free nights.

We look at it this way, when a travel writer/blogger asks for a night... The law requires them to disclose that they are getting the night for free, as it is seen as a payment. So, if they disclose, the review is tainted. If they don't disclose, they are dishonest and the review is tainted. Either way, it's tainted.

Genuine reviews from books, newspapers, and bloggers that we have received have either been from people who paid to stay or have told us and shown us from what organization they are and asked to come to visit. We have had Oyster/TA and Purple Roofs actually come to photograph. We have had Lonely Planets and others visit as well. (Lonely Planet wanted to stay, but we didn't have the room, so we set them up to stay with the neighbouring B&B... they never announced ahead of time who they were, but asked for a tour and presented documents to back up who they were.)

We have been in articles, guide books, etc. All with no free stays.

Most of the requests we got for free stays were usually some sort of scam. A poet who wanted a free stay as a way to sponsor the artist. The weekend blogger who wanted a stay, but they hardly have any traffic at all anyway.... just nope.

I don't do free nights.

We look at it this way, when a travel writer/blogger asks for a night... The law requires them to disclose that they are getting the night for free, as it is seen as a payment. So, if they disclose, the review is tainted. If they don't disclose, they are dishonest and the review is tainted. Either way, it's tainted.

Genuine reviews from books, newspapers, and bloggers that we have received have either been from people who paid to stay or have told us and shown us from what organization they are and asked to come to visit. We have had Oyster/TA and Purple Roofs actually come to photograph. We have had Lonely Planets and others visit as well. (Lonely Planet wanted to stay, but we didn't have the room, so we set them up to stay with the neighbouring B&B... they never announced ahead of time who they were, but asked for a tour and presented documents to back up who they were.)

We have been in articles, guide books, etc. All with no free stays.

Most of the requests we got for free stays were usually some sort of scam. A poet who wanted a free stay as a way to sponsor the artist. The weekend blogger who wanted a stay, but they hardly have any traffic at all anyway.... just nope.
It’s true that we got more traffic from the bloggers who never even said who they were and the guide books that put us in for free with just a walk thru to have a look. Lonely Planet was a biggie. Moon was another one. We were also in a Maine travel book that gave us a lot of business.

We have gotten random requests to donate to various silent auctions benefitting "fill-in-the-blank" and have done a few. Mostly we stick with one a year now, a non-profit that is of special interest to a close family member, so they will benefit from the auction donation.
The people you get (who win the auction) though can be a crap-shoot. "Entitled" or "clueless" describes most of them!!!

We've run other specials at different times of the year and some years they are sold out, others nobody bites...🤷‍♀️

I will do B & Bs For Vets as long as I am alive and a B & B. It is my only freebie - 2 rooms for a 3-night stay, so both couples have a private bathroom.

We have gotten random requests to donate to various silent auctions benefitting "fill-in-the-blank" and have done a few. Mostly we stick with one a year now, a non-profit that is of special interest to a close family member, so they will benefit from the auction donation.
The people you get (who win the auction) though can be a crap-shoot. "Entitled" or "clueless" describes most of them!!!

Thanks. But if you can provide a tax receipt, I'll consider a donation, if that's a charity that I think is worthy. But no donation certificates, ever. The message is muddled. The advertising is muddled. The people don't really want to be here. I don't really want them either. I want guests who want to be here, not because they want to donate money to a charity, but because they want to be here.

The people don't really want to be here. I don't really want them either. I want guests who want to be here, not because they want to donate money to a charity, but because they want to be here.
Luckily, I find that a lot who don't really want the stay never use the gift certificate. They just consider it a donation to their charity of choice. So everybody's happy. Usually.

Back