Free Stuff is Still Stuff

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here I thought you were posting about the guys who broke into the store that gives away stuff and stole free stuff.

Very true about the "free" stuff.
Here I'm trying to get rid of stuff and I got a plaque from a group last night. This is the kind of stuff that I could care less about. I didn't work so hard for 4 years for a plaque....I did it because I wanted to. Oh, well....it's the thought that counts. :)

Here I'm trying to get rid of stuff and I got a plaque from a group last night. This is the kind of stuff that I could care less about. I didn't work so hard for 4 years for a plaque....I did it because I wanted to. Oh, well....it's the thought that counts. :).
I am so glad to see someone else voice how I feel about plaques. It is great if it is from something big - I have received several State recognitions that I appreciate - but would rather not get a plaque for being Chair of something or past-prez of a local group. I have one that is still in the box waiting for me to find a place to stash it (not hang) since I was given it over a year ago. If everyone gets a plaque, it takes the meaning out of it IMNVHO. And awards received because one nominated oneself are totally meaningless.

Totally agree and have had to force myself lately to walk out of conferences without a bagful of stuff. Business cards I will take if the service seems useful to me. I can use their website for more info. I have to force myself to leave the pens, pads of paper, magnets and all of that behind. Hate getting the calendars in the mail. There are so many of them.
We looked at 'buy one, get one' pens the other day. Guess what, they're twice the regular price. Where's the deal in that? Now, if I need two of something- like pillows, then happy day!

Totally agree and have had to force myself lately to walk out of conferences without a bagful of stuff. Business cards I will take if the service seems useful to me. I can use their website for more info. I have to force myself to leave the pens, pads of paper, magnets and all of that behind. Hate getting the calendars in the mail. There are so many of them.
We looked at 'buy one, get one' pens the other day. Guess what, they're twice the regular price. Where's the deal in that? Now, if I need two of something- like pillows, then happy day!.
A lady at my church collects pens so do take them and give them to her - unless they have blue ink. Official documents must be signed in blue ink so those I hoard (City Clerk signs official documents).

Here I'm trying to get rid of stuff and I got a plaque from a group last night. This is the kind of stuff that I could care less about. I didn't work so hard for 4 years for a plaque....I did it because I wanted to. Oh, well....it's the thought that counts. :).
I am so glad to see someone else voice how I feel about plaques. It is great if it is from something big - I have received several State recognitions that I appreciate - but would rather not get a plaque for being Chair of something or past-prez of a local group. I have one that is still in the box waiting for me to find a place to stash it (not hang) since I was given it over a year ago. If everyone gets a plaque, it takes the meaning out of it IMNVHO. And awards received because one nominated oneself are totally meaningless.
I've gotten so many of those things over the years, that it's ridiculous. (Not bragging or anything just saying that I don't see the sense in it.) But I think that there are plenty of people that treasure the recognition and devote a special place to them. I'd rather have a gift certificate for the same amount of money for something. haha!
I just want to de-clutter everything.........

We looked at 'buy one, get one' pens the other day. Guess what, they're twice the regular price. Where's the deal in that? Now, if I need two of something- like pillows, then happy day!.
I still have a desk drawer of pens and stuff from nursing conferences! ACK! I am really of a mindset now to simplify my life and get rid of all this extraneous "stuff".....

I've gotten so many of those things over the years, that it's ridiculous. (Not bragging or anything just saying that I don't see the sense in it.) But I think that there are plenty of people that treasure the recognition and devote a special place to them. I'd rather have a gift certificate for the same amount of money for something. haha!
Print off a "certificate" from the computer and use the saved money for the benefit of whatever the group esists for is my thoughts on it. Recognition is nice, but I hate to see money wasted.
Edited to add: If a token is to be given, make it something useable - a platter, tray, pitcher... Something the recipient can actually use!

Print off a "certificate" from the computer and use the saved money for the benefit of whatever the group esists for is my thoughts on it. Recognition is nice, but I hate to see money wasted.
Edited to add: If a token is to be given, make it something useable - a platter, tray, pitcher... Something the recipient can actually use!
Naturally, I'd also prefer for the money to stay in the organization's coffers that they spend on these things, but if they feel compelled to give a "gift" of some kind, I'd rather it be a gift that I could really use vs a plaque. But, like I say...it's the thought that counts!!!

What a great article and de-cluttering is really hard. When we got this job at this B & B we kind of had to look at what we would bring with us and what we didn't have room nor needed to bring and it brought the realization that we didn't "need" all the stuff that we thought we needed to bring after we could not fit everything and the cat into the car we had to prioritize what was important enough to bring with us.
My point is now we can't really accumulate more "stuff" cause eventually we will either get another assignment or move on and we will have to take our "stuff" with us. I agree with everyone that buying something and getting something free is not something you may need two of.
Great article.

I take pens cos we would go bankrupt with all the pens that get taken. I also always make sure I get a free pen with I every vistaprint order cos then when they go it is free advertising whereever it goes.

I take pens cos we would go bankrupt with all the pens that get taken. I also always make sure I get a free pen with I every vistaprint order cos then when they go it is free advertising whereever it goes..
I take pens cos we would go bankrupt with all the pens that get taken. I also always make sure I get a free pen with I every vistaprint order cos then when they go it is free advertising whereever it goes.
Do you order logo'd pens? They are great to take and leave about wherever you go. Not saying I get business from them, but cheap enough to leave for PEOPLE's MINDS to remember you and maybe refer.
I ordered a box of 1000 or something, they were cheaper than mints on the pillows.

I take pens cos we would go bankrupt with all the pens that get taken. I also always make sure I get a free pen with I every vistaprint order cos then when they go it is free advertising whereever it goes..
Do you order logo'd pens? They are great to take and leave about wherever you go. Not saying I get business from them, but cheap enough to leave for PEOPLE's MINDS to remember you and maybe refer.
I ordered a box of 1000 or something, they were cheaper than mints on the pillows.
yup I deliberately am like here use my pen LOL

Back