Freezer

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgirouard

Reaction score
Question: How many of you have a deep freeze? A unit separate from the refrigerator? If you have one, do you mind if I ask if it's upright or chest, and how many cubic feet? Oh - and if you dn't mind, how many rooms in your inn? (Just trying to compare apples to apples.
We were thinking we'd want a HUGE, upright freezer, but now I'm thinking a small chest freezer 5 cu ft or less might be more appropriate - just someplace I can store ingredients frozen, to bake/cook into fresh. DH has his doubts.FWIW, our inn only has four rooms. Our family lives there, so I need room for our food as well, but we do have a decent sized top of the fridge freezer.
Thanks for your input.

I had a 20 cu. inch freezer upright. I loved it. We had 3 rooms. It was filled with all sorts of goodies. It was wonderful to have things frozen ahead of time for guests. Saved alot of time. WHen we retired...I bartered it away...worst mistake of my life. All we have now is the bottom freezer of our fridge and I hate it. No room for anything!!! I will never get another bottom freezer again.

I don't know the cu ft but my freezer is an upright and the size of really decent fridge. We use it strictly for things like butter, sausages, blueberries. We don't do a lot of 'pre' cooking and Gomez shops everyday for the next day's ingredients. We have our own fridge for us and a separate one for the inn, so we don't have to try to fit everything in. 7 rooms.

Now that you mention it, the PO's had a second fridge in their kitchen here. Totally forgot about that as we moved it out for guests to use instead of letting guests use the big inn fridge as they did.

I have 3 rooms. I do not have enough space for a freezer - and I would love to have one. I had a BIG problem looming - a son-in-law was bringing me a deer (processed but a deer) and I did not have freezer space. I was already losing out when things were on sale because no freezer. A friend told me to rent a freezer locker. VOILA!!! It has been wonderful! I am in the city where the locker is every week at least once a week anyway. It costs me $50 a year. The only time I can get fresh cranberries is NOW so I stock up at the veggie mart and go directly to the freezer locker with them. It is an ice house so the temps are COLD, it is convenient, and costs less than buying the freezer and paying the electric bill. I do not know the actual size of my locker - it is like a P O box, probably 8 to 10 inches high and I do not know how wide but I have yet to fill it up.

We have a big upright freezer and a second fridge in the garage. The fridge out there is unplugged now, but full of stuff in the summer busy season.

I have an upright freezer in the garage and have never turned it on! We had it before we opened as a B&B. I guess it's around 18 cu ft. I also have a second fridge that's around 20 cu ft and don't use it. I thought I'd use both of them all the time but haven't had a need for them and I do pre-cook some things (but probably not enough). I have a huge 3 door fridge that seems to work for us plus the B&B but there are just the 2 of us now. If I had kids (especially teenagers), I'd have to use that spare fridge and freezer. lol! Oops...forgot to say that we have 5 rooms and can have up to 15 guests with our double suites.

I have a large upright freezer in the basement (don't know the cf is but it is larger than a normal fridge).
I have 6 rooms and a suggestion. You may be temped (as I was ) to save the $150 that the frost free unit costs. Just don't. You'll thank me when you don't have to defrost the siberian tundra.

I have a large upright freezer in the basement (don't know the cf is but it is larger than a normal fridge).
I have 6 rooms and a suggestion. You may be temped (as I was ) to save the $150 that the frost free unit costs. Just don't. You'll thank me when you don't have to defrost the siberian tundra..
The Farmers Daughter said:
I have 6 rooms and a suggestion. You may be temped (as I was ) to save the $150 that the frost free unit costs. Just don't. You'll thank me when you don't have to defrost the siberian tundra.
Ha! How true! We do this in the winter when we can put all of the food outside for a few hours. We have a dirt floor in the basement so just open the door to the freezer & turn off the power. But, yes, it is a mess.

I have 6 rooms and a suggestion. You may be temped (as I was ) to save the $150 that the frost free unit costs. Just don't. You'll thank me when you don't have to defrost the siberian tundra..
OH I agree. I had a smaller freezer before the B & B. and I had to defrost it!!! HORROR!!! I rarely did and that made it even worse:-( THe B & B one was frost free..A DREAM!!!!

I also have a 4 room inn. I bought an upright freezer (frost-free) about the size of a refrigerator when I ran out of room to store fresh fruits and veggies from my cousin's garden. She keeps bringing produce, and it had to go somewhere, so I have broccoli, peppers, zucchini etc. all winter long. It makes sense to have the freezer if you have access to some foods only seasonally that can be stored frozen. On days when I have lots of prep for breakfast it's really nice to have muffins or quick breads frozen that were baked when I had more time. I can also buy bread when its on sale that I use for french toast.

Don't do a chest freezer, how could that be helpful? You need an upright with shelves. Average size, nothing huge not to small. If you have frostie type you will get freezer burn on your stuff even put right in there unless you keep on top of it, it is not something you can easily do when it is stocked and business is busy.
I DID have a second fridge and found the second freezer to be ten times more useful - in my inn and my situation. 6 rooms - not super high occup, enough to keep me off the street though.
wink_smile.gif

Back