Freezing cake

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alibi Ike

Reaction score
I need ideas for freezing cake, cupcakes, muffins, cake-like cookies. Whenever I do this, the cakes always come out 'tacky' on the surface. Should I remove them immediately from the freezer bags and let them thaw in the air? If I don't frost them, they're kind of dampish on the top. Should I wrap them individually?

Short answer: practically any baked good freezes well if 1) you freeze between 6 and 18 hours after baking and 2) it will be rewarmed for service.
#1 is to allow goods to fully cool so they won't be soggy and to preserve them before they have begun to stale. #2 is to allow starch to rehydrate without being gooey as heat lets starch readsorb water excluded as ice crystals when it froze: toast it or cover with foil and warm in an oven to 150o - 170o. Microwaving thaws but does not allow starch to regain proper consistency.
Wrapping should be tight, so freeze on a tray first, then wrap individually. Loose wrapping allows water loss (freezer burn).

So, if I thawed and then popped them in the oven for a bit, I would lose the stickiness?

I freeze all sorts of cakes, cookies etc. I never have a problem with them. Are you wrapping properly? Are they iced already? I made loads of my special occasion heart shaped cakes, frosted, and decorated them. Then when guests came, popped the frozen cake on to the cake platter, covered it with the dome and put in their room. Was always getting raves

I freeze all sorts of cakes, cookies etc. I never have a problem with them. Are you wrapping properly? Are they iced already? I made loads of my special occasion heart shaped cakes, frosted, and decorated them. Then when guests came, popped the frozen cake on to the cake platter, covered it with the dome and put in their room. Was always getting raves.
So you frosted them first? I've only done this a couple of times and everything comes out 'tacky' and 'damp'. I don't frost first because the frosting sticks to the wrapping.

I freeze all sorts of cakes, cookies etc. I never have a problem with them. Are you wrapping properly? Are they iced already? I made loads of my special occasion heart shaped cakes, frosted, and decorated them. Then when guests came, popped the frozen cake on to the cake platter, covered it with the dome and put in their room. Was always getting raves.
So you frosted them first? I've only done this a couple of times and everything comes out 'tacky' and 'damp'. I don't frost first because the frosting sticks to the wrapping.
I frosted and decorated the cakes. I put them in the freezer first with no wrapping so that the icing freezes first. Maybe an hour or so. Then I wrapped each cake for freezer storage. I took them out, unwrapped and put frozen on the cake platter several hours in advance of guest checking in. I found my cakes to be very moist and everyone complimented me on them.

Back