Freezing green beans

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JunieBJones (JBJ)

Reaction score
HELP! I am coming into a bushel of green beans, any ideas how to freeze? Is it easy as putting in a freezer bag and that's it? ANy hints?n

I've just snapped and frozen. I know that my Mom would sometimes flash boil or whatever & then freeze. There are better folks here than me to answer this!!
embaressed_smile.gif

Clean, chop (if you want them chopped), blanch, drain, freeze (leave a little headspace in your container). Blanch = dip quickly in already boiling water so they are barely cooked, but still crunchy.
=)
Kk.

Thanks, that is what I thought, blanch and freeze. I might get the whole bushel instead of half then. I love them beans!
Appreciate it.

Thanks, that is what I thought, blanch and freeze. I might get the whole bushel instead of half then. I love them beans!
Appreciate it..
Catlady will probably come on eventually and tell you exactly how many minutes to blanch.
We had a HUGE garden when I was growing up (about an acre?)... I got a lot of practice freezing veggies (a long time ago, now!).
=)
Kk.

Appreciate it..
Catlady will probably come on eventually and tell you exactly how many minutes to blanch.
We had a HUGE garden when I was growing up (about an acre?)... I got a lot of practice freezing veggies (a long time ago, now!).
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
Tomorrow is the last day before school starts. We will be getting the veg tomorrow morning. I offered to come and help pick (the kids would love that) but she has a neighbor who does it all quite efficiently. You call and order and he heads over and picks them all.

Beans (green and yellow podded)Snip tips and sort by size. Cut or break into suitable pieces or freeze small beans whole.
Blanch 3 minutes. Cool promptly and drain. Pack in freezer bags.
Go here for complete details

I was just saying to the man yesterday as my parents are back in the big city for the summer. I said, ya know I have lived in cities all my life, but "a country girl can survive..." I sure prefer small town life.
I really show my green-horn roots when I don't have a clue how to freeze beans. Well it is true, born and bred in the city, knew nothin' else (well have been outdoorsy my whole life to escape those city streets) but not living and cooking and freezing in rural America!
Thanks for the hints everyone.
I think that is why I appreciate the country folks around here. When there is a church picnic - you know Southern Baptists aka "church of the covered dish" there are dozens and dozens of diff varieties of green bean dishes. To me, I think that is grand! I like it!
"Let them eat beans!" I declare.
Favorite Author grew up Presbyterian and hoped to convert over to the "church of the covered dish" one day, as they always had 10 varieties of home cranked ice cream at the end of their sunday picnics.

Clean, chop (if you want them chopped), blanch, drain, freeze (leave a little headspace in your container). Blanch = dip quickly in already boiling water so they are barely cooked, but still crunchy.
=)
Kk..
Blanch...that's the word that I couldn't think of when I was running out the door!!!

=)
Kk..
Blanch...that's the word that I couldn't think of when I was running out the door!!!
Yep and it is an important step. It stops the aging enzymes of the vegetable so it will be fresher tasting.:)

Back