Freezing muffin batter

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Country Girl

Reaction score
Have any of you ever tried freezing muffin batter with good results? If so, did you let the batter thaw to room temp. before baking the muffins or did you bake them still frozen?

I have never thought of freezing muffin batter. I will be interested to hear the answers, too. Is it that you have too much or do you want to make it ahead?

It is possible to freeze muffin batter. I would suggest you fill the tins, then freeze it. Put them in the oven, frozen, and bake an additional 10 minutes. You will have to experiment with your recipe, perhaps adjusting the levening agent.
You can also keep batter in the refrigerator too for up to 5 days. This works best for batters made with double-acting baking powder, not for ones made with baking soda.

It is possible to freeze muffin batter. I would suggest you fill the tins, then freeze it. Put them in the oven, frozen, and bake an additional 10 minutes. You will have to experiment with your recipe, perhaps adjusting the levening agent.
You can also keep batter in the refrigerator too for up to 5 days. This works best for batters made with double-acting baking powder, not for ones made with baking soda..
Actually what works for us is to bake and then freeze the muffins. Then for breakfast we take them out and cover with foil and bake the exact same temp and time. Usually take the foil off the last ten minutes. Taste just like fresh baked, and gives us extra time to sleep in.
Riki

When I went to Charleston for City business and had the horse people coming in after I left, I made a pan of mini-muffins and put it in the freezer when I was making the muffins for my last breakfsat before I left. DH took the pan out and let it thaw before baking. The muffins baked perfectly.

You can also keep batter in the refrigerator too for up to 5 days. This works best for batters made with double-acting baking powder, not for ones made with baking soda..
Actually what works for us is to bake and then freeze the muffins. Then for breakfast we take them out and cover with foil and bake the exact same temp and time. Usually take the foil off the last ten minutes. Taste just like fresh baked, and gives us extra time to sleep in.
Riki
I tried this but found the muffins tasted a little stale and dry but maybe that's because I didn't cover them with aluminum foil first. You bake them for the full amount a second time? Do you bake them in the tins, covered with aluminum foil or do you wrap each muffin individually in aluminum foil?

Yes, it works fine. You put the batter in those tin foil muffin liners (they can stand up on their own). Make triple batches, freeze the works. Then when you want to bake them pull out as many as you want and put them straight from freezer to oven. You'll have to bake them a little longer. Also, put water in any empty muffin cups to help them bake more evenly (and it's better for your pan).
It's a great way to mix and match flavors, and to save time in the morning.
=)
Kk.

Riki
I tried this but found the muffins tasted a little stale and dry but maybe that's because I didn't cover them with aluminum foil first. You bake them for the full amount a second time? Do you bake them in the tins, covered with aluminum foil or do you wrap each muffin individually in aluminum foil?
I bake them, some in muffin liners, some not. Depends on how easily they come out of the pan.
Put them all in a zip lock and freeze.
Take them out (usually for me it is 4) and sit in a pie tin and cover loosely with alum foil
The only time ours are dry are if they are in the oven TOO LONG.
Most of my muffin recipes are for baking 30-35 minutes, so I take them out and bake them for 30 minutes at 350.
Serve immediately.
So if you have people late for breakfast, theirs may be a little dry. Maybe putting them back in the tin with the other muffin holes with water wiil help you - but we work it this way just fine.
Riki

It works great. Freeze in tins in paper liner and store in tuperware or plastic freezer bags . I like to remove paper before baking . I think the muffins look nicer baked in the tin not in the paper. Bake 10 minutes longer than original recipe. Nice to have when you only need a few and then you have a variety. I always try to make different kinds and freeze some of everything I make

Bake muffins as usual. Remove from muffin pan and cool. Once cool, transfer the muffins into freezer-grade plastic bags or wrap them individually in heavy-duty aluminum foil. Seal, label and freeze. Aluminum Products

Back