Freezing scones

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madeleine

Reaction score
Suggestions for freezing scones welcome. I've got a few weeks here where it's dead so I thought I would try to get some scones made.
Cool completely first, then freeze?
Freezer bags? Some sort of plastic container?

yes cool completely, i would wrap each separately and then put in freezer bags.

Good ol NE still freezing your scones off are ye? haha
shades_smile.gif

Seems to me they may end up crumbly when you want to eat them, be careful.

I haven't tried it, but a friend of mine makes the dough, cuts them into individual wedges, then freezes them. Take them out the night before and cook in the morning.

I just checked the King Arthur site and thei consensus is rhe same as mine. Bake but not overbake..cool ..wrap individually, and bag.
let thaw for a few minutes and reheat in 350 degree oven to serve.

I freeze mine before baking. Mix, shape, cut in wedges. Freeze separated wedges solid before transferring to a freezer bag. If storing for longer than a week, double wrap. Do not thaw before baking. Bake from frozen, adding a few minutes to the time.

I freeze mine before baking but take them out the night before to thaw and then bake as usual. I have baked them frozen and that was fine but they take about 5 mins. longer.

When I bake my scones, I let the extras cool for about 15-20 minutes and then I put them immediately into tupperware containers (I don't bother to individually wrap them). I put this container right into the freezer and pull them out as I need them for guests leaving early. I can pull them out and wrap in plastic wrap and put into a to go bag for those leaving early and leave it in the dining room before I go to bed - they are defrosted by morning. If I'm serving them, I put them into my toaster oven on bake at 200 degrees for about 20 minutes and they taste good as new. This works with my homemade scones as well as the King Arthur mixes. This morning only had 6 guests and about a dozen scones in the freezer so I didn't need to turn on my whole oven for them, just popped into the toaster oven. Good as just baked and no issues with being crumbly.

When I bake my scones, I let the extras cool for about 15-20 minutes and then I put them immediately into tupperware containers (I don't bother to individually wrap them). I put this container right into the freezer and pull them out as I need them for guests leaving early. I can pull them out and wrap in plastic wrap and put into a to go bag for those leaving early and leave it in the dining room before I go to bed - they are defrosted by morning. If I'm serving them, I put them into my toaster oven on bake at 200 degrees for about 20 minutes and they taste good as new. This works with my homemade scones as well as the King Arthur mixes. This morning only had 6 guests and about a dozen scones in the freezer so I didn't need to turn on my whole oven for them, just popped into the toaster oven. Good as just baked and no issues with being crumbly..
I guess the real secret is reheating them. Every "dough" thing I freeze comes out sticky even if it goes in the freezer dry.
Maybe not cooled down long enough.
Will try a bunch of these methods!

Back