French Toast

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I made some French Toast this morning. All I had was wheat bread but it tasted better than before. I used some vanilla, cinnamon, a dash of nutmeg and and some maple syrup for sweetness. Thanks for all the suggestions! Next time I will plan ahead and have some other kind of bread.

i just don't like vanilla in my scrambled eggs ....
confused_smile.gif
seashanty said:
confused_smile.gif
I tried making scrambled eggs one day with the leftover ft batter. Yuck. Vanilla in eggs just doesn't come out well. Nor does cinnamon or nutmeg. Ya gotta have the bread in there!
I grate fresh nutmeg and also fry banana slices in butter and offer it to guests in addition to syrup. I'm lucky as I have banana trees and often have extras.
Markie said:
I grate fresh nutmeg and also fry banana slices in butter and offer it to guests in addition to syrup. I'm lucky as I have banana trees and often have extras.
That sounds yummy! Have you even tried to use brown sugar in with the bananas while they were cooking? I'm thinking that would taste like Bananas Foster?

confused_smile.gif
seashanty said:
confused_smile.gif
I tried making scrambled eggs one day with the leftover ft batter. Yuck. Vanilla in eggs just doesn't come out well. Nor does cinnamon or nutmeg. Ya gotta have the bread in there!
Markie said:
That sounds yummy! Have you even tried to use brown sugar in with the bananas while they were cooking? I'm thinking that would taste like Bananas Foster?
I live on the Big Island of Hawaii and we have three acres that includes a lot of fruit trees. Right now we have guava, rambutan, starfruit, bananas, pineapples and lots of citrus.
I'll try the brown sugar with the bananas next time. Thanks for the tip.

confused_smile.gif
seashanty said:
confused_smile.gif
Markie said:
I live on the Big Island of Hawaii and we have three acres that includes a lot of fruit trees. Right now we have guava, rambutan, starfruit, bananas, pineapples and lots of citrus.
I am serving bananas this morning to a guest who has refused any and all fruit this week, with the exception of the fruit dish that was more like dessert.
I'm going to make him a happy face out of the banana slices. They're the only guests here so no embarassment factor.

confused_smile.gif
seashanty said:
confused_smile.gif
Markie said:
I have a fruit dish I save for really nasty mornings, especially when I know guests have a long travel day ahead of them.
Name on menu: Sauteed Bananas .... however its AKA is An Oooey, Gooey, Sticky Mess. Always goes down well.
Toast pecans & coconut, put aside. Slice bananas, Melt butter and brown sugar in frying pan, add a slug of vanilla, add bananas, let them get messy, add toasted stuff and serve.
YUM

I use the left over french bread that I made a couple days from before. I found a recipe on the web for stuffed frech toast. It had cream cheese and orange marmalade inside. (It is baked in the oven after the frying pan to ensure the filling gets hot).
I personally thought it was to die for. I think it came from the Epicurius Website. Shame on me for not keeping track of where recipes come from.
Unforgettable French Toast
[COLOR= #444063] [/COLOR]
Ingredients: preparation time: 10 min. Serves: 6
1 Baguette
5 Eggs
1 1/4 cup Heavy Cream
pinch Salt
2 teaspoons Cinnamon
1 teaspoons Nutmeg
2 tablespoons Grand Marnier
4 oz Cream Cheese
Orange Marmalade

Directions:
Steps:
Beat Eggs, heavy cream, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg in bowl. Add Grand Marnier and let sit.

Slice baguette on an angle to create 1-inch thick slices of bread. Cut the bread down the center to create a pocket (like a hot dog bun); do not cut all the way through. Once the bread is cut, spread cream cheese inside the pocket. Then follow with orange marmalade.

Lay the bread on a baking sheet and pour batter over the French toast. Allow to sit about 10 minutes; then turn the French toast to the other side.

Cook the French toast in a frying pan until golden brown.
Place in the oven on a baking sheet for 15 minutes or so to continue heating all the way through and blending the flavors!
Garnish with powdered sugar and a slice of orange.

This recipe is great also with fresh strawberries or with strawberry preserves.

confused_smile.gif
seashanty said:
confused_smile.gif
Markie said:
I have a fruit dish I save for really nasty mornings, especially when I know guests have a long travel day ahead of them.
Name on menu: Sauteed Bananas .... however its AKA is An Oooey, Gooey, Sticky Mess. Always goes down well.
Toast pecans & coconut, put aside. Slice bananas, Melt butter and brown sugar in frying pan, add a slug of vanilla, add bananas, let them get messy, add toasted stuff and serve.
YUM
The Tipsy Butler said:
YUM
OH MY GOODNESS!!! Do you serve this in a individual compote dish? Have you served it over something else like waffles? This I will have to try this weekend. I'm making my grocery list as I type....!

I use the left over french bread that I made a couple days from before. I found a recipe on the web for stuffed frech toast. It had cream cheese and orange marmalade inside. (It is baked in the oven after the frying pan to ensure the filling gets hot).
I personally thought it was to die for. I think it came from the Epicurius Website. Shame on me for not keeping track of where recipes come from.
1 Baguette
5 Eggs
1 1/4 cup Heavy Cream
pinch Salt
2 teaspoons Cinnamon
1 teaspoons Nutmeg
4 oz Cream Cheese
Orange Marmalade

Directions:
Steps:
Beat Eggs, heavy cream, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg in bowl. Add Grand Marnier and let sit.

Slice baguette on an angle to create 1-inch thick slices of bread. Cut the bread down the center to create a pocket (like a hot dog bun); do not cut all the way through. Once the bread is cut, spread cream cheese inside the pocket. Then follow with orange marmalade.

Lay the bread on a baking sheet and pour batter over the French toast. Allow to sit about 10 minutes; then turn the French toast to the other side.

Place in the oven on a baking sheet for 15 minutes or so to continue heating all the way through and blending the flavors!

This recipe is great also with fresh strawberries or with strawberry preserves. .
Cathy said:
1 Baguette
5 Eggs
1 1/4 cup Heavy Cream
pinch Salt
2 teaspoons Cinnamon
1 teaspoons Nutmeg
4 oz Cream Cheese
Orange Marmalade

Directions:
Steps:

I don't have Grand Marnier...can I substitute OJ instead? What if you were making this withe the Strawberry what flavor would you use, vanilla?

confused_smile.gif
seashanty said:
confused_smile.gif
Markie said:
I am serving bananas this morning to a guest who has refused any and all fruit this week, with the exception of the fruit dish that was more like dessert.
I'm going to make him a happy face out of the banana slices. They're the only guests here so no embarassment factor.
Bree said:
I never get the people who won't/don't eat fruit! I LOVE it and would eat any you put in front of my face! How did the happy face banana turn out, did he eat it?

confused_smile.gif
seashanty said:
confused_smile.gif
Markie said:
Bree said:
I never get the people who won't/don't eat fruit! I LOVE it and would eat any you put in front of my face! How did the happy face banana turn out, did he eat it?
GeorgiaGirl25 said:
Bree said:
Arrrgh! I had to answer the phone and hubs just cut up the banana and threw it in a dish. He knew I was going to do that, but he wouldn't do something like that for an adult.

confused_smile.gif
seashanty said:
confused_smile.gif
Markie said:
Bree said:
GeorgiaGirl25 said:
Bree said:
Arrrgh! I had to answer the phone and hubs just cut up the banana and threw it in a dish. He knew I was going to do that, but he wouldn't do something like that for an adult.
Bree said:
GeorgiaGirl25 said:
Bree said:
Guess that's a 'man thing'! Did the guy eat the banana though?

confused_smile.gif
seashanty said:
confused_smile.gif
Markie said:
Bree said:
GeorgiaGirl25 said:
Bree said:
Bree said:
GeorgiaGirl25 said:
Bree said:
Guess that's a 'man thing'! Did the guy eat the banana though?
Yes, he ate the banana! And loved it.

1 Baguette
5 Eggs
1 1/4 cup Heavy Cream
pinch Salt
2 teaspoons Cinnamon
1 teaspoons Nutmeg
4 oz Cream Cheese
Orange Marmalade

Directions:
Steps:

This recipe is great also with fresh strawberries or with strawberry preserves. .
Cathy said:
1 Baguette
5 Eggs
1 1/4 cup Heavy Cream
pinch Salt
2 teaspoons Cinnamon
1 teaspoons Nutmeg
4 oz Cream Cheese
Orange Marmalade

Directions:
Steps:

I don't have Grand Marnier...can I substitute OJ instead? What if you were making this withe the Strawberry what flavor would you use, vanilla?
I make this all the time! One of DH's favorite breakfasts, and I'd do it more often if it wasn't so indulgent. I got my original recipe from Epicurious, but do variations without looking at the recipe. Works fine with milk of practically any sort, and I use low-sugar marmalade. The recipe I used didn't mention the oven bit, but that'll be helpful when I start cooking for more than 2!
Have omitted the Grand Marnier without any problems--the marmalade gets the orange flavor going pretty well, so don't think juice is necessary. GM is probably just for a slightly more mature dimension... don't know much about liquors, but I imagine there's something similar you could sub if you don't have Triple Sec or anything like it... rum, maybe?
If you do this with fresh strawberries, throw a little powdered sugar in the filling for good measure.

Back