French Toast

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeorgiaGirl

Reaction score
Do you do something special to your french toast?? Whenever I make it, it's just blah. Do you sweeten the mix or add vanilla? Help me make better french toast!!!
help.gif

I add vanilla to my egg mixture as well as some grated orange zest and a bit of OJ.
I have friends who melt vanilla ice cream and use it as the base with eggs. I never tried it but it sounds yummy.

GG- describe how you make FT...what kind of bread do you use, what goes in your egg batter?

same here. eggs, 1/2 and 1/2, splash of vanilla, dash of cinammon, thick slices of bread.i like to cut them into triangles. i put a little confectioners sugar in a strainer and dust the slices on the plate before serving ...
just remember, you can't scramble leftover egg mixture for scrambled eggs. with vanilla it does not taste so good!

egg and little water, vanilla. Works very well with croissant bread sliced... slice the night before and set out, covered with tea towel... if it's a bit dry it will not fall apart as readily in the egg bath. We use fresh fruit syrup as a topper and then whipped cream. Also use raisin bread or apple streusel bread stuffed with a thin layer of cream cheese between 2 slices. Serve with maple syrup.

Try adding a little nutmeg to the mix as well.
I always make the baked-in-the-oven version so it soaks in the milk;/egg bath overnight. I add brown sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon and vanilla to the mix and then cook it in the morning topped with toasted pecans, blueberries and a little brown sugar/butter glaze. Substituting almond milk for regular adds some flavor, also.

GG- describe how you make FT...what kind of bread do you use, what goes in your egg batter?.
Bree said:
GG- describe how you make FT...what kind of bread do you use, what goes in your egg batter?
Egg and milk is all I use. I normally just use whatever bread I have (which is usually a honey wheat), but even when I use white bread it still doesn't do it for me. I never make it much anymore since it's boring.
I do like baked french toast and I even have a recipe for one that has sliced cinnamon apples in it, but I never plan ahead to make it the night before unless I have company
confused_smile.gif

If I get time in the morning I'm going to try making some french toast with some of the suggestions here. Caitlin and I are going to a "scarecrow festival" and a antique/art festival tomorrow then shopping at the mall afterwards so we'll be lucky just to get up and out of the house early!
Seashanty, No, I don't suppose the egg mixture with vanilla in it would be too good scrambled!
omg_smile.gif

GG- describe how you make FT...what kind of bread do you use, what goes in your egg batter?.
Bree said:
Egg and milk is all I use. I normally just use whatever bread I have (which is usually a honey wheat), but even when I use white bread it still doesn't do it for me. I never make it much anymore since it's boring.
I do like baked french toast and I even have a recipe for one that has sliced cinnamon apples in it, but I never plan ahead to make it the night before unless I have company
confused_smile.gif

GeorgiaGirl25 said:
Well, there you go... you need more flavor! Vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, kahlua, heavy cream, ice cream, OJ... start playing and see what happens.
Alton Brown/Good Eats did a show on FT. He cuts it thick, lets it sit on edge overnight, soaks well, fries in a hot pan, then bakes in the oven on a rack over a cookie sheet. He claims the perfect FT is crispy on the outside and custard-like inside. But then, he's pretty anal...
Anyway, what I liked about the method was the hold factor... having it in the oven until guests come down. Naturally, it never happens that way here. They eat their fruit and I'm trying to get it done quickly.
=)
Kk.

If I get time in the morning I'm going to try making some french toast with some of the suggestions here. Caitlin and I are going to a "scarecrow festival" and a antique/art festival tomorrow then shopping at the mall afterwards so we'll be lucky just to get up and out of the house early!
Seashanty, No, I don't suppose the egg mixture with vanilla in it would be too good scrambled!
omg_smile.gif
GeorgiaGirl25 said:
omg_smile.gif
Actually, I scramble my leftovers, which always seem to have some bits of bread and stuff, and eat them in a bowl with syrup. Just don't think "scrambled" when you eat it -- think FT-- and it's fine.
=)
Kk.

omg_smile.gif
GeorgiaGirl25 said:
omg_smile.gif
Actually, I scramble my leftovers, which always seem to have some bits of bread and stuff, and eat them in a bowl with syrup. Just don't think "scrambled" when you eat it -- think FT-- and it's fine.
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
GeorgiaGirl25 said:
omg_smile.gif
=)
Kk.
teeth_smile.gif

Bree said:
confused_smile.gif

GeorgiaGirl25 said:
Bree said:
confused_smile.gif
Well then you'll find the suggestions here will definitely perk things up! Honey wheat is probably too 'healthy' for FT. I hate wheat bread for FT. Either get a 'sweet' bread or add a little sugar, cinnamon & vanilla to the batter.

Bree said:
confused_smile.gif

GeorgiaGirl25 said:
Bree said:
confused_smile.gif
Well then you'll find the suggestions here will definitely perk things up! Honey wheat is probably too 'healthy' for FT. I hate wheat bread for FT. Either get a 'sweet' bread or add a little sugar, cinnamon & vanilla to the batter.
And then you can actually use French bread for French Toast
chef.gif
This is my personal favorite.
I need to start a poll on who has guests that like super sweet breakfasts (like my inn-mate in Texas...the sweeter the breakfast, the better). My guests here will choose eggs almost every time if given the choice!

i just don't like vanilla in my scrambled eggs ....
confused_smile.gif
seashanty said:
confused_smile.gif
I tried making scrambled eggs one day with the leftover ft batter. Yuck. Vanilla in eggs just doesn't come out well. Nor does cinnamon or nutmeg. Ya gotta have the bread in there!

confused_smile.gif
seashanty said:
confused_smile.gif
I tried making scrambled eggs one day with the leftover ft batter. Yuck. Vanilla in eggs just doesn't come out well. Nor does cinnamon or nutmeg. Ya gotta have the bread in there!
I grate fresh nutmeg and also fry banana slices in butter and offer it to guests in addition to syrup. I'm lucky as I have banana trees and often have extras.

confused_smile.gif
seashanty said:
confused_smile.gif
I grate fresh nutmeg and also fry banana slices in butter and offer it to guests in addition to syrup. I'm lucky as I have banana trees and often have extras.
Wow, banana trees! Where are you located? Generally-speaking if you'd rather not say exactly.

confused_smile.gif
seashanty said:
confused_smile.gif
Wow, banana trees! Where are you located? Generally-speaking if you'd rather not say exactly.
Bree said:
We had banana trees in Southern CA. More citrus than banana, but you could grow them there and get a bunch.

Back