Fresh Squeezed Orange Juice Vs. Canned Concentrate

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scrambled_eggs

Reaction score
I'm curious how many of you actually do fresh squeezed orange juice. I had a request not too long ago by someone making a reservation. She asked me if I serve freshed squeezed. I was honest and told her no we use frozen concentrate from a can. I do get a lot of compliments on the orange juice even though it is from a can. I would love to do fresh squeezed but doesn't that take a lot of work and a lot of oranges? I have seen the large squeezers with the pull down handles that are very quick and press out the juice but I just can't imagine buying all those oranges and squeezing for up to 10 people. For the guest who wanted fresh squeezed I did to it for her and only half a glass was drank which kind of dissapointed me. Oh well. What do you all do and what are your thoughts on this?

We have not-from-concentrate store bought - so we hit the middle ground. The truth is, we like it better, and my DH does drink some orange juice.
The best orange juice I've ever had at a B&B was fresh-squeezed, with one blood orange for every two regular juice oranges. It was a rosy orange color, like a tequila sunrise. But we have too many people to either do the squeezing or store the juice oranges.

You could always set the reamer on the table and roll out a few navels in its direction. :)

Your experience is why we try to not do anything out of the ordinary for just one person.
However, that's not the question. I did read somewhere that you can recreate the 'fresh-squeezed taste' by taking normal store-bought, not from concentrate oj and squeezing the juice from 2 oranges into the container. Haven't tried it myself.

We just switched from using concentrate to using small individual serving bottles. Fresh squeezed was not an option for us - Maybe I lived in Florida too long, but I am very snooty about the quality of citrus when it's out of season.
I was pretty paranoid about the reconsituted juice, and always tasting it before serving...but the kicker was that we'd someone ask for it, then drink, at most, a tumbler. So if I mixed up the entire container it went to waste (it just doesn't get drunk here), and even when I'd mix as little as a quart, I'd end up dumping some. We decided we'd switch to offering the indiviudal serving bottles, although I don't like them as much myself (but I'm not a juice drinker). And, while they're pricier per serving, we aren't wasting, so it works out. We haven't said anything about the change to guests; as before, we ask the night before their juice preference so we can be sure it is well chilled.
Ironically, not a single person has requested orange juice since we switched. We seem to get mostly coffee and water drinkers.

I use the premium - not from concentrate. I wondered if anyone really knew the difference until the morning I overheard a lady say to her companions "it's real orange juice". I go through a LOT of OJ here. I also have a non-citric every morning but the OJ pitcher usually empties.

we like to use Lots of Pulp OJ here - and offer other juices as well. the Blend is popular - oj with a bit of cranberry just pour in so it is marblized... guests say it looks like a tequila sunrise, whatever that is?!!

We are strictly by-the-can people. Not only do we offer OJ, but also those mixed concentrate juices that are sweeter than a diabetic's blood off his meds. Notwithstanding that, we offer fresh fruit in season, home-baked breads, and a protein dish of some sort every morning. The OJ's the least of our worries. And at our elevation (8900 ft), the most popular drink on our table is water.

ah the tequila sunrise ... drink of my 'youth'
orange juice, grenadine syrup and tequila
the heavy, red grenadine syrup slowly settles to the bottom, the orange juice being lighter drifts above ... with variations. looks like a sunrise in a tall glass.

ah the tequila sunrise ... drink of my 'youth'
orange juice, grenadine syrup and tequila
the heavy, red grenadine syrup slowly settles to the bottom, the orange juice being lighter drifts above ... with variations. looks like a sunrise in a tall glass..
Hey, me too!

We use Minute Maid premium frozen, the country style with pulp. Everyone loves it, I get asked all the time how I have time to squeeze that much fresh OJ. I tell them what it is and then they're happy because they can recreate it at home. I think OJ in general has gotten so expensive that a lot of folks don't buy it for themselves, so they're happy to get it in unlimited quantities here.
Just had a guest who had stayed with the PO's, he made a point to tell me how offended he was that the PO's served the OJ already poured, and in the tiniest little juice glasses you can imagine. That was all ya got! And I know for a fact they used the generic brand frozen OJ (which was gross) so I really don't know what they were so worries about conserving it for! We put a full pitcher out and will refill it as many times as it gets emptied.

We use cartons of not-from-concentrate OJ. I really like the idea of supplementing that with some fresh-squeezed. I'll give that a try. If you have a KitchenAid countertop mixer, they sell an attachment which makes quick work of reaming citrus. I use it when making a big batch of lemonade.

I will say too that regardless of what kind of OJ you use, store it in a GLASS container, not plastic. The ascorbic acid in the juice eats away at plastic and the juice won't stay fresh as long. It gets a funky taste too in plastic.

Tedwin, homemade lemonade? What time do you close, I am starting my car right now!
The "most memorable B&B ever" that I often refer to in Costa Rica was the place that inquired about what smoothie you would to start breakfast. Because it was not just made every day and placed in front of you, it was a special treat, so you anticipated this fresh fruit smoothie. Have you thought of doing this as the first course, fresh squeezed juice and they sign up for which juice they would prefer? In a nutshell, it is just not part of the breakfast, at the table (like my juice is) and they drink it or don't drink it, it is a real treat. SO FRESH SQUEEZED JUICE SHOULD BE!
In fact here it is if anyone cares to know - our shower was outside in the sunshine with wild orchids blooming...right on the beach, i cannot even tell you the details of this B&B, the website does nothing to show what it is really like: http://www.sueno-del-mar.com/index3.html

Tedwin, homemade lemonade? What time do you close, I am starting my car right now!
The "most memorable B&B ever" that I often refer to in Costa Rica was the place that inquired about what smoothie you would to start breakfast. Because it was not just made every day and placed in front of you, it was a special treat, so you anticipated this fresh fruit smoothie. Have you thought of doing this as the first course, fresh squeezed juice and they sign up for which juice they would prefer? In a nutshell, it is just not part of the breakfast, at the table (like my juice is) and they drink it or don't drink it, it is a real treat. SO FRESH SQUEEZED JUICE SHOULD BE!
In fact here it is if anyone cares to know - our shower was outside in the sunshine with wild orchids blooming...right on the beach, i cannot even tell you the details of this B&B, the website does nothing to show what it is really like: http://www.sueno-del-mar.com/index3.html.
How big of a serving is a fruit smoothie? We couldn't do them because of the noise of the blender, but I'm curious. If it's too big, no one would eat. Too small and they think we're cheap!

In fact here it is if anyone cares to know - our shower was outside in the sunshine with wild orchids blooming...right on the beach, i cannot even tell you the details of this B&B, the website does nothing to show what it is really like: http://www.sueno-del-mar.com/index3.html.
How big of a serving is a fruit smoothie? We couldn't do them because of the noise of the blender, but I'm curious. If it's too big, no one would eat. Too small and they think we're cheap!
I use to do "smoothie" type drinks for our guests. I served them in wine glasses. People loved them!
Berry Breeze
1 large can of frozen Welch’s Mixed Berry Juice
2 cans water
1 can crushed ice
1 carton strawberry or raspberry yogurt
A handful of fresh or frozen strawberries
Mix in a blender until combined and frothy. Depending on the size of your blender, you may have to do in two parts and combine together in a pitcher for serving.

Banana I read that as: I concentrate when I squeeze an orange into it. :)

I used to do small smoothie starters in the warm weather. I put them in larger cordial or port glasses. This was another good way to use the bananas that seem to ripen even more quickly in the warmer weather. :)

Always not from concentrate juice with some pulp in it and the guests commented on it all the time. I did keep frozen OJ concentrate in the freezer in the event that there was a run on OJ and I ran out and had to punt.
We offered a variety of juices though: OJ, Cranberry, Cran Raspberry (or other cran blend), tomato, apple, and sometimes grapefruit (because I liked it but my dh can't drink it). We also offered the OJ/cranberry combo which was a big hit. I bought the tomato in the small cans because it was not requested that often. Poured on request and bottomless refills on juice here.

Back