Friends and Family - Not the Government - Inspire Brits' Holiday Choices in 2012

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
Friends and Family - Not the Government - Inspire Brits' Holiday Choices in 2012
Nice little survey with info
The ABTA YouGov survey also revealed that British holidaymakers are more likely to look forward to a foreign break (42%) than a domestic one (16%) reinforcing Britain’s desire to ‘get away from it all’. 41% of respondents look forward to both types of holiday equally.

I do have to say that the statement that planning a holiday is one of the few pleasures left to the British working population is kind of sad. Really? There is nothing else in their lives but getting away from their lives?

I was interested to see it say that women do most of the deciding on vacations (where to go, where to stay). I suspected that but good to see it confirmed. It helps to know who the target of your marketing should be.

I was interested to see it say that women do most of the deciding on vacations (where to go, where to stay). I suspected that but good to see it confirmed. It helps to know who the target of your marketing should be..
Arkansawyer said:
I was interested to see it say that women do most of the deciding on vacations (where to go, where to stay). I suspected that but good to see it confirmed. It helps to know who the target of your marketing should be.
Yeah baby!
I believe most of us know this deep down. Even if the rez comes in via a male name, if they are a married couple, it is overwhelmingly females who choose to stay in B&B's. They are also the one who pick the campground and park for a family summer vacation.
Unless it is a male owner and operated B&B, of course. Then those stats are out the window, but in the grand scheme of things, the females choose them, the mothers and the wives are typically the planners. Now I would never say that in my marketing, of course, but would try to appeal to them a bit more. But - not a girl friend getaway - spa, pink and frilly. That is insulting!
wink_smile.gif
I think that appeals to a very small population of females.
Let's see "DUCK BLIND or ROMANTIC BED AND BREAKFAST?" (I say duck blind since your state is a premiere duck hunting locale) :)

I do have to say that the statement that planning a holiday is one of the few pleasures left to the British working population is kind of sad. Really? There is nothing else in their lives but getting away from their lives?.
Madeleine said:
I do have to say that the statement that planning a holiday is one of the few pleasures left to the British working population is kind of sad. Really? There is nothing else in their lives but getting away from their lives?
Well they certainly are not staying in the UK for the weather!
I would be interested in seeing this same poll for the USA. UK are more intl travel minded, I mean living on an island does that to you (plus they have more annual days for holidays than the USA by far). There are segments of our country where I think the inns have a totally diff travel base, say the midwest, vs the NE. The East coasters seem to zip up and down this coast all the time, no worries.

I do have to say that the statement that planning a holiday is one of the few pleasures left to the British working population is kind of sad. Really? There is nothing else in their lives but getting away from their lives?.
Madeleine said:
I would be interested in seeing this same poll for the USA. UK are more intl travel minded, I mean living on an island does that to you (plus they have more annual days for holidays than the USA by far). There are segments of our country where I think the inns have a totally diff travel base, say the midwest, vs the NE. The East coasters seem to zip up and down this coast all the time, no worries.
I think Hawaiians feel similarly about getting off the Islands.
It would be interesting to do our own poll...not sure how to lay it out.
Where is your inn located (either by state or area of the country- but, we can't even decide on which states go in which areas of the country, so we'd have to lay the groundrules first!) and where do your guests typically come from? Say the top 50%. Nearby states? Within 200 miles? 500 miles? (OK, so I just gave away that I live in a state where you can travel 500 miles and actually BE in another state.
wink_smile.gif
)

I was interested to see it say that women do most of the deciding on vacations (where to go, where to stay). I suspected that but good to see it confirmed. It helps to know who the target of your marketing should be..
Arkansawyer said:
Yeah baby!
I believe most of us know this deep down. Even if the rez comes in via a male name, if they are a married couple, it is overwhelmingly females who choose to stay in B&B's. They are also the one who pick the campground and park for a family summer vacation.
Unless it is a male owner and operated B&B, of course. Then those stats are out the window, but in the grand scheme of things, the females choose them, the mothers and the wives are typically the planners. Now I would never say that in my marketing, of course, but would try to appeal to them a bit more. But - not a girl friend getaway - spa, pink and frilly. That is insulting!
wink_smile.gif
Let's see "DUCK BLIND or ROMANTIC BED AND BREAKFAST?" (I say duck blind since your state is a premiere duck hunting locale) :)
I never include spa stuff in GF getaway weekends because it is too dang hard to plan. What's big here for GFGA:
  • wine tastings
  • chocolate tastings
  • archery, skeet & fishing demos
  • shopping
  • theater
  • hanging out together

Arkansawyer said:
Yeah baby!
wink_smile.gif
Absolutely agree that the reservations coming in under a guy's name are mostly made by women. Why? The email goes to the woman! Addressed to the man because that's how the software does it. Unless it's his way of saying, 'See, I did it.'

Madeleine said:
Where is your inn located (either by state or area of the country- but, we can't even decide on which states go in which areas of the country, so we'd have to lay the groundrules first!) and where do your guests typically come from? Say the top 50%. Nearby states? Within 200 miles? 500 miles? (OK, so I just gave away that I live in a state where you can travel 500 miles and actually BE in another state.
wink_smile.gif
)
Re USA POLL
The diff in the answers also being that half of the US Population is within a days drive from us here. So how does that skew the poll? Probably severely.
Example PT's cabins, he is a destination (and destination guests typically go to just that one place and stay) vs our inn, for example, which is between 50 major "tourism" destinations, so we get more road trippers. We DO get the UK guests as they go from one famous tourism site to another- it may be a natural site like The Shenandoah National Park or The Great Smokies. Also wanting to see small town USA and southern living. We do NOT get the UK visitors going to our lakes, kayaking, hiking, or any of that! They do not stay in cabins, they are not interested in hot tubs, in the least, when they drive the road, or blue highways, the may enjoy off the beaten path, but that is rarely on their agenda.
So that is a part of that poll that needs to be spoken. Going to a place via word of mouth, but it must be grand, it cannot be just a nice place people enjoy. Since they are spending so much to get there. Hope that makes sense, from my pov.

Arkansawyer said:
Yeah baby!
wink_smile.gif
I never include spa stuff in GF getaway weekends because it is too dang hard to plan. What's big here for GFGA:
  • wine tastings
  • chocolate tastings
  • shopping
  • theater
  • hanging out together
Madeleine said:
  • wine tastings
  • chocolate tastings
  • shopping
  • theater
  • hanging out together
a package. Not the bulk of your guests, that would be a small %. But speaking of the overall flavor of your website, does it appeal to females more than males...I think that is what I was getting at, not specifically geared packages.
For example, we can mention the old historic home B&B's with pink gingerbread and all the dried flowers and decorators touches, the frilly canopy beds, the intense wallpaper all over the inn, the way over the top breakfasts (settings and servings). Not that is anything wrong with that, just saying these website and experiences appeal to certain people, primarily women of a certain style.
Don't get me wrong when I share these images...there is a place for each of us, this inn has a wonderful niche market.
niche%20market.jpg

niche%20market%202.jpg

Arkansawyer said:
Yeah baby!
wink_smile.gif
Joey Bloggs said:
Yes, we're right on the edge of a huge federal wildlife area known locally as "the duck woods" and lots of duck hunters travel to here. My friends at the local Days Inn say they have trouble with some of the hunters wanting to clean their ducks inside their room! So they watch for them and direct them out back where they keep a table and water hose just for the duck hunters.
They also encourage them to hose off their boots before entering the hotel.
As you might imagine, I'm a bit worried about this, but I'd be foolish not to market to the duckhunters. They're here in the cold months when nobody else is!

Arkansawyer said:
Yeah baby!
wink_smile.gif
  • wine tastings
  • chocolate tastings
  • shopping
  • theater
  • hanging out together
Madeleine said:
  • wine tastings
  • chocolate tastings
  • shopping
  • theater
  • hanging out together
a package. Not the bulk of your guests, that would be a small %. But speaking of the overall flavor of your website, does it appeal to females more than males...I think that is what I was getting at, not specifically geared packages.
For example, we can mention the old historic home B&B's with pink gingerbread and all the dried flowers and decorators touches, the frilly canopy beds, the intense wallpaper all over the inn, the way over the top breakfasts (settings and servings). Not that is anything wrong with that, just saying these website and experiences appeal to certain people, primarily women of a certain style.
Don't get me wrong when I share these images...there is a place for each of us, this inn has a wonderful niche market.
niche%20market.jpg

niche%20market%202.jpg

I don't do GFGA pkgs. Just saying that when GF's come here that's what they do. Rarely do they go do the spa thing unless they planned it themselves in advance.
(Sorry, I do see where my first comment implied I plan the weekends. I meant if someone calls to reserve for a group of women, I let them know about the things I mentioned and where they can find them.)

Arkansawyer said:
Yeah baby!
wink_smile.gif
Joey Bloggs said:
Yes, we're right on the edge of a huge federal wildlife area known locally as "the duck woods" and lots of duck hunters travel to here. My friends at the local Days Inn say they have trouble with some of the hunters wanting to clean their ducks inside their room! So they watch for them and direct them out back where they keep a table and water hose just for the duck hunters.
As you might imagine, I'm a bit worried about this, but I'd be foolish not to market to the duckhunters. They're here in the cold months when nobody else is!
Arkansawyer said:
Joey Bloggs said:
May I offer this advice: For those who have a spouse or partner who wants to sit out in the cold water or rice paddy duckhunting, they bring their wives along. Or they could, if there was an incentive. Having known one of these wives personally from many states away, they opted for antique shopping and dining out while the husband was with the hunting guide. It was a win win. They didn't clean dead ducks back at their hotel, they did this with the guide and he even froze the meat for them and they drove it back on dry ice.
If you have any guides there they would be a great contact to give rack cards and get your url on their website. You have probably thought of all this, just my suggestion from the outside looking in.
regular_smile.gif

I would say 75% of leisure bookings are booked by women (no offence guys but we just don't trust you!) even when the room is booked in a man's name the email address is [email protected] so you know its the wife. If you get them on the phone its the woman who makes the enquiry gets all the details and then hands over to the man (if he is involved at all) to give his card details!.

Madeleine said:
wink_smile.gif
)
RE: USA Poll
I also live within driving distance of half the population. I rarely get furriners. The man from England who came here specifically was writing a book about towns on US Rte 50 and the lady from England came here because she was driving US Rte 50 to a Conference (she used the Conference as an excuse to extend before & after for holiday and took a different route each time). My Netherlands family and the Aussies came via the Welcome Center as they were coming down the Interstate.
However, I do get a lot of guests from Florida, Illinois, and Cali, but the bulk are from the Beltway and surrounding States. I also get a nice number from in-State.

DH says flat out that the reason we had so many interesting trips was the research and planning that I did. He maintains I should have had a travel agency.

Arkansawyer said:
Yeah baby!
wink_smile.gif
Joey Bloggs said:
Arkansawyer said:
Joey Bloggs said:
May I offer this advice: For those who have a spouse or partner who wants to sit out in the cold water or rice paddy duckhunting, they bring their wives along. Or they could, if there was an incentive. Having known one of these wives personally from many states away, they opted for antique shopping and dining out while the husband was with the hunting guide. It was a win win. They didn't clean dead ducks back at their hotel, they did this with the guide and he even froze the meat for them and they drove it back on dry ice.
If you have any guides there they would be a great contact to give rack cards and get your url on their website. You have probably thought of all this, just my suggestion from the outside looking in.
regular_smile.gif

Joey Bloggs said:
May I offer this advice: For those who have a spouse or partner who wants to sit out in the cold water or rice paddy duckhunting, they bring their wives along. Or they could, if there was an incentive.
They have incentive. They bring the women folk along to pluck feathers while they sit back and sip beer.
I don't think most use a guide, which is why the rescue squad gets called out often to hunt for lost men in the duck woods.
No, Sof far I hadn't given much thought to the duck hunters, and your suggestions are good, and timely. Thanks.

Arkansawyer said:
Yeah baby!
wink_smile.gif
Joey Bloggs said:
Arkansawyer said:
Joey Bloggs said:
regular_smile.gif

Joey Bloggs said:
May I offer this advice: For those who have a spouse or partner who wants to sit out in the cold water or rice paddy duckhunting, they bring their wives along. Or they could, if there was an incentive.
They have incentive. They bring the women folk along to pluck feathers while they sit back and sip beer.
I don't think most use a guide, which is why the rescue squad gets called out often to hunt for lost men in the duck woods.
No, Sof far I hadn't given much thought to the duck hunters, and your suggestions are good, and timely. Thanks.
Arkansawyer said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Awrighty. I just know the amount of money some of them spend on their hobbies, and they often offset this to please the little lady while they spend big bucks. Yeah I don't know about your area specifically, but there are tons of forums that hunters rely on these days...Out of state hunters almost always use a guide, once you find the good guide, it is word of mouth and outdoor shows, etc. Local hunters are not what you are after, as always, local is never what we want.
I have no idea if any of these are near you: http://www.greenhead.net/guide-services

Arkansawyer said:
Yeah baby!
wink_smile.gif
Joey Bloggs said:
Arkansawyer said:
Joey Bloggs said:
regular_smile.gif

Joey Bloggs said:
Arkansawyer said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Awrighty. I just know the amount of money some of them spend on their hobbies, and they often offset this to please the little lady while they spend big bucks. Yeah I don't know about your area specifically, but there are tons of forums that hunters rely on these days...Out of state hunters almost always use a guide, once you find the good guide, it is word of mouth and outdoor shows, etc. Local hunters are not what you are after, as always, local is never what we want.
I have no idea if any of these are near you: http://www.greenhead.net/guide-services
I'm also wanting to market to bird watchers. I hear they spend more than any other tourists, and we're right in the middle of North America's main yearly bird migration route.
Barely on subject: I vacationed a few years ago in Ecuador, at this rain forest lodge over the Andes from most of the country, along a tributary to the Amazon, and leaned that there are more different types of birds in the little country of Ecuador than in all of North America.
I'm no bird watcher, but there was a British bird watcher chap there who paid a local porter just to carry his bird watching telescope on all the hikes. I like big spenders like that. Don't see many of those here in Arkansas!

Arkansawyer said:
Yeah baby!
wink_smile.gif
Joey Bloggs said:
Arkansawyer said:
Joey Bloggs said:
regular_smile.gif

Joey Bloggs said:
Arkansawyer said:
Joey Bloggs said:
I'm also wanting to market to bird watchers. I hear they spend more than any other tourists, and we're right in the middle of North America's main yearly bird migration route.
Barely on subject: I vacationed a few years ago in Ecuador, at this rain forest lodge over the Andes from most of the country, along a tributary to the Amazon, and leaned that there are more different types of birds in the little country of Ecuador than in all of North America.
I'm no bird watcher, but there was a British bird watcher chap there who paid a local porter just to carry his bird watching telescope on all the hikes. I like big spenders like that. Don't see many of those here in Arkansas!
Arkansawyer said:
I like your optimism!
Care to share where the bird watchers spend more $ came from, I would like to know. Those that I know are quite possibly the thriftiest people on the planet. I would really like the info if you can recall it, as we have birding and wildlife trails here - we have another major flyway, The Atlantic Flyway on our coast. It is on my list to get over there and see it! (not in mosquito season though)
cry_smile.gif

There is an innkeeper on this forum who has a personalized birding map made up by a birder and photographer for their inn. I think that is totally neat!

Back