Friends of guests

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
This is not something we have ever had an issue with (not really, just some minor silliness). We have guests here for a wedding. They are basically using the wedding as a college reunion so lots of coming and going and folks dropping by to say hi. Not a big deal so far. They have hung around the house most of the day, out on the lawn, friends dropping by and then leaving.
Today, tho, one friend came by and used a guest bathroom. Didn't ask, just went right in and didn't bother to flush.
Then, later on, I saw the same friend's car return so I locked all the guest room doors before I went out for my walk. I noticed some folks on the porch drinking wine and figured it was my guests. Wrong. I passed my guests in town. It was their friends. They helped themselves to the wine glasses and cheese boards and sat on the porch drinking. They took all my parking spaces to the point my registered guests had to park on the lawn.
By the time I got back, they were gone, dirty glasses in the kitchen. And left all the cars behind. No way to contact them to return and move the cars.
Their friends are all staying at a very high end hotel. Why they can't hang out there, I don't know. They have nice lounges everywhere, wine glasses and ice in the rooms and 100's of parking places!

oh boy, send them south when they leave!!!!
don't send them up here!!!!
oh wait, they've probably already been here
wink_smile.gif

all the goodies and parking is 'ALL FREE ANYWAY,' isn't it? besides, the whole town is reserved for all the same party, right?
yesterday i went out to the adirondack chairs on the lawn and asked three ladies if they were my guests - because folks just plunk themselves under the umbrellas and lounge there. well, one was my guest ... two were her friends. i sometimes don't recognize my own guests!! i guess that's what comes of having one nighters so much of the time.

oh boy, send them south when they leave!!!!
don't send them up here!!!!
oh wait, they've probably already been here
wink_smile.gif

all the goodies and parking is 'ALL FREE ANYWAY,' isn't it? besides, the whole town is reserved for all the same party, right?
yesterday i went out to the adirondack chairs on the lawn and asked three ladies if they were my guests - because folks just plunk themselves under the umbrellas and lounge there. well, one was my guest ... two were her friends. i sometimes don't recognize my own guests!! i guess that's what comes of having one nighters so much of the time..
We have a park bench under the trees in the front yard. It is often taken by folks just wandering thru. It is positioned so they can see the name of my inn while they are relaxing.
regular_smile.gif

On our policy: Only registered overnight guests allowed !
wink_smile.gif
Do you have that posted on your front door? In my case, the visitor said they were meeting their friends here in prep for going somewhere else. I certainly would not have said, 'Fine, stand on the stoop while I go get them for you.' Altho that would have saved cleaning the bathroom a second time! And might have put enough frost on the welcome that they all gathered elsewhere later on.
That they returned multiple times was not something I foresaw. That they brought more friends wasn't something I was planning for either. That the friends would come alone and hang out without the guests was beyond forethought!
BTW- SS- they are going home now, not heading your way!

We state it (no unregistered guests) in our policies and in our confirmation and reiterate it at check in, while they are signing that they agree to our policies.
We have had to ask guests to visit elsewhere, when they've come back with friends and liquor. No, they weren't happy about it, but they also had agreed to our policy when they booked and checked in. If they want to have a party at the inn, that is a separate event, which requires a contract, another set of rules and a licensed bartender to serve their drinks-we will be happy to give them our pricelist for events.
wink_smile.gif

(I realize you are talking about just a few people...)
Remember, you may be held liable for anything that happens on your property while these folks are imbibing at your place and also when they get into a car accident after drinking at your inn. Your insurance may cover your registered guests, but not the guests of your guests. Better to protect yourself. (and we could on for days about liability issues and whether to worry about someone suing you for breathing because you deprived them of oxygen.)

I satyed at a B&B in town once and my daughter came in the AM to meet up with me there.
She gotten there before I had Breakfast, so I asked the Innkeeper if it was ok for my daughter to join me in the Breakfats area. She said that was no problem, even asked if she would like some breakfast. I thoght that was pushing the envelope and we said no, but the innkeeper insisted....what could she do but sit and have breakfast?
I did know the inkeepers, but still asked for permission.
Just because she is my daughter, just because I got the last room available( huge suite, $200.00) and just used the bed....this does not give me reason to expect the B&B to treat my daughter as an "paid" guest.
Like is said, at least I asked the innkeepers....

I satyed at a B&B in town once and my daughter came in the AM to meet up with me there.
She gotten there before I had Breakfast, so I asked the Innkeeper if it was ok for my daughter to join me in the Breakfats area. She said that was no problem, even asked if she would like some breakfast. I thoght that was pushing the envelope and we said no, but the innkeeper insisted....what could she do but sit and have breakfast?
I did know the inkeepers, but still asked for permission.
Just because she is my daughter, just because I got the last room available( huge suite, $200.00) and just used the bed....this does not give me reason to expect the B&B to treat my daughter as an "paid" guest.
Like is said, at least I asked the innkeepers.....
Mooseberry Inn said:
Like is said, at least I asked the innkeepers....
Asking goes a long way, no matter what the situation!!!
=)
Kk.

At times we to have guest's visitors come in to meet up with and socialize here. We do allow this as long as it does not interfere with our other guests quality of visit. By this I mean, that if they are visiting in a common area they may not dominate this area. I have a charge to rent the space for a private party! If they have visitors in their room, fine as long as they are not roudy.
Bree, I have never had an experience like this one, where non-registered guests come in to 'make themselves at home'. Geez, the nerve of some people.
I did however come home to (guest) invaders in my kitchen. They had pulled out cutting boards, mixing bowls etc. to prepare some things for a family reunion. (They brought in all the food) By my return they were in the cleaning process and I am sure they thought they would be finished and out of there by the time I returned. I really didn't need to say a word - my face said it all! They apologized and each left a $100 tip in their rooms when they left. This prompted us to start using our swinging door to the kitchen instead of leaving it open.
I really don't think I would have minded too much as they were not 'cooking' and they were not interferring with my cooking but it was the surprise of it all. The fact that they had not asked and we knew it had been planned!

At times we to have guest's visitors come in to meet up with and socialize here. We do allow this as long as it does not interfere with our other guests quality of visit. By this I mean, that if they are visiting in a common area they may not dominate this area. I have a charge to rent the space for a private party! If they have visitors in their room, fine as long as they are not roudy.
Bree, I have never had an experience like this one, where non-registered guests come in to 'make themselves at home'. Geez, the nerve of some people.
I did however come home to (guest) invaders in my kitchen. They had pulled out cutting boards, mixing bowls etc. to prepare some things for a family reunion. (They brought in all the food) By my return they were in the cleaning process and I am sure they thought they would be finished and out of there by the time I returned. I really didn't need to say a word - my face said it all! They apologized and each left a $100 tip in their rooms when they left. This prompted us to start using our swinging door to the kitchen instead of leaving it open.
I really don't think I would have minded too much as they were not 'cooking' and they were not interferring with my cooking but it was the surprise of it all. The fact that they had not asked and we knew it had been planned!.
Copperhead said:
They apologized and each left a $100 tip in their rooms when they left. This prompted us to start using our swinging door to the kitchen instead of leaving it open.
I really don't think I would have minded too much as they were not 'cooking' and they were not interferring with my cooking but it was the surprise of it all. The fact that they had not asked and we knew it had been planned!
Very nice about the tip! These guests left nothing except the dirty dishes (oh, and some cheese in the fridge which they emailed to tell me I could have). Because I was walking and talking it wasn't until I saw the guests in town that I realized the people I saw on the porch weren't my guests. (I didn't walk past the folks on the porch, just saw them briefly from down the street.)
After I told my walking buddy the story she asked if they at least left a tip. Nada.

Back