From Colorado to Mexico

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmj

Reaction score
Hi! My husband and I are in the process of buying a small, established restaurant and "motel" in Mexico. I found your forum in a guide to running a B/B. I wish I would have logged on 3 years ago!
We have been planning a move/change like this for 3 years. We have spent every summer looking for places that worked for our family, our tastes and our budget. Finally, last summer, we found one with possibilities.
I am the one who has been gun ho on this idea, my husband has needed to be pushed along. It surprises people that my husband, the Mexican National, is less excited than I.
The big reasons we decided to take this path is to be our own bosses, control more of our day, have the potential to expand and earn more (we are both in public education situations- we take what they give), cheaper cost of living, and for me, give my children a better life- immerse in their fathers culture and language. Plus, take a leap of faith and live a real life adventure, take the good and the bad.
We have talked and planned ad naseum about this change. Many things are covered, but I am under no illusion that there will be trials and tribulations. We have tried to minimize as many as possible. The others, just part of the "ride"- easier for me to say than my husband.
And why am I here? To learn from you, and I have already! I hope to take your wisdom and apply it to our own, unique situation. We won't be a b/b, maybe a "guesthouse". Our guests will be there for days or maybe weeks, we will have apartments that have working kitchens and space. And we are yards from the beach- so a place to rest and relax, and discover the history and culture the area affords.
If you have any questions- ask away. I don't want to share the location, as the place isn't ours just yet. Until we have the keys... But in the mean time...I will enjoy my last days until "boots on the ground".

You are a real person, not someone here to sell us all towels! HURRAY! Welcome to the forum. :)

You are a real person, not someone here to sell us all towels! HURRAY! Welcome to the forum. :).
Thank you for the warm welcome. Speaking of towels...heard I should bring a stockpile down with the move as the quality isn't as great as one might find here, or you pay for it there. Suggested Khols or something of that sort. Anyone in Mexico or other similar countries, agree or disagree? Sadly, towels are the last thing on my mind...

Welcome to the forum. There use to be someone on this forum that has a B&B in Mexico. Not sure she still roams this forum but hope so as she would be a good source for info, such as what items are hard to come by in Mexico.
All the best to you in this new venture.

Welcome to the forum! There is such a resource here...sounds like you are on a REAL adventure!

Just had a note from a friend on FB who is also a member of this group. She asked me to return to help if I can. I am the one who has a B&B in Mexico.
I am not however/sadly on or near a beach (yet). Where are you going to land JMJ? I am in Cuernavaca just outside of Mexico City.
If I can help in any way I am here at your service.
We get our towels from Costco. Mexico City has a Bed Bath and Beyond. I suggest anything electronic you bring from up there. Anything electronic or made in China has an extra tax on it.
aqui a sus ordenes :)

Just had a note from a friend on FB who is also a member of this group. She asked me to return to help if I can. I am the one who has a B&B in Mexico.
I am not however/sadly on or near a beach (yet). Where are you going to land JMJ? I am in Cuernavaca just outside of Mexico City.
We get our towels from Costco. Mexico City has a Bed Bath and Beyond. I suggest anything electronic you bring from up there. Anything electronic or made in China has an extra tax on it.
aqui a sus ordenes :).
Just saw the part where you aren't quite sharing your location yet, so skip that question that I asked.

aqui a sus ordenes :).
TY Cathy!
thumbs_up.gif

Thank you! for your kind words. This is a real "adventure", and I hope it all works out. Trying to stick to the positive, knowing that it's not all fun and games, but the journey. Just want to end up somewhat facing right side up! :)
And I found Cathy, thanks for steering me in that direction. And I will put the towel concern to the bottom of the list, good to know.
Have a happy Wednesday.

Back