From "The Breakfast Book" (Rules of table civility)

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

birdwatcher

Reaction score
Got this book from the library called The Breakfast Book by Alfred A. Knopf New York 1987. This was just put into the book:
BREAKFAST TABLE CIVILITY AND DEPORTMENT
  1. Clean up before you come to the breakfast table: wash your face and comb your hair
  2. You don't have to get dressed (I guessif its in the family home, but at a B & B I would guess you should)
  3. Clean fingernails, please
  4. Reading the newspaper at the table is permissable, but a pleasant word or salutation must be spoken to all present
  5. Sit up strait and TRY to be cheerful
  6. Talk to one another politely;talk and listen in turn
  7. Because everyone is defensless at breafast, there should be no contentiousness or crosness
  8. Don't ever mention food dislikes or critizise the food
  9. Don't lick your fingers or stuff your mouth with food
  10. Don't play with your food
  11. Don't talk with your mouth full
  12. Butter your bread one part at a time; don't put your uneaten pieces back in the bread basket/
  13. And don't answer questions in a saucy manner
  14. Remembr, guests always receive thee choicest portions.
M.C.
Thought that it may get a couple laughs....I suppose these rules might have been if you were to run a boarding house or rent rooms...maybe in early 40's?

Everyone is defenseless at breakfast? That IS the funniest thing I have ever heard. "I have a bagel and I am not afraid to use it!"
May I borrow these? Is there an online link to get these to use with the link back?
Reminds me of the Geo Washington Etiq book, I am trying to find it, it is AWESOME!!!
[COLOR= rgb(9, 9, 9)]George Washington, sometime before the age of 16, transcribed Rules of Civility & Decent Behaviour In Company and Conversation. (Original errors in numbering have been corrected; original spelling is unchanged.)[/i][/COLOR]
http://www.history.org/almanack/life/manners/rules2.cfm
[COLOR= rgb(9, 9, 9)]In the Presence of Others Sing not to yourself with a humming Noise, nor Drum with your Fingers or Feet.[/COLOR]
[COLOR= rgb(9, 9, 9)]Sleep not when others Speak, Sit not when others stand, Speak not when you Should hold your Peace, walk not on when others Stop.[/COLOR]
[COLOR= rgb(9, 9, 9)]When in Company, put not your Hands to any Part of the Body, not usualy Discovered.[/COLOR]
[COLOR= rgb(9, 9, 9)]Shift not yourself in the Sight of others nor Gnaw your nails.[/COLOR]
etc etc I LOVE THIS STUFF!

Yes, go ahead and use it-I was thinking the same thing to print it and put in dining room-don't realy know who M. C. would be though, I just got this book to find some old fashioned recipes from the library today-sometimes the good ol fashioned stuff is the best.

Back