Frommers: "Foreign travel slump"

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's amazing how some businesses this affects and how others it doesn't. If you are dependent on foreign travel I can see how this might affect things. On the other hand we are lucky enough to be in an area that does not depend on guests from other countries. We actually have had a record March this year. It could also be that we are getting more business because people don't want to travel out of the country. So if you look at it that way maybe you could advertise staying local so to speak. Might also be a good chance to look at how you advertise and where your customer base is. Might want to start looking at advertising more on the state side. Just a thought. Hope things turn around for those that are hurting for business!.
Actually, we don't depend upon foreign travel that much, has dwindled off over the years as the dollar has strengthened. 'Tis something more elusive going on. Last year was our best year ever by far. Twice as many bookings for the warmer months than this year. Definitely multiple levels of travel "climate" change going on. Uncertainty in the air in the Northeast...
BTW, this isn't just us, our closest BB competitor in town is experiencing the exact same thing. We are virtually even in seasonal reservations.
We're getting a lot of repeat guests and wedding guests booking. Not a lot of 'random' guests.
We've been away and the phone has not rung once in 6 days. We did get 2 booking reservations today.
It's hard to say what's actually causing the problems right now. We did just have a ton of snow, so it's possible guests are holding off booking for April to wait for the sun to come out!
I'm surprised there's a shortage of visa workers as the visa required to do manual work hasn't been as impacted as high level worker visas.

And another updated thread:
http://www.rawstory.com/2017/04/people-dont-want-to-come-to-trumps-america-the-trump-slump-in-travel-is-costing-america-billions/#.WN_TV02RoBc.facebook
Personally, this year's reservations are the worst in 12 years, I literally cannot sleep at night..
Ill be honest with you people I know are worried about being stopped at customs for any and all reasons - therefore are not going because they don't need the hassle - can go anywhere else and not worry about it.
Perfect example is a school teacher on an organised trip with 3 other teachers and about 40 kids was sent back with no explanation - left whole trip in jeopardy as need so many adults per so many kids - would you risk it?
This article today... https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/apr/04/trump-extreme-vetting-visitors-to-us-share-contacts-passwords I find very disconcerting. This is getting to be nonsensical.

And another updated thread:
http://www.rawstory.com/2017/04/people-dont-want-to-come-to-trumps-america-the-trump-slump-in-travel-is-costing-america-billions/#.WN_TV02RoBc.facebook
Personally, this year's reservations are the worst in 12 years, I literally cannot sleep at night..
Ill be honest with you people I know are worried about being stopped at customs for any and all reasons - therefore are not going because they don't need the hassle - can go anywhere else and not worry about it.
Perfect example is a school teacher on an organised trip with 3 other teachers and about 40 kids was sent back with no explanation - left whole trip in jeopardy as need so many adults per so many kids - would you risk it?
This article today... https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/apr/04/trump-extreme-vetting-visitors-to-us-share-contacts-passwords I find very disconcerting. This is getting to be nonsensical.
Even we would hesitate to travel in this atmosphere. This is not business as usual here....very upsetting. We are hoping that we will at least see guests from the metropolitan areas within a day's drive.

As mentioned previously, we are seeing good overalls as a destination but we are getting hammered for the upcoming summer. Some of the resorts are slashing prices by 30-50% over last year. Anytime the Fairmont dips 30% below our nightly, we know its serious. Have a look at Dubai Package Tours, Singapore Tours, Mauritius Honeymoon Packages, Thailand package, Malaysia Tours, Hong Kong Disneyland Packages, Sri Lanka Tour Package, Turkey Package Tours, Europe Tour Package, Bali Honeymoon Tour Packages, South Africa Safari Tour Package, Holy Land Pilgrimage Tour, Luxurious Maldives Tour Package, United States of America Package which are the best.

Back