Front door wide open

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JunieBJones (JBJ)

Reaction score
Front door wide open - I thought, what the? Is the a/c on or what? SIGN on the front door - PLEASE KEEP DOOR CLOSED works really well. DOH!
This is my usual rant - "Bless the Californians" Father, daughter, son in law leave wife (Grandmother) with infant at the table with other guests to run outside.
I told DH I have seen it enough to know why they went outside. At least when they return for their now cold breakfast they will have a hearty appetite.
angry_smile.gif

OK, I get the smoking part, what I don't get is leaving the breakfast table BEFORE breakfast has been served. The door thing is just stupidity at work. I've had guests stand right on the steps outside the door to have their cig, leaving the door open behind them. Nope, sorry, someone (not me) will let you back in when you're done, I close the door so it's shut and doesn't allow any smoke into the dining room.

Well they weren't on the porch standing near the door. Cig smokers pull that stuff all the time. They were nowhere to be found, and if they smoked in the cottage I am going to flip my lid. 2 rooms 4 nights...I need the $. Hopefully it was in the rental car.
They came back adn we brought the main course out and placed it beside the first course. I think the other guests felt the shaft from this family. FRIGGIN' BAY AREA HIPPIES!

Well they weren't on the porch standing near the door. Cig smokers pull that stuff all the time. They were nowhere to be found, and if they smoked in the cottage I am going to flip my lid. 2 rooms 4 nights...I need the $. Hopefully it was in the rental car.
They came back adn we brought the main course out and placed it beside the first course. I think the other guests felt the shaft from this family. FRIGGIN' BAY AREA HIPPIES!.
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
They came back adn we brought the main course out and placed it beside the first course. I think the other guests felt the shaft from this family. FRIGGIN' BAY AREA HIPPIES!
Don't worry about the other guests...they will have a story to tell...'Can you believe the rudeness of these people to get up in the middle of breakfast to go smoke?'

They came back adn we brought the main course out and placed it beside the first course. I think the other guests felt the shaft from this family. FRIGGIN' BAY AREA HIPPIES!.
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Don't worry about the other guests...they will have a story to tell...'Can you believe the rudeness of these people to get up in the middle of breakfast to go smoke?'
Bree said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
POT

JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Bree said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
POT
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Bree said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
POT
Better story still! Stoned hippies at breakfast! However, I do feel for you. That's not the impression I would want. And if I smelled pot, they'd be out the door this morning. I don't need that crap here.

JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Bree said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
POT
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Bree said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
POT
Better story still! Stoned hippies at breakfast! However, I do feel for you. That's not the impression I would want. And if I smelled pot, they'd be out the door this morning. I don't need that crap here.
Bree said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Bree said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
POT
He was just asking about the patio outside the cottage - I have an ashtray out there for smokers and teak furniture, he said he found that area this morning (at breakfast as they only came down at 910a,). It is just behind the cottage and pretty close to the bedroom and kitchen windows of our neighbors, the PREACHER and his wife. UGH

Yikes ... I have questions on this one ... IF they did smoke in their rental car and not outside, that specific smell lingers. Didn't that carry into the house regardless? If so, aside from feeling these jerks were rude, didn't the other guests smell that? And, if you were to show them the door, what exactly would you say to them? Just curious, as this is definitely one for my instruction manual. :)

I have a better one.
A few days ago we were going to town. DH went out the front door. I told him I was going out the kitchen door expecting him to shut the door behind him ( there was something he wanted me to do that was easier to go out the kitchen). When we got back a few hours later, I came in the kitchen as usual and rushed to the front door to let him in (ramp was slippery at kitchen) and found HE had left the front door wide open! I quickly pushed it to look as if I had just opened it - I did not want to listen to the rant about the door being open. Believe it or not, this is a town you can do that in. I hate to think of next month's gas bill though.

Yikes ... I have questions on this one ... IF they did smoke in their rental car and not outside, that specific smell lingers. Didn't that carry into the house regardless? If so, aside from feeling these jerks were rude, didn't the other guests smell that? And, if you were to show them the door, what exactly would you say to them? Just curious, as this is definitely one for my instruction manual. :).
SecondAct said:
Yikes ... I have questions on this one ... IF they did smoke in their rental car and not outside, that specific smell lingers. Didn't that carry into the house regardless? If so, aside from feeling these jerks were rude, didn't the other guests smell that? And, if you were to show them the door, what exactly would you say to them? Just curious, as this is definitely one for my instruction manual. :)
I have had two other ocassions when this has occurred. One was an internet hook-up - we shall call him "naked twister guy" as a review, the other was a mom with grandmom here for a full week so they could be nearby 14 yr old at band camp. She (mom) would get high and lay down on the porch decking in the warm sun and eat and nap east and nap - every day. I figure, and this is my own theory, I would rather have the Grateful Dead easy going stoned guest than a drunken - 'domestic' guest (those we would ask to leave). PEACE MAN
I think they smelled less strong than a tobacco smoker, so as long as it is not in a room. I am not sure what the other guests noticed. I am not going to say anything to them.

Yikes ... I have questions on this one ... IF they did smoke in their rental car and not outside, that specific smell lingers. Didn't that carry into the house regardless? If so, aside from feeling these jerks were rude, didn't the other guests smell that? And, if you were to show them the door, what exactly would you say to them? Just curious, as this is definitely one for my instruction manual. :).
Pot is illegal in most places. To be sure, I would ask specifically if they had noticed the strong smell of pot emanating from their rental car? Perhaps they would like to call the rental company and get a replacement as it can't be good for the baby to be in that car? If they denied it, I'd follow them outside next time. Obviously, if it's not something I can see or smell (pills, etc) there's not much to be done unless they act out. But I really don't need them getting stopped in town and telling the police where they are staying. And I don't need them standing on my front porch, either.
My guess is, tho, that getting in their faces about it would cause one of the following to happen...they'd leave on their own for more hospitable environs or they'd all say it was part of their cancer treatments and did I want to see their pot license?

My brother-in-law installed a hinge pin door closer which seems to work very well. It doesn't close the door completely but the door doesn't remain open to either heat or cool up the outside.

Another option is an actual door closer. I'm surprised not all B&Bs have them.

good point about the door closer. maybe that's something many should invest in.

We have a door closer on the door as well as a combo style locking system. The problem now seems that now guests think the door will automatically lock and do not lock the door behind them - even though it is explained at check in. - Well ther is never a 100% fix...at least the door is not wide open!

Another option is an actual door closer. I'm surprised not all B&Bs have them..
TLE041 said:
I've thought about this. In order for the door to close completely, that closer has to be fairly strong. I'd be concerned the door would push some of the elderly or very young guests right back out the door again and down the stairs. If I had a nice porch, then ok they wouldn't get pushed too far! And struggling with luggage against a door is another problem.

Another option is an actual door closer. I'm surprised not all B&Bs have them..
TLE041 said:
I've thought about this. In order for the door to close completely, that closer has to be fairly strong. I'd be concerned the door would push some of the elderly or very young guests right back out the door again and down the stairs. If I had a nice porch, then ok they wouldn't get pushed too far! And struggling with luggage against a door is another problem.
Bree said:
TLE041 said:
I am such a visual person. I just pictured the little old biddy from Madagascar(movie) with her bags being catapulted out the door and over the deck by the self closing door.

Back