Front Loaders and Smelly Towels

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As I read this conversation, it seems the problem is often wet clothes left in the washer too long before being moved to the dryer. Seems like the solution would be a combo machine that washes the clothes then immediately dries them, all in the same unit.
I found the LG WM3431HS All-In-One Washer and Dryer that does it all. It can work as just a washer in case you want to line-dry something, as just a dryer in case something gets wet and just needs drying, or it can do both.
Any thoughs on this? Considering that it saves some of the cost of buying 2 machines, saves some of the space of 2 machines, and handles the washer-to-dryer switching problem, seems like it would be a great solution.
411f%2B8u0FrL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
These are very common units in Europe. For a residence, they might work okay but the cycle is really long. It would be too long per load for me, unless you had two machines. As it is, I have two dryers to speed up the drying cycle.

As I read this conversation, it seems the problem is often wet clothes left in the washer too long before being moved to the dryer. Seems like the solution would be a combo machine that washes the clothes then immediately dries them, all in the same unit.
I found the LG WM3431HS All-In-One Washer and Dryer that does it all. It can work as just a washer in case you want to line-dry something, as just a dryer in case something gets wet and just needs drying, or it can do both.
Any thoughs on this? Considering that it saves some of the cost of buying 2 machines, saves some of the space of 2 machines, and handles the washer-to-dryer switching problem, seems like it would be a great solution.
arkansawyer said:
Any thoughs on this?
Yes .... those machines are awful. Those machines are very common on boats where space comes at a premium. The worst of those is the non-ducted model. Ducted or non-ducted, those machines are awful dryers. It takes hours to dry heavy stuff like jeans or towels. I have friends whom I warned not to go that route, but they did anyway because they gained a whole half a closet in exchange, and each of them regrets the decision. The most extreme experience one of my friends had was that it took just under five hours to dry a load of blue jeans.
Unfortunately, all but the best of the yacht manufacturers are putting these in their vessels. The high quality yacht manufacturers still go to the separate, stacked unit.

These are very common units in Europe. For a residence, they might work okay but the cycle is really long. It would be too long per load for me, unless you had two machines. As it is, I have two dryers to speed up the drying cycle.
muirford said:
...the cycle is really long...unless you had two machines...
Good point. One benefit of having separate machines would be that you can start load #2 in the washer while load #1 is in the dryer. For a commercial operation, two of the combo units would be better.

I have never left clothes in the washer ever. So this statement is incorrect, 100%. I can say without an fraction of doubt, this has never happened here.
My laundry is betwn family room, bedroom and kitchen, it is ALWAYS attended, always within ear shot. I know it is hard to believe, but I have innkeeper ADD and this is a truth, I cannot bear leaving linens in the washer, when they are done they are PROMPTLY put into the dryer. If I am leaving, I won't start a load. It is a pet peeve of mine...let's go back to my childhood...tee hee hee I have a parent who NEVER removed the wet clothes from the washer, ever, so it is one of those quirks I have. I also buy way way way too much TP as a lazy parent ALWAYS let it run out. Hey I yam what I yam.
confused_smile.gif
Joey Bloggs said:
So this statement is incorrect, 100%.
That may be a bit strong, to say "incorrect, 100%". That's like saying that leaving wet things in the washer too long NEVER causes an odor problem.
In my post is said "the problem is OFTEN wet clothes left..."
I didn't say always. Maybe I should have used "sometimes". Surely you can agree that, in some cases, for some people, there would be a problem with them leaving wet towels in the washer too long. Several above said that was their problem.
But I guess I'm straining at gnats here. I've written way more than this is worth!

muirford said:
Good point. One benefit of having separate machines would be that you can start load #2 in the washer while load #1 is in the dryer. For a commercial operation, two of the combo units would be better.
arkansawyer said:
muirford said:
Which is what I do with my standard washer/dryer combos now.
regular_smile.gif

I have never left clothes in the washer ever. So this statement is incorrect, 100%. I can say without an fraction of doubt, this has never happened here.
My laundry is betwn family room, bedroom and kitchen, it is ALWAYS attended, always within ear shot. I know it is hard to believe, but I have innkeeper ADD and this is a truth, I cannot bear leaving linens in the washer, when they are done they are PROMPTLY put into the dryer. If I am leaving, I won't start a load. It is a pet peeve of mine...let's go back to my childhood...tee hee hee I have a parent who NEVER removed the wet clothes from the washer, ever, so it is one of those quirks I have. I also buy way way way too much TP as a lazy parent ALWAYS let it run out. Hey I yam what I yam.
confused_smile.gif
Joey Bloggs said:
That may be a bit strong, to say "incorrect, 100%". That's like saying that leaving wet things in the washer too long NEVER causes an odor problem.
I didn't say always. Maybe I should have used "sometimes". Surely you can agree that, in some cases, for some people, there would be a problem with them leaving wet towels in the washer too long. Several above said that was their problem.
But I guess I'm straining at gnats here. I've written way more than this is worth!
arkansawyer said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Goodbye

The problem with stinky towels and facecloths is not with the machine. If it was then everything would stink, right???? It is with the body oils, etc. Towels don't smell bad when they are dry but they stink when wet. Same thing will happen to a shower curtain. This is why I use white. This is why hotels use white. Bleach, etc. can be used. I'm sure the sani-cycle solves the problem and possibly the steam machines. I have the nose of a cochroach and I hate, hate hate going to BB's with coloured towels because nine times out of 10 they are going to smell pissy as soon as they get wet (and sometimes even before that). It's equally important to keep that shower curtain clean if you have one..
ginocat said:
The problem with stinky towels and facecloths is not with the machine. If it was then everything would stink, right???? It is with the body oils, etc. Towels don't smell bad when they are dry but they stink when wet. Same thing will happen to a shower curtain. This is why I use white. This is why hotels use white. Bleach, etc. can be used. I'm sure the sani-cycle solves the problem and possibly the steam machines. I have the nose of a cochroach and I hate, hate hate going to BB's with coloured towels because nine times out of 10 they are going to smell pissy as soon as they get wet (and sometimes even before that). It's equally important to keep that shower curtain clean if you have one.
While bleach does take care of odors and stains, it is a sewage treatment system's worst enemy. I will use bleach to clean my shower curtains and our family's socks but try to limit it to just once a week to keep my system in balance.
I have used colored towels for most of our 11 years and do not find my towels taking on odors at all even before having my sanitizing front loader - and I do have a very sensitive nose myself. We have gotten numerous compliments about our towels as well. We have an eco sign in the bathroom which does say hang towels if you will use them another day or place on floor for fresh but I always change out wet washcloths and overly wet towels each day just because we are so humid here they would never dry.
You are lucky then if you've never had a problem with your coloured towels. If you use your sani-cycle sometimes this probably solves the problem. I know people who have septic systems and always use bleach so I don't think it's as big of a problem as some people think. We are not using tons of bleach per load - it doesn't take much. Apparently you can't kill bacteria in clothing without bleach or 'boiling' and I do not want to have bacteria transmission of any kind on sheets and towels as we all know what they are used for.

The problem with stinky towels and facecloths is not with the machine. If it was then everything would stink, right???? It is with the body oils, etc. Towels don't smell bad when they are dry but they stink when wet. Same thing will happen to a shower curtain. This is why I use white. This is why hotels use white. Bleach, etc. can be used. I'm sure the sani-cycle solves the problem and possibly the steam machines. I have the nose of a cochroach and I hate, hate hate going to BB's with coloured towels because nine times out of 10 they are going to smell pissy as soon as they get wet (and sometimes even before that). It's equally important to keep that shower curtain clean if you have one..
ginocat said:
The problem with stinky towels and facecloths is not with the machine. If it was then everything would stink, right???? It is with the body oils, etc. Towels don't smell bad when they are dry but they stink when wet. Same thing will happen to a shower curtain. This is why I use white. This is why hotels use white. Bleach, etc. can be used. I'm sure the sani-cycle solves the problem and possibly the steam machines. I have the nose of a cochroach and I hate, hate hate going to BB's with coloured towels because nine times out of 10 they are going to smell pissy as soon as they get wet (and sometimes even before that). It's equally important to keep that shower curtain clean if you have one.
While bleach does take care of odors and stains, it is a sewage treatment system's worst enemy. I will use bleach to clean my shower curtains and our family's socks but try to limit it to just once a week to keep my system in balance.
I have used colored towels for most of our 11 years and do not find my towels taking on odors at all even before having my sanitizing front loader - and I do have a very sensitive nose myself. We have gotten numerous compliments about our towels as well. We have an eco sign in the bathroom which does say hang towels if you will use them another day or place on floor for fresh but I always change out wet washcloths and overly wet towels each day just because we are so humid here they would never dry.
You are lucky then if you've never had a problem with your coloured towels. If you use your sani-cycle sometimes this probably solves the problem. I know people who have septic systems and always use bleach so I don't think it's as big of a problem as some people think. We are not using tons of bleach per load - it doesn't take much. Apparently you can't kill bacteria in clothing without bleach or 'boiling' and I do not want to have bacteria transmission of any kind on sheets and towels as we all know what they are used for.
Borax kills just about anything without the toxicity (or septic damage) of chlorine. Kills insects (including the nano-insects) that guests might bring with them, too.

arkansawyer said:
Any thoughs on this?
Yes .... those machines are awful. Those machines are very common on boats where space comes at a premium. The worst of those is the non-ducted model. Ducted or non-ducted, those machines are awful dryers. It takes hours to dry heavy stuff like jeans or towels. I have friends whom I warned not to go that route, but they did anyway because they gained a whole half a closet in exchange, and each of them regrets the decision. The most extreme experience one of my friends had was that it took just under five hours to dry a load of blue jeans.
Unfortunately, all but the best of the yacht manufacturers are putting these in their vessels. The high quality yacht manufacturers still go to the separate, stacked unit.
Actually, the newer versions (and the LG models in particular) work really well. They've come a long way from the first generation of all-in-one.
I've used the newer LG all-in-one and there's good and bad.
The good. No venting needed. Use a 110 outlet. They take up the space of one machine but perform 2 functions. You don't have to remember to flip loads. Load the towels, come back and they're dry.
The bad. Even the largest models accommodate a somewhat smaller load. They are great for towels; sheets not so good. They tend to get tangled.
So if possible, if you're using these, have at least one large washer and separate dryer for sheets, blankets, etc.
But if all you've got room for (like on a boat) is one machine, the newer LG models do actually work pretty well.

I am not an innkeeper, but have the answer to this problem. I have owned a Bosch front loader and matching dryer for 7 years. Have always had issues with mold on gasket, live in Florida, washer/dryer are in garage. Have always had issues with clothes not smelling clean and towels smelling sour. A rep at our local appliance store just told me...TOO MUCH SOAP! I thought he was crazy, but have tried it and the problem is solved. He suggested using powder instead of liquid, but haven't finished my large container of liquid yet. Apparently the soap builds up in the washer and on the clothes and can never fully be rinsed out with the low amount of water used in these machines. First run a load with cleaner or bleach or vinegar to rid machine of soap buildup, then start using half (or less) the amount of soap you normally use! I use only to the first line at bottom of plastic cup that comes with liquid soap. Seems like not enough, but it works. Good luck!

Might as well bring it to the service center. If troubleshooting looks a little complicated might as well refer it to their proper service center. And you might end up getting a warranty or replacement.

Some all in ones take a v e r y long time to complete the wash and dry. On some models the dryer does not vent outside. I would check reviews carefully before considering this option.

When doing laundry with older machines in a laundromat on the trip I was amazed at how quickly the washers and dryers did their thing. We really put up with a lot using our new fangled machines.

When doing laundry with older machines in a laundromat on the trip I was amazed at how quickly the washers and dryers did their thing. We really put up with a lot using our new fangled machines..
When I moved into this house we hadn't bought a washer/dryer and I had to use a laudromat instead. I remember being so unhappy at the result of the top loaders there that all I wanted was a place to install my own new front loader and dryer. We eventually bought a small one (which is the one downstairs) and I remember doing my first wash and being so ecstatic that everything didn't look greyish.
I haven't tried the new top loaders... but I don't mind the time it takes when they come out clean. :)

To avoid bad smells it is best to remove the towels promptly from the washer when they are done and I have found that adding a cup of white vinegar to the rinse cycle is very helpful in preventing musty odors.

Back