Front Loaders and Smelly Towels

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Suzie Q

Reaction score
Does anyone have a front loading wash machine? Do you have problems with smelly towels? So far, in 3 years, two guests have mentioned this. Who knows how many more just kept quiet. Have YOU solved this problem? If so, how?
Thanks,
C

Not my guest towels but I wash them as soon as I can get them and don't ever leave them in the washer or they will smell. This is the reason that I don't want people to hang up towels to be green. They start to grow bacteria very quickly. I am green in ways people don't even see so I don't mind washing the towels as quickly as I can.
For a while my own towels started to smell and I found that my DH was leaving them on the floor and they would smell. After he quit doing that they no longer smell. He hated that smell and then believed me now no problem.

I think there is a thread here somewhere about smelly front loaders. You have to clean out all the gunk from around the seal...or you will get smells.
Here's a link to one article

Like Sandynn said... don't let them sit... which is hard when you're busy. But if you can keep them flipped they definitely smell better.
=)
Kk.

Okay now I read the other responses and will add, I am also a maniac about guest towels - I wash them immediately, which is another reason I am tied like a ball and chain here. I do not ever let them sit damp or wet, they are the first things to be washed, I do not ever bring sheets down with wet towels in them. As soon as the towels get damp again you can smell that and you need to use them for dog towels and get new ones.

Leave the door open when not in use. Make sure the machine is level. Inside the gasket, especially at the bottom edge, make sure it is dry and not collecting old wash water (you have to pull the edge of the gasket up to see underneath it). Run a bleach wash every couple of days.
I have not had any problems with that with my new front loader, but old one was horrible. I had to use OxyClean in every load.

My towels have never sat for even a half hour in our front loader, I am a maniac about it, and they still stink, they are rotten machines, I paid the big bucks for a new set and gave away my front loaders a couple weeks ago and got a reg top loader.
I recommend never ever buying these front loaders, trust me, I ran vinegar through it, washed ALL loads on COLD to stop mold and mildew growth. That is all I can recommend vs ditching the things. I know of which I speak, I used it for years with tons of laundry, the thing has been a full warranty and has been rebuilt practically, the parts cost more than the machine originally. LEAVING THE DOOR OPEN does not matter when it is used so often, you have to wipe it out after every load.
I did notice when I bought the new machines that the HE Front loaders were only one or two models now, the reg top loaders can be HE and much more efficient. My stuff comes out nearly dry before putting it into the dryer.)

My towels have never sat for even a half hour in our front loader, I am a maniac about it, and they still stink, they are rotten machines, I paid the big bucks for a new set and gave away my front loaders a couple weeks ago and got a reg top loader.
I recommend never ever buying these front loaders, trust me, I ran vinegar through it, washed ALL loads on COLD to stop mold and mildew growth. That is all I can recommend vs ditching the things. I know of which I speak, I used it for years with tons of laundry, the thing has been a full warranty and has been rebuilt practically, the parts cost more than the machine originally. LEAVING THE DOOR OPEN does not matter when it is used so often, you have to wipe it out after every load.
I did notice when I bought the new machines that the HE Front loaders were only one or two models now, the reg top loaders can be HE and much more efficient. My stuff comes out nearly dry before putting it into the dryer.).
My next one will be top loader as well. I don't like the fact that they almost make you buy those stands for front loaders...because they are so low to the ground you almost have to have them :-( What brand top loader did you get?

The beauty of what I bought was the dryer has a curved opening and up toward the top, so moving stuff from the washer to the dryer is great and you don't hit your knuckles on the edge. It actually opens up toward the top of the front and is a larger opening than all the other dryers there.
Whirlpool Cabrio.
385370.jpg

I did notice when I bought the new machines that the HE Front loaders were only one or two models now, the reg top loaders can be HE and much more efficient. My stuff comes out nearly dry before putting it into the dryer.).
I told y'all that I loved my Fisher Paykel top loader washer. The online complaints I've seen revolved around problems getting parts (since it's made in New Zealand) but knock wood, we haven't had any issues. Heck, it took us 6 weeks to get the parts for our Kenmore Elite range when the lightning strike to the tree behing our house took out the electronics! So, I'm not sure if there really is any difference. :-(
I used the unscented Oxyclean in all the guest laundry loads anyhoo because all my linens were no bleach.

The beauty of what I bought was the dryer has a curved opening and up toward the top, so moving stuff from the washer to the dryer is great and you don't hit your knuckles on the edge. It actually opens up toward the top of the front and is a larger opening than all the other dryers there.
Whirlpool Cabrio.
385370.jpg
Nice. I've had my Whirlpool top loader and gas dryer for 14 years now! Still going strong after doing guest laundry for 2 years for 3 rooms (4 beds). The Fisher Paykel did the laundry for the other 3 rooms. The only problems I've had with the machines is the part-time housekeeper breaking plastic parts from slamming things around. Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!

Whirlpool Cabrio.
385370.jpg
tHANKS..this is actually the one I have had my eye on as well:)

I already have something made in New Zealand. Might need an upgrade on that soon as its starting to fall apart.
wink_smile.gif

I had smelly towels once and found the solution! First, the obvious - don't leave them sitting in the washer when the cycle is done. I don't leave stuff in the dryer either due to the high humidity we have here that comes back through the ducting vent and creates condensation inside an idle dryer.
But more importantly - if you have a SANITATION setting on your washer, use it. Yes, even for colored towels - it doesn't hurt them in terms of color bleeding or shrinkage. Apparently, bacteria gets left in towels that a normal washing can't remove. The Sanitation setting gets so hot that it kills everything. I noticed a difference instantly when trying to solve my clean, smelly towels. This is the only solution I've found.
I use the Sanitation setting for almost everything, except delicates. The downside is that that cycle take a long time to run - well over an hour, if not up to two hours, but worth it to me.

Are you using bleach on your towels? If not then all towels will stick after awhile. They may not smell when dry but as soon as they are used they will stink. I have complained and commented on this often on this forum. This is why I only use white. It is impossible to get the bacteria and oils from our skin out of towels without bleach or unless they are literally boiled.

I had smelly towels once and found the solution! First, the obvious - don't leave them sitting in the washer when the cycle is done. I don't leave stuff in the dryer either due to the high humidity we have here that comes back through the ducting vent and creates condensation inside an idle dryer.
But more importantly - if you have a SANITATION setting on your washer, use it. Yes, even for colored towels - it doesn't hurt them in terms of color bleeding or shrinkage. Apparently, bacteria gets left in towels that a normal washing can't remove. The Sanitation setting gets so hot that it kills everything. I noticed a difference instantly when trying to solve my clean, smelly towels. This is the only solution I've found.
I use the Sanitation setting for almost everything, except delicates. The downside is that that cycle take a long time to run - well over an hour, if not up to two hours, but worth it to me..
My sanitize cycle is over 2 hours. Bleach is faster.

I already have something made in New Zealand. Might need an upgrade on that soon as its starting to fall apart.
wink_smile.gif
Joey Bloggs said:
wink_smile.gif
Might be easier getting a completely new model instead of parts for the old one. Then again, sometimes it's hard to part with the old model...

Add a 1/4 cup of borax to the wash. I use 20-mule-team which is available just about anywhere.

I use the Sanitation setting for almost everything, except delicates. The downside is that that cycle take a long time to run - well over an hour, if not up to two hours, but worth it to me..
Morticia said:
True, but bleach really does a number on the colored items. :) And, for some reason, the manufacturer's user manual states specifically that bleach is not to be used in that machine. I think it's ridiculous that one would make a washing machine that was not bleach friendly. There must be a part in the water pump that bleach will destroy. I was suprised to learn that - it's a new Bosch front loading machine, but be that as it may...that's how I discovered the sanitation cycle. I don't mind the time it takes because I'm doing other things and we only have three guests rooms onboard, so it works for me, but I can see how the time would be a huge inconvenience for others.

I use the sanitary cycle if towels are really bad and it really does work in getting them very clean and smelling fresh. The manual with the front loader suggests that at least once a month run the special self cleaning cycle on the machine using bleach. You will have too look in your manual to find the correct buttons to push to get this special cycle. It runs and cleans the washer while there is nothing in it. I have used the machine for 4 years and have never had a problem with smelly towels but I have stayed at bed and breakfasts that have had smelly dry towels hanging in the bathroom when I check in. I am not sure what they are doing to them.

Back