Frozen Pipe Report

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoodScout

Reaction score
So with the arctic freeze waning, any frozen pipe stories to report?

We just had one radiator pipe in a room freeze (our staff had unfortunately turned the heat down when it was empty for a couple of days) and we had to bring in a space heater for our 1-night guests last night. Otherwise, no bursts or disasters. Anyone else?

We had ours over Christmas. I had all faucets on drip, compartmentalized the house (shut doors), and jacked up the gas heater in the kitchen (my waterlines are under the kitchen floor which WAS a back porch). Nothing froze and fortunately I had no guests to contend with. There are times being in Podunk is a blessing. What was scary was at the very beginning of the single digit cold, we lost power for about 8 hours so I could not run the washer as I usually do to pull water through. the power came back before it got into the -temps.

We are closed Until May. New England weather is the main reason we close.
we opened all the closet doors and bathroom doors. Closed all the blinds and curtains. Set the thermostats to 70, but they couldn’t keep up. The temps were showing at 60-ish. Luckily, the deep freeze only lasted about 24 hours (north of Boston.). Car refused to start, but the heat system did its best and made it through.

Thank goodness, we are no longer open in the winter. Got down to -14 with a windchill of -40 in Southern Maine. This is a 5000 sqft summer "cottage" built in 1898 with no insulation! The heating was retrofitted so only one thermostat in the downstairs dining room. On Tuesday we opened up all the room doors which we normally keep closed to save on oil. We then set the thermostat to hold at 58 (normally is 56 during day, 52 at night). So the house was at a constant temperature by Friday night, that night we opened the attic eaves doors as we have a sprinkler system throughout the entire house. No problems whatsoever maintaining 58 or issues with freezing anywhere. We were toasty in our 3rd floor living quarters. The ocean sounded like a freight engine for 48 hours, had to put in ear plugs to sleep. Fun times.

Back