frozen potatoes

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't use frozen but I buy small red potatoes, wash (they typically don't take more than a quick rinse while rubbing fingers over them), poke with a fork and then microwave a few minutes. Then I pan fry in a large pan with onions and peppers on a very hot flame. They cook fast and get crispy and you can do them the night before and then reheat. You can also do the same thing with the microwave cooking then chop and put on a cookie sheet in a hot oven after pouring your onions and peppers on top and stirring it all together.

Here's the best hint you can have about how to make potatoes that are crunchier.
First, use frying potatoes, like Russet.
Grate them. If you are keeping them overnight, don't drain them, add some lemon juice and coat them.
Drain the "water" into a cup. Put the potatoes in a tea towel and squeeze out all the "water" as well. Don't discard the water.
Put the potatoes into a large bowl and microwave them, about 2 to 3 minutes until rather warm. You can mix in between and put them back until they are hot enough that it's hard to hold them.
The "water" will separate into a watery liquid and a white liquid. You can poor off the watery liquid. Put the white liquid back into the potatoes. This is actually the potato starch, which is what makes them crispy.
If you want to skip all the work, squeeze the potatoes dry, add powdered potato starch instead of the natural potato starch. Fry :)
I use the frozen only to make GF pie crust. The real stuff is used to make potato pancakes. Though, this is one of the few places where I will tell you that the freeze dried actually works well, too. But everything but a big bag of potatoes is a lot more expensive. I can buy 10 lbs for $2 sometimes.

I don't use frozen but I buy small red potatoes, wash (they typically don't take more than a quick rinse while rubbing fingers over them), poke with a fork and then microwave a few minutes. Then I pan fry in a large pan with onions and peppers on a very hot flame. They cook fast and get crispy and you can do them the night before and then reheat. You can also do the same thing with the microwave cooking then chop and put on a cookie sheet in a hot oven after pouring your onions and peppers on top and stirring it all together..
I use frozen also. Tried using them in a large muffin tin as a crust of Minnie Quiches I let them thaw a bit first . I put some in a measuring cup and then add them to the muffin pan and pushed them tightly to form a cup. then put them in the oven to crisp up a bit. then add the quiche mixture. Popped them back in the oven to cook.
I will try them again but would of like the crust to be firmer. Perhaps had I cooked the potato longer in the muffin tin it may have worked out better? Any one tried this before? Maybe you could tell me if I am on the right track.Thank You

I don't use frozen but I buy small red potatoes, wash (they typically don't take more than a quick rinse while rubbing fingers over them), poke with a fork and then microwave a few minutes. Then I pan fry in a large pan with onions and peppers on a very hot flame. They cook fast and get crispy and you can do them the night before and then reheat. You can also do the same thing with the microwave cooking then chop and put on a cookie sheet in a hot oven after pouring your onions and peppers on top and stirring it all together..
I use frozen also. Tried using them in a large muffin tin as a crust of Minnie Quiches I let them thaw a bit first . I put some in a measuring cup and then add them to the muffin pan and pushed them tightly to form a cup. then put them in the oven to crisp up a bit. then add the quiche mixture. Popped them back in the oven to cook.
I will try them again but would of like the crust to be firmer. Perhaps had I cooked the potato longer in the muffin tin it may have worked out better? Any one tried this before? Maybe you could tell me if I am on the right track.Thank You
Flower said:
Flower, I tried that recipe too and had the same issue. The edges got too crisp, the bottom not quite done. Haven't had time to perfect it. Maybe during our slow period.

Like MtnKeeper, I would use the small red potatoes (like 3 bites). Various things added - fresh rosemary was always really popular. And they're not the usual potato breakfast side found at most breakfast places.
I would buy and use the Simply Potatoes (in the refrigerated section) as a short cut sometimes and jazz them up for fancier hash browns.
Guests love a tasty breakfast that they don't have to cook! They'll like whatever you do..

Lately we have been making potato cakes from left over (or purposely made) mashed potatoes. They are a big hit and can be frozen in patties and then thawed to pan fry any time you want a home-made side or serve as a main topped with a poached egg. I freeze the patties before they are cooked...just dollop onto a sheet with parchment, press to make a flat patty and freeze until hard. Store them in a plastic freezer bag, thawing in refrigerator overnight to fry up the next morning.
4 cups left over mashed potatoes (I make mine with cream cheese and sour cream but buttermilk is also good)
1/2 cup white cheddar cheese, shredded
2-3 scallions, white and light green parts, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/3 cup flour
1 extra large egg, slightly beaten
Combine ingredients.
Heat large heavy frying pan and 2 Tb. oil until oil.
Dollop about 1/3 cup of potato mixture into hot oil and press slightly to make a 3" patty. Repeat to cook 6-8 patties at a time. Cook undisturbed about 4-5 minutes, until bottom is golden brown. Flip and cook the other side. Drain on paper towel and keep warm in warm oven.
salt to taste

Plain potato cakes here, mashed the night before with butter, cream and a bit of salt. Served in the morning with minced chives or green onions scattered over the top and a dollop of sour cream.

Lately we have been making potato cakes from left over (or purposely made) mashed potatoes. They are a big hit and can be frozen in patties and then thawed to pan fry any time you want a home-made side or serve as a main topped with a poached egg. I freeze the patties before they are cooked...just dollop onto a sheet with parchment, press to make a flat patty and freeze until hard. Store them in a plastic freezer bag, thawing in refrigerator overnight to fry up the next morning.
4 cups left over mashed potatoes (I make mine with cream cheese and sour cream but buttermilk is also good)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/3 cup flour
Combine ingredients.
Dollop about 1/3 cup of potato mixture into hot oil and press slightly to make a 3" patty. Repeat to cook 6-8 patties at a time. Cook undisturbed about 4-5 minutes, until bottom is golden brown. Flip and cook the other side. Drain on paper towel and keep warm in warm oven.
salt to taste.
I often purposely make more mashed than I need for a dinner in order to have the cakes in the morning, but I haven't tried freezing them. We usually freeze using the food saver bags, but that would totally flatten the cakes. Will you share your freezing method?

2 cloves garlic, minced
1/3 cup flour
Combine ingredients.
salt to taste.
I often purposely make more mashed than I need for a dinner in order to have the cakes in the morning, but I haven't tried freezing them. We usually freeze using the food saver bags, but that would totally flatten the cakes. Will you share your freezing method?
I just line a sheet pan with parchment, make the slightly flattened patties on the paper, cover the entire tray with foil and stick it in the freezer. Once the patties are hard they could easily be place in your food saver bags because they are already shaped and hard. You can top them with a small dollop of sour cream and chopped chives as a garnish. Relish!

I use frozen hashbrowns in a Hashbrown Casserole. It's really good. It's quick to stir up so you can do it in the morning or the night before. (I personally have just never had good luck cooking them plain.)
I recently got a recipe that was basically the same, but used tater tots... and it was BETTER! Very yummy!

I use frozen hashbrowns in a Hashbrown Casserole. It's really good. It's quick to stir up so you can do it in the morning or the night before. (I personally have just never had good luck cooking them plain.)
I recently got a recipe that was basically the same, but used tater tots... and it was BETTER! Very yummy!.
Do you have aa waffle iron? Tater tots + waffle iron = yum.

Back