frozen potatoes

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBeachHouse

Reaction score
Anyone use frozen hash browns or home fries?
Please don't be insulted. I know you are all excellent cooks!
I'm looking at using frozen as a time saver. If you have used frozen in the past, do you thaw overnight in a colander? Do you thaw in the bag? Do you just throw frozen into a pan? Do you bake rather than fry?
Any tips?
We are generally working on the stove with a few items and want to use the oven for potatoes.
Thanks.

I actually hate peeling and washing potatoes. Not sure why. I have no problem cutting up peppers and onions and other veggies for prep. But I consider making potato salad a chore, while I have no issues making cucumber, or green, or pasta salad loaded with veggies.
Anyway, if you have tips for using frozen, or uncut fresh, I'd be interested.
Has anyone ever done a baked egg inside a potato?

We used frozen all the time. No problems. Sometimes made from scratch but no one ever complained about them.

I actually hate peeling and washing potatoes. Not sure why. I have no problem cutting up peppers and onions and other veggies for prep. But I consider making potato salad a chore, while I have no issues making cucumber, or green, or pasta salad loaded with veggies.
Has anyone ever done a baked egg inside a potato?.
TheBeachHouse said:
I actually hate peeling and washing potatoes.
Microwave them a few minutes first, then cool them in cold water and the peel usually separates and is easy to pull off. No knife needed.

I think picking a brand of high quality is key. I have had frozen that were not bad, and some that were downright unappealing. Try a few and see which you like.

We used frozen all the time. No problems. Sometimes made from scratch but no one ever complained about them..
EmptyNest said:
We used frozen all the time. No problems. Sometimes made from scratch but no one ever complained about them.
Do you thaw and drain them? Or straight out of the freezer? Thanks.

We're all for saving time and mess!
Cook the night before, partially, then reheat in the morning in a fry pan with sautéed onions, olive oil and butter, salt and pepper.

We don't do then from scratch either but I don't peel potatoes for my own meals. Wash, cut, cook.

We used frozen all the time. No problems. Sometimes made from scratch but no one ever complained about them..
EmptyNest said:
TheBeachHouse said:
EmptyNest said:
Cook frozen. You're not deep frying, right?

EmptyNest said:
TheBeachHouse said:
EmptyNest said:
Morticia said:
TheBeachHouse said:
EmptyNest said:
Goodness, no!

Frozen potato patties , cavan dish farms I'd bake them and then chop into pieces not too small, sometimes I'd give them a stir around in a stove top pan with a little sauteed onion or just butter to crisp up a bit more before plating. People liked them. I don't each much potato
When I cook potatoes, I boil them in the skin. Mostly leave the skin on because that's where the good stuff is. But plunge in ice water and the skins peel right off with your hands.

We don't do then from scratch either but I don't peel potatoes for my own meals. Wash, cut, cook.
The trend is leave the peel on (such as Wendy's decision a couple years ago). The peel is where a lot of the minerals, etc. is.
Of course, scrubbing potatoes is not much more fun than peeling...

Frozen potato patties , cavan dish farms I'd bake them and then chop into pieces not too small, sometimes I'd give them a stir around in a stove top pan with a little sauteed onion or just butter to crisp up a bit more before plating. People liked them. I don't each much potato
When I cook potatoes, I boil them in the skin. Mostly leave the skin on because that's where the good stuff is. But plunge in ice water and the skins peel right off with your hands..
ah-ha! good idea to use the patties and disguise them as hash browns!!

When I cook potatoes, I boil them in the skin. Mostly leave the skin on because that's where the good stuff is. But plunge in ice water and the skins peel right off with your hands..
TheBeachHouse said:
Hang around with us, we're full of shortcuts!
I tried to get a recipe today for the best shortbread cookies ever but the cook has had his email privileges revoked for a week. Terrible when your not-yet-teen grandson is a better baker!

TheBeachHouse said:
I tried to get a recipe today for the best shortbread cookies ever but the cook has had his email privileges revoked for a week. Terrible when your not-yet-teen grandson is a better baker!
Morticia said:
TheBeachHouse said:
LOL! How did his punishment effect your workday? :)

I use frozen too. Not embarrassed at all about that.
One thing I was shocked to find on one brand - "contains gluten"
So if you are making them for a GF guest make sure your brand's ingredients are: 100% potatoes

EmptyNest said:
Right from the freezer...I think that is what package directions call for. They are so thin and cook so quickly I wouldn't thaw them.

TheBeachHouse said:
Morticia said:
TheBeachHouse said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Morticia said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Got the recipe from his mother. Good to go!

Back