Fruit course - what's your specialty? Simple or extravagant?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBeachHouse

Reaction score
What is your fruit course? I stayed at a place once that gave us a mini-smoothy the first morning (in an espresso cup) and the next day, a fruit tart that was more like a pie. Very sweet.
We do a serve-yourself bowl of melon with sometimes strawberries or blueberries on the side. We serve it next to a collection of yogurt cups and small cups of walnuts, coconut and raisins and call it a 'fruit and yogurt bar.'
I was wondering if I should alternate with smoothies or yogurt parfaits or another fruit starter.
Ideas? What works for you? Do your guests request anything special?

I serve in parfait glasses, narrower at the bottom than at the top. Keep the covered pitcher right off the blender in the fridge after blending. I use organic apple juice as my base and put in chopped up fruit mostly it's strawberries, blueberries and bananas. Go easy on the juice ... it depends on how much fruit you have. I never add ice. Looks so cute with a mint leaf (but I never have them!) Might need to pulse again if it's been sitting in fridge a while. Then I finish it off myself if any left. It started when I had fruit go soft. So I went to the guests seated with their coffee and offered the smoothie.

I like the idea of the fruit and yogurt bar. I was thinking that it might also be good with sweetened sour cream.

I serve in parfait glasses, narrower at the bottom than at the top. Keep the covered pitcher right off the blender in the fridge after blending. I use organic apple juice as my base and put in chopped up fruit mostly it's strawberries, blueberries and bananas. Go easy on the juice ... it depends on how much fruit you have. I never add ice. Looks so cute with a mint leaf (but I never have them!) Might need to pulse again if it's been sitting in fridge a while. Then I finish it off myself if any left. It started when I had fruit go soft. So I went to the guests seated with their coffee and offered the smoothie..
seashanty said:
Looks so cute with a mint leaf (but I never have them!)
Mint plant in big pot outside kitchen door, works a treat. Don't put mint in the ground, they're thugs and will take over.
I use parsley as a garnish on cooked breakfasts, when I run out I use mint as it's so vigorous, only down side with mint is leaves go black quickly from heat of plate/food.

Try the Green Grape Salad recipe from All Recipe. I've been making that lately everyone loves it, leftovers vanish!

Fruit course:
  • Watermelon salad
  • Yogurt + berry parfait
  • Panna Cotta
  • Blueberry bread pudding
  • Lemon cake + ice cream
  • Chocolate pudding
  • Apple turnovers
I've never done smoothies because of the noise. I freeze fruit that is not going to be used and make sauce with it for topping the ice cream. Our serving sizes are small. It's just meant to give Gomez time to cook the entree.

Fruit course:
  • Watermelon salad
  • Yogurt + berry parfait
  • Panna Cotta
  • Lemon cake + ice cream
  • Chocolate pudding
  • Apple turnovers
I've never done smoothies because of the noise. I freeze fruit that is not going to be used and make sauce with it for topping the ice cream. Our serving sizes are small. It's just meant to give Gomez time to cook the entree..
Chocolate pudding? Different. Sounds really good. Do you save that for Valentine's Day?
Do you put cheese in the watermelon salad?

Sometimes I play with the fruit course easier with just 3 rooms. The watermelon breakfast pizza would work for a buffet though. Cut watermelon rounds and then cut them in wedges. Top with pieces of other fruits (mango, peaches, cherries, kiwi) and blueberries, then mince coconut to sprinkle over it as the "cheese".
eBrekfastPizza-gillumhouse.JPG

This year, since we were reducing our schedule, I needed some fruit ideas that would last for the several weeks without spoiling. This banana yogurt not only used my extra bananas and extra Greek yogurt, it stayed in the freezer for over a month! It was great as a topping for our fresh berry fruit cup on hot days, on its own topped with fruit, nuts and granola, and as the base for a smoothie.
Banana and Strawberry Frozen Yogurt
4-6 servings

4 large ripe bananas, sliced and frozen
¾ cup plain Greek yogurt
½ cup honey
1 Tbs lemon juice
½ tsp cinnamon

Toasted almond slices
Sliced fresh strawberries

Place frozen bananas, yogurt, honey, lemon juice and cinnamon in food processor until smooth and creamy. About 1 minute
Pour yogurt mixture into a 9 inch square pan, freeze until firm at least 8 hours. Divide among chilled bowls, garnish with almonds and strawberries

This time of year, we're serving local melon and blueberries with a cold mint tea. (Instead of a mint simple syrup.) Lots of compliments on how refreshing the fruit tastes. Peach smoothies are made with greek yogurt and a splash of orange juice. Once the mornings get cooler, we bake peaches and blueberries with orange juice and serve warm. Yum!

Fruit course:
  • Watermelon salad
  • Yogurt + berry parfait
  • Panna Cotta
  • Lemon cake + ice cream
  • Chocolate pudding
  • Apple turnovers
I've never done smoothies because of the noise. I freeze fruit that is not going to be used and make sauce with it for topping the ice cream. Our serving sizes are small. It's just meant to give Gomez time to cook the entree..
Chocolate pudding? Different. Sounds really good. Do you save that for Valentine's Day?
TheBeachHouse said:
Pudding for kids, Valentine's day, and when I want pudding!
Feta cheese in the watermelon.

I feel boring, we serve a fruit platter every morning to serve all of the guests. Usually cantelope, pineapple, raspberries, blackberries, blueberries, grapes, banana, and add seasonal fruits as they come into season like peaches, apples, pears, plums and watermelon. I hate most fruit but my husband loves it. This way I figure guests can choose what they like. I do bake everyday though.❤️

I feel boring, we serve a fruit platter every morning to serve all of the guests. Usually cantelope, pineapple, raspberries, blackberries, blueberries, grapes, banana, and add seasonal fruits as they come into season like peaches, apples, pears, plums and watermelon. I hate most fruit but my husband loves it. This way I figure guests can choose what they like. I do bake everyday though.❤️.
That's basically what we do but ours is even more simple. Mostly melon and blueberries. Sometimes strawberries.
How do you keep cut bananas from turning brown? I've tried soaking them in lemon juice and water, but they still don't look great.

I feel boring, we serve a fruit platter every morning to serve all of the guests. Usually cantelope, pineapple, raspberries, blackberries, blueberries, grapes, banana, and add seasonal fruits as they come into season like peaches, apples, pears, plums and watermelon. I hate most fruit but my husband loves it. This way I figure guests can choose what they like. I do bake everyday though.❤️.
That's basically what we do but ours is even more simple. Mostly melon and blueberries. Sometimes strawberries.
How do you keep cut bananas from turning brown? I've tried soaking them in lemon juice and water, but they still don't look great.
I cut a banana in 4-5 sections leaving the skin on I ususally have pineapple and I rub the open ends in pineapple juice. I tyr to put the open ends down. It sems to work. I think because the whole fruit is not exposed.

Similar. 5" fruit bowl starter. Every day. Every breakfast. Fruit changes with the seasons, but always 3 or more different kinds of fruit in the bowl.

If I use bananas they go in the bottom of the bowl. I squeeze orange juice over the top, cover with cling wrap and refrigerate until serving. the cling wrap helps a bit with the oxidation. I don't cut the fruit any earlier than 2 hours before breakfast.

I make a granola cup. My simple granola recipe and mold it into a muffin pan. Bake at 300 for 20-25 minutes until golden. Let cool for 20 and then gently twist them out. I store them in an airtight container so that they don't go hard ( if they do, just micro for a few seconds) Then I fill with yogurt ( my fave is Greek coconut) and then arrange fresh fruit pieces around it, sprinkle with a little coconut or chopped nuts. I try to use different colours of fruit. It looks lovely and it's great if you only have limited quantities of certain fruits but you want to use it up amongst a crowd.

Back