Frustrating moment and a nice moment

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was going to walk around main street and hand out our mugs to whoever was in the stores etc and say hey we exist. Maybe I should skip it.

I was going to walk around main street and hand out our mugs to whoever was in the stores etc and say hey we exist. Maybe I should skip it..
Will the winery allow you to put rack cards in the tasting room? Ours do for our tours/B&B.
Are they planning to do any wine tasting dinners? Find out so that you can market a package!
RIki

We are there with our brochures. They have a like a dozen and we are one of many. We just talked about that this weekend. Maybe we can work a deal to move us next to the cash register or something. We are the quill and quilt so mayvbe promotional quills? So far they have been great and are excited we are back as obviously we send to them.

I was going to walk around main street and hand out our mugs to whoever was in the stores etc and say hey we exist. Maybe I should skip it..
toddburme said:
I was going to walk around main street and hand out our mugs to whoever was in the stores etc and say hey we exist. Maybe I should skip it.
Don't skip it out of hand. Remember that tourists go into those shops and tourists sometimes decide to stay where they land and if someone can send them to you, voila!
Also in hand you should have some sort of brochure or postcard or biz card that can be left on the counter.

We are there with our brochures. They have a like a dozen and we are one of many. We just talked about that this weekend. Maybe we can work a deal to move us next to the cash register or something. We are the quill and quilt so mayvbe promotional quills? So far they have been great and are excited we are back as obviously we send to them..
How far are you from the winery? Does the winery have a snack bar/cafe? If not, feel free to consider what I do with my winery.
I have the winery as the anchor to ALL my routings - with or without it being the package. The package includes a packed lunch that they eat at the winery - during the good weather wherever they want to sit down, picnic table, on the rocks on the grounds, etc and in cooler weather they sit in the rocking chairs in front of the fireplace in the tasting room. The winery has my rack cards and brochures in their rack and this package costs the winery nothing ( and I do not have to pay them anything either) but works for both of us. My winery is about 30 miles from me.

We are there with our brochures. They have a like a dozen and we are one of many. We just talked about that this weekend. Maybe we can work a deal to move us next to the cash register or something. We are the quill and quilt so mayvbe promotional quills? So far they have been great and are excited we are back as obviously we send to them..
toddburme said:
We are there with our brochures. They have a like a dozen and we are one of many. We just talked about that this weekend. Maybe we can work a deal to move us next to the cash register or something. We are the quill and quilt so mayvbe promotional quills? So far they have been great and are excited we are back as obviously we send to them.
Good job! Are you able to have a license to serve their wine? Our wineries give us a discount so that we can offer a glass of their wine at check in which helps sell their wine.
RIki

Even in MN in March we managed to walk there. It is literally two blocks away. No snack bar but we have several restaurants right in front of it. And they are busy! It is march and we are dead except for last minute people (thank god).
Moving the meet and great to tomorrow but definitely doing it. We need the locals to know we exist.

toddburme said:
Don't skip it out of hand. Remember that tourists go into those shops and tourists sometimes decide to stay where they land and if someone can send them to you, voila!
Also in hand you should have some sort of brochure or postcard or biz card that can be left on the counter.
As a former shop keeper, I know that we were beseiged by people wanting to use our counter space for hand-outs. Most ended up in the trash. Counter space is the most valuable space in the shop for add-on sales. As merchants, we put together a one page, three fold flyer with a small map of the town, the business locations on it and a list of the businesses with address and phone #'s who paid for and distributed the flyer. Cheap, and because so many had their business in it, it went over really well. People from out of town loved them.

toddburme said:
As a former shop keeper, I know that we were beseiged by people wanting to use our counter space for hand-outs. Most ended up in the trash. Counter space is the most valuable space in the shop for add-on sales. As merchants, we put together a one page, three fold flyer with a small map of the town, the business locations on it and a list of the businesses with address and phone #'s who paid for and distributed the flyer. Cheap, and because so many had their business in it, it went over really well. People from out of town loved them.
Because it's touristy here a lot of stores have a rack for brochures. It's nice. Just pop them in there. Our local econ dev made up a series of restaurant, lodging and attractions brochures that were well-received.

on being noticed by the locals ...
when you have down time (scattered as it is) go to one store or business and don't just give rack cards, give a few certificates for a free wine tour or discounted tour for an owner or manager ... or some other reason for them to remember you kindly. (i won't call it a bribe) i used to bake up a basket of muffins or cookies or candies and bring them in with me and tell the store ... 'these are for you.' all arranged with rack cards and the name of my place prominently on the basket. ' i make them at my b&b up the road. stop in sometime.' i was wearing my inn apron. just to get them to remember me. and i would go back in a few weeks (or send my best chambermaid with a nice smile who was also a LOCAL girl) to give them more muffins and check on our rack cards. she was instructed to chat a bit ... talk up the place. now you know i didn't really want any old who stopping in but it was so they would see me. you do what works for you.
will anyone partner with you? not many wanted to partner with me, but a few did.
often i would hear ... 'oh we send anyone who asks to the other inn because the woman who runs it has a daughter who works here' or whatever ... so i would say 'that's wonderful' if other inn is full, please give me a call.' pout pout
marketing by foot can be exhausting and hard and frustrating. but sometimes it is the only way ... and it has to be repeated as new staff are hired.
some good things came of it. number one was guests sent my way. i was given free passes to events and day cruises by some businesses i visited ... although i never had the chance to take one and often gave them away to my guests. but that made me look awesome to the guest, so ....

Even in MN in March we managed to walk there. It is literally two blocks away. No snack bar but we have several restaurants right in front of it. And they are busy! It is march and we are dead except for last minute people (thank god).
Moving the meet and great to tomorrow but definitely doing it. We need the locals to know we exist..
toddburme said:
Moving the meet and great to tomorrow but definitely doing it. We need the locals to know we exist.
Don't forget to bait the hook. Offer their referrals a discount. They will think they have some inside info for your place and tell more people about it.
http://innteractiveinns.blogspot.com/

toddburme said:
Good job! Are you able to have a license to serve their wine? Our wineries give us a discount so that we can offer a glass of their wine at check in which helps sell their wine.
RIki
Good approach. We have a local wine list - within 40 miles - and offer local wines in the evening, even though it costs us about $2 per serving more. Some of the wineries display our rack cards and we have gotten guests that way. Local business helping local business works when each is already involved in serving/attracting people from outside the area.

Thanks as always great info. I have more time then most of you do to my setup so I feel I have to do it. I agree on not giving out too much stuff. We tried an open house and got snowed out. We will try that again. Some of the locals are helping with the wikitravel page, and goofing it up, so that is cool i fixed a few links or moved a few businesses to the right category and had to call or email and say hi, I just did this. So I feel this is a good time to work on that momentum. The shops I can say i am adding them to the page etc and the restaurants I did.
We all know we won't get much traffic from Wikitravel but it is a free lin k. And it hopefully got them thinking we are on their side in this.

when you have down time (scattered as it is) go to one store or business and don't just give rack cards, give a few certificates for a free wine tour or discounted tour for an owner or manager ... or some other reason for them to remember you kindly. (i won't call it a bribe) i used to bake up a basket of muffins or cookies or candies and bring them in with me and tell the store ... 'these are for you.' all arranged with rack cards and the name of my place prominently on the basket. ' i make them at my b&b up the road. stop in sometime.' i was wearing my inn apron. just to get them to remember me. and i would go back in a few weeks (or send my best chambermaid with a nice smile who was also a LOCAL girl) to give them more muffins and check on our rack cards. she was instructed to chat a bit ... talk up the place. now you know i didn't really want any old who stopping in but it was so they would see me. you do what works for you.
will anyone partner with you? not many wanted to partner with me, but a few did.
often i would hear ... 'oh we send anyone who asks to the other inn because the woman who runs it has a daughter who works here' or whatever ... so i would say 'that's wonderful' if other inn is full, please give me a call.' pout pout
marketing by foot can be exhausting and hard and frustrating. but sometimes it is the only way ... and it has to be repeated as new staff are hired.
some good things came of it. number one was guests sent my way. i was given free passes to events and day cruises by some businesses i visited ... although i never had the chance to take one and often gave them away to my guests. but that made me look awesome to the guest, so .....
As an ex-shop keeper, I agree. Get to know them. Another thing, do business there. Buy something regularly. Doesn't have to be huge--just become a face they know. Cookies or treats never hurt! Like Pavlov, they'll see your face and drool!
regular_smile.gif

some good things came of it. number one was guests sent my way. i was given free passes to events and day cruises by some businesses i visited ... although i never had the chance to take one and often gave them away to my guests. but that made me look awesome to the guest, so .....
As an ex-shop keeper, I agree. Get to know them. Another thing, do business there. Buy something regularly. Doesn't have to be huge--just become a face they know. Cookies or treats never hurt! Like Pavlov, they'll see your face and drool!
regular_smile.gif

white pine said:
Cookies or treats never hurt! Like Pavlov, they'll see your face and drool!
regular_smile.gif
FOOD works every time!!! In my last life I worked in an office where we hired contractors and purchased many supplies. There was always something next to the coffee maker with a buz card.

I might have to buy food. There was the apple pie incident of 2007 that I never got over. I think the key to local is give as well as get. If they see our customers are also there customers. Our interest in growing their business is tied to growing ours. Easier said then done of course.

Thanks as always great info. I have more time then most of you do to my setup so I feel I have to do it. I agree on not giving out too much stuff. We tried an open house and got snowed out. We will try that again. Some of the locals are helping with the wikitravel page, and goofing it up, so that is cool i fixed a few links or moved a few businesses to the right category and had to call or email and say hi, I just did this. So I feel this is a good time to work on that momentum. The shops I can say i am adding them to the page etc and the restaurants I did.
We all know we won't get much traffic from Wikitravel but it is a free lin k. And it hopefully got them thinking we are on their side in this..
Todd, if you have Publisher or a program like that - usually is part of Office - there are templates for a lot of things. I am using the coupon template to create coupons for discounts or freebies from local businesses that I am going to give all my guests. I will also make another version to go into our Welcome Packets for new residents that will include coupons from things like the local plumber. I have gone to each business to ask what they want their coupon to say.. I am printing them 3-up and will cut them apart to staple into a coupon book. That may be a way to get the local businesses to know you are there.

Thanks for the great idea!!!.
toddburme said:
Thanks for the great idea!!!
and then there is this...Sherwin Williams just called as they do at least once a month, as does Lowes once a month reminding us they are there for us. Pick up the phone and call them and tell them you are there. (I am not for this but apparently these companies are)

We all know we won't get much traffic from Wikitravel but it is a free lin k. And it hopefully got them thinking we are on their side in this..
Todd, if you have Publisher or a program like that - usually is part of Office - there are templates for a lot of things. I am using the coupon template to create coupons for discounts or freebies from local businesses that I am going to give all my guests. I will also make another version to go into our Welcome Packets for new residents that will include coupons from things like the local plumber. I have gone to each business to ask what they want their coupon to say.. I am printing them 3-up and will cut them apart to staple into a coupon book. That may be a way to get the local businesses to know you are there.
Gillum, how does the program creat the coupons? Will they have a special # series to prevent discourage copying? I know these are not going to be commonly handed out, execpt you by, but wondering how else this program can be used.
I make my own GC using powerpoint and individual numbers. To make sure they are not copied, I use an embosser over my signature. Wondering if this has a easier method of security.

Back