Frustrating moment and a nice moment

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toddburme

Reaction score
Went to the winery yesterday and the owner grabbed my partner and said these four ladies were asking about the B&B. We go over and they come to town every year and had no idea we were open. So there was three room nights in a really slow month for us just waiting to find out about us. They were staying at the local motel.
The good news is the winery shared we were now open etc and had given them a brochure. Next year. :)

thumbs_up.gif
See, that town-wide connection thing is already working!

We've been open for 15 years and there are still people right in our small town who don't know about us! We've tried advertising in our local paper, holding open houses, holding events here, and contacting all the businesses. Some people just live in a cave. OTOH, we don't have a sign...

jb ... i am speechless.
did the guest see that note?! i would've burned it ...

OMG. I would have tossed that note had I seen it before the guests arrived. Of all the colossal nerve. That is just beyond the pale. Actually, I think I would have written my own note: Dear ____, We are so lucky the XXX hotel messed up on the reservations and we were able to get these fabulous accommodations for you instead! Please enjoy yourself and we'll be sure we set you up here next time!
I cannot imagine how you feel seeing that.

I guess the author was so liberated she just figured she'd fly off and the door would close of it's own accord.
And whoever wrote the note was obviously toadying.

Dang! It is gone. Sounds as if a certain letter writer needs some edumacating! BIG TIME!!!

Wow! Joey that is crazy. We are nicer and that is why we charge more! Doesn't seem like it takes a genius to figure that out.

Aaargghh! read the note. irritated all over again. Joey, sorry someone would do that. In all kindness lets hope they were just not thinking.

Dang! It is gone. Sounds as if a certain letter writer needs some edumacating! BIG TIME!!!.
gillumhouse said:
Dang! It is gone. Sounds as if a certain letter writer needs some edumacating! BIG TIME!!!
Copy the link instead of clicking it and it will work.
Thanks - that worked. Of course her room is not what she would usually have - IT IS BETTER!!!!!

I'm sorry you had to go through that! I just don't understand some people. We give everything we have (and then some) and then we get slapped in the face. Those ungrateful people would never be able to do what we do. All this kind of crap wears you down.
I wish there was something I could say that would make you feel better.

Whenever we have dealt with speakers at the local "college" here it's been the exact same story...they are very very used to being catered to and are generally a giant pain in the butt. That note was trying to cover their own behinds, it had NOTHING to do with your place so don't you take it personally (I know, impossible) but remember it was written before even seeing your place. I'm sorry that particular guest didn't appreciate what you have to offer, it is definitely their loss.

Whenever we have dealt with speakers at the local "college" here it's been the exact same story...they are very very used to being catered to and are generally a giant pain in the butt. That note was trying to cover their own behinds, it had NOTHING to do with your place so don't you take it personally (I know, impossible) but remember it was written before even seeing your place. I'm sorry that particular guest didn't appreciate what you have to offer, it is definitely their loss..
It's a crapshoot here. We've had 2 speakers stay at the same time for the same college event and one of them brought extra people (we were told 1 person was coming and this one showed up with spouse and kid). One had an en suite room and the other didn't. The one with the en suite (ie- the 'better' room) left it a complete mess and left early but never told us. We waited until 11 AM to check the room and it looked like the person was coming back there was so much in the room! But, no suitcase.
The other person who stayed left us a signed copy of her book and told the college it was a joy to stay here.
The college called us to thank us after the one writer gave us such a good 'review' (ya gotta love when a writer likes you and writes a review!) and told me, as an aside, that the room-trasher was not going to be invited to speak again. Apparently the attitude carried over into everything the person said and did. That college dept is used to dealing with 'personalities' so the organizer is not cowed or wowed by them.
I've tried talking with other depts at the school for when they have events but I was pretty much brushed off. It seems other depts have been sucked into that 'high price, high end' maelstrom so they book the most expensive rooms they can find to make the big impression. Oh well.

mind you we had a play write stay not long ago and she was lovely. We are on the theatre digs list and do a discount for them so I knew she was a theatre person so after she arrived had a look at the theatre program (ie whats on) and realised she was the author of the play they were showing! wouldn't have known otherwise and so tidy you nearly wouldn't have know she stayed. just shows you. Mind I always think if you are important you don't need to trumpet about it cos everyone already knows.

OH.
MY.
GOD.
How is it that there are so many awfully behaved and insensitive/stupid people in the world?
I bet it never even occurred to the note-writer that their words might hurt your feelings - what the hell is wrong wth people???
So totally impossible not to be angry/frustrated/hurt by this.
And putting the note on the flowers so they looked like they came from them is just cheek beyond belief.
So sorry you were treated this way JB.
Very good news that you had some lovely people to balance the scales - but isn't it always true that it's the hideous people who stick in your memory for longer than the good ones?

I agree that I think the person that booked the room for the guest was just covering their behind with the note since they obviously had something to do with the mix-up with the hotel and thought that the speaker was used to & expected the chain hotel. THAT local person (as many of us have said about some of our locals) is clueless about what your lovely place has to offer in all aspects and how much better the stay could be with you.
If the guest didn't see the difference, they're not a guest that you want. Like you said, we get more from so many of our other guests.
I like what you said about some guests are just paying guests....we had a few of those, too.
You are great innkeepers and have a wonderful B&B!!!

I find now in my 8th year of innkeeping that there are degrees of ignorance. I apologize for hijacking this thread, the worms were crawling out of the can when I read it! :)
Three years ago we have a local "put up" her two brothers who were here for thie mother's funeral. One was a retired naval admiral who lived on Coronado San Diego (my old stomping ground! So we had some nice conversation) and another from another state.
When the local delivered them I realized she was the head of the retail merchants association here in town. - You know the whole SHOP LOCAL push (unless it is a B&B)
She said, as she stood in my foyer "I don't know why they wanted to stay in -this old place - I offered them the comfort inn" to which the younger brother in his late 50's said "Because it is lovely, because it is quiet, because it is comforting and what we need right now."
I wrote that off to her being an old bat, and still do. These two brothers were wonderful guests and appreciated everything. I will always remember her comments, and theirs. So we do what we do.
LOCALS ARE NOT MY TARGET FOR MARKETING. I know we go around and around on this topic, but for ME HERE they certainly are not, ever. They only want receptions, parties, dinners and EVERYTHING FOR CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP! MOST are disrespectful.

Back