Funniest or strangest request you have had?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
What is the strangest, or funniest request you have had from a paying guest?
My Example: The lady who came into the kitchen in her bathrobe and requested we go to her car to get her makeup, she didn't want to wake up her husband.

Wait, stranger than that- the guest who requested we absolutely not touch the bed at all. When we went to clean the room every hard, flat surface was covered with bits of tissue where they had tried to 'sanitize' everything. There was a sign on the bed as well: DO NOT TOUCH!!!!
We also were asked to wash a guest's car.
Dog sit. 'King will just follow you around, it's no big deal.'
Babysit.
Keep a guest's keys to the summer house in case the alarm went off and the police had to enter the house.

Guests who brought all of their own food and supplies because they only eat certain foods. They set it all up after breakfast and made themselves at home.

One guest asked us to ask another guest if they would change rooms with them.
Another guest asked us to call a very upscale restaurant to ask if he could bring his own bottle of wine as he didn't think their list was up to par. They said no.
Guests who were here and slept during the day and recorded a CD at night at a local venue and wanted me to cook for them in the middle of the night. They also brought some of their own food (kimchee) and cooked it in their room. Stunk up the whole house for weeks!

Mr Romance - wanted a different "surprise" each of the 4 nights booked. Candles one night (I bought them and all were in glass and in a basket done up with cellophane), huge strawberries and champagne one night, 4 doz red carnations the third day, and candlelight dinner for 2 the last night. And he paid the bill with a big smile on his face.

Mr Romance - wanted a different "surprise" each of the 4 nights booked. Candles one night (I bought them and all were in glass and in a basket done up with cellophane), huge strawberries and champagne one night, 4 doz red carnations the third day, and candlelight dinner for 2 the last night. And he paid the bill with a big smile on his face..
gillumhouse said:
Mr Romance - wanted a different "surprise" each of the 4 nights booked. Candles one night (I bought them and all were in glass and in a basket done up with cellophane), huge strawberries and champagne one night, 4 doz red carnations the third day, and candlelight dinner for 2 the last night. And he paid the bill with a big smile on his face.
Had a man phone to make a booking who'd stayed with us before. After he had completed the booking he said "I'd really appreciate it if you didn't recognise me when we arrive, I split up with my old girlfriend and I'm bringing my new partner".

One guest asked for a hammer. Turned out the latch on his suitcase had been damaged by the airline and he couldn't get it open.
One woman asked for the large plant in the corner of her room to be removed.

wow - what a bunch of wackos!!
wink_smile.gif

Numerous requests for bike storage, A view, food heating, check in's at 2am,
Had a lady who was in a single then moved to a double and asked if her friend could have the old room? and don't worry about changing the sheets - belugh! (I did mind! )

Had a lady who was in a single then moved to a double and asked if her friend could have the old room? and don't worry about changing the sheets - belugh! (I did mind! ).
Had a lady who was in a single then moved to a double and asked if her friend could have the old room? and don't worry about changing the sheets - belugh! (I did mind! )
Oh yeah check in at 2am but only pay for that day, not the night prior. Uh? How does that work?

Mr Romance - wanted a different "surprise" each of the 4 nights booked. Candles one night (I bought them and all were in glass and in a basket done up with cellophane), huge strawberries and champagne one night, 4 doz red carnations the third day, and candlelight dinner for 2 the last night. And he paid the bill with a big smile on his face..
gillumhouse said:
Had a man phone to make a booking who'd stayed with us before. After he had completed the booking he said "I'd really appreciate it if you didn't recognise me when we arrive, I split up with my old girlfriend and I'm bringing my new partner".
Highlands John said:
gillumhouse said:
We have a chap who stays with us twice a year and always has a different girl. But the odd part it, we know his taste, as she is always a little older than he is, long straight hair and always brunette. Dh argues it is the same girl, as he always just refers to "her" as "my girlfriend" but it is NEVER the same girl. But he always chooses the same room.
Oh and how do I know it is never the same? He always sees our daughters and introduces the "Girlfriend" to the innkeepers, as his nieces. He says that he is always here and has watched them grow up, and they are like nieces to him. (This is the fact DH can't argue, and gives in and admits it is a new sheila).

Oh, I forgot rotation diet lady. Yes, she wanted me to feed her breakfast according to her rotation diet, and make her lunch (and maybe dinner) as well. She offered to pay for the food... (and my time?)
There was the lady who told me she wanted a omelet with kale each day. (I get my vegetables from a farmer, based on what is ripe that week, not based on what guests want to eat.)

Well my strangest would have paid had I allowed it -
Man calls and wants to know if he could sun bath in the nude!
This one I had to think about, but said no - they wanted me to cook breakfast after midnight while they filmed it for a new TV show (had not aired). Think it was called 'After Midnight'. Really would have liked the free promotion, but was afraid the potential guests would all want meals over night... On 1 season, 2002 food network

Guest who wanted to know if I cooked his special-order oatmeal on a gas or an electric stove.

hmmmm ... have had weird guests and guests who did weird things .. had to think a while.
there was a guest who assumed i would cook him an Irish breakfast because i have red hair. my place had nothing to do with any Irish heritage or anything remotely Irish, plus i'm a mutt, little Irish, little of this, little of that.
anyway ... he asked if i could please make him that breakfast including black pudding or blood sausage. no, never have made anything like that. he said 'please?' NO

hmmmm ... have had weird guests and guests who did weird things .. had to think a while.
there was a guest who assumed i would cook him an Irish breakfast because i have red hair. my place had nothing to do with any Irish heritage or anything remotely Irish, plus i'm a mutt, little Irish, little of this, little of that.
anyway ... he asked if i could please make him that breakfast including black pudding or blood sausage. no, never have made anything like that. he said 'please?' NO.
seashanty said:
there was a guest who assumed i would cook him an Irish breakfast because i have red hair ... he asked if i could please make him that breakfast including black pudding or blood sausage. no, never have made anything like that. he said 'please?' NO
Bizarre!
But I'll have to say, an Irish breakfast is THE BEST!

There have been so many funny things that people do that it's hard to remember them all. But this one just happened. Phone rings, number from FL. Women on the other end starts with a host of questions about the "tick problem" in the north east. Wants to know all about the safety of walking around town but she really wants to know about walking around town in Nantucket. We are not on Nantucket and I let her know that locally she needs to be prudent but that if she stays on the paths and checks herself after walking in a natural setting that she should not have a problem. If she decides to go to Nantucket she should contact her innkeeper there to find her answer.
Then she unloads about her friend's mother, her health, her birthday coming up and the fact that she really doesn't know if she will ever get up this way.
At this point I clearly got the picture and ended the conversation but Geesh, what the heck does she think I am, the tourist bureau?

There have been so many funny things that people do that it's hard to remember them all. But this one just happened. Phone rings, number from FL. Women on the other end starts with a host of questions about the "tick problem" in the north east. Wants to know all about the safety of walking around town but she really wants to know about walking around town in Nantucket. We are not on Nantucket and I let her know that locally she needs to be prudent but that if she stays on the paths and checks herself after walking in a natural setting that she should not have a problem. If she decides to go to Nantucket she should contact her innkeeper there to find her answer.
Then she unloads about her friend's mother, her health, her birthday coming up and the fact that she really doesn't know if she will ever get up this way.
At this point I clearly got the picture and ended the conversation but Geesh, what the heck does she think I am, the tourist bureau?.
Don't you need a new long distance best friend? People are strange.

Back