Funny Answer to Special Dietary Requirements

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JunieBJones (JBJ)

Reaction score
If more of my bookings were over the phone I could be on here with funny stuff all the time.
After I asked them, this couple DID have some special dietary requirements. For the husband "No Alcohol." I had to laugh, and said I would be careful not to slip him a mickey.
Sorry, but I never knew that was a dietary requirement/restriction. I mean unless I am cooking with it I suppose, but like we typically say on here the alcohol burns off. Dang I was planning on making a fruit cake in Nov too!
wink_smile.gif
Maybe she thought we offered sherry in the afternoons? We don't. They will be assured the iced tea will never be spiked.

Extracts of any kind? Maybe the person is a recovering alcoholic and even the 'idea' of alcohol in something may be disasterous for recovery.

Extracts of any kind? Maybe the person is a recovering alcoholic and even the 'idea' of alcohol in something may be disasterous for recovery..
My neighbour's granddaughter is alergic to alcohol. They found out when she had a piece of rum cake or some such. I can't remember how exactly she reacts, but it makes her quite ill.

maybe it's an automatic response?
do extracts and flavorings have alcohol in them? i don't really know.
people often tell me shellfish and i smile inside because i dont' serve it. yet some of you serve fancy quiches and things that DO have such goodies inside.

I have friends in recovery that feel that they have an allergy to alcohol. They feel that ingesting it, even tho' it may have cooked off in a dish still could trigger a craving/obsession for alcohol, particularly for someone new to recovery. Not many breakfast recipes call for alcohol, but their alert to you was their insurance that if it is served, to let them know so they can decline to eat/drink what is served. I'm trying to think what could have alcohol in it... bananas foster, bread pudding with bourbon sauce/rum sauce

I have friends in recovery that feel that they have an allergy to alcohol. They feel that ingesting it, even tho' it may have cooked off in a dish still could trigger a craving/obsession for alcohol, particularly for someone new to recovery. Not many breakfast recipes call for alcohol, but their alert to you was their insurance that if it is served, to let them know so they can decline to eat/drink what is served. I'm trying to think what could have alcohol in it... bananas foster, bread pudding with bourbon sauce/rum sauce.
Cranberry Triple Sec Muffins!

I have a bottle of vanilla extract that is 35% alcohol - that's pretty high content... small amount that gets baked, probably ok, but I wouldn't use it if I just added to a dish uncooked/unbaked and I would still let a guest know that as well.

I have friends in recovery that feel that they have an allergy to alcohol. They feel that ingesting it, even tho' it may have cooked off in a dish still could trigger a craving/obsession for alcohol, particularly for someone new to recovery. Not many breakfast recipes call for alcohol, but their alert to you was their insurance that if it is served, to let them know so they can decline to eat/drink what is served. I'm trying to think what could have alcohol in it... bananas foster, bread pudding with bourbon sauce/rum sauce.
Cranberry Triple Sec Muffins!
Banana-Crepes in Pecan Rum Sauce!
Adabweeks

I'd want to know that... my Berry Cream has a healthy shot of Kahlua (OK, the recipe says 1 T, but who measures these things?), and I put it on almost all my fruit. Plus my Koko Kahlua muffins...
=)
Kk.

I'd want to know that... my Berry Cream has a healthy shot of Kahlua (OK, the recipe says 1 T, but who measures these things?), and I put it on almost all my fruit. Plus my Koko Kahlua muffins...
=)
Kk..
had a guest book a room tonite who mentioned allergy to penicillin .......
alrighty then, no penicillin in the muffins.
wink_smile.gif

i know it was just an automatic 'i'm allergic to ........'

=)
Kk..
had a guest book a room tonite who mentioned allergy to penicillin .......
alrighty then, no penicillin in the muffins.
wink_smile.gif

i know it was just an automatic 'i'm allergic to ........'
No penicillin = no moldy breads? :)

Well since hubby's surgery and pancreatitis. drs. warn..NO ALCOHOL..or else...so we both are very careful about this now. He freaked because I bought some Vodka Tomato Sauce. I mean it was like the last ingredient on the label..but we used it and then both waited. No problems but will never do that again.

I guess vanilla extract would be on the list then.
It is like caffeine. Decaf still contains caffeine, so if someone is truly allergic it will affect them.

It is like caffeine. Decaf still contains caffeine, so if someone is truly allergic it will affect them..
So my chiro tells me yesterday..Let's get you off all sugar and sugar substitutes!!!
GIVE ME A BREAK!!!!
I will give it a shot for the next 2 weeks, I am ok with not using the subs...but already this morning my cereal has sugar in it....I don't know if I will be able to do this or not.

It is like caffeine. Decaf still contains caffeine, so if someone is truly allergic it will affect them..
So my chiro tells me yesterday..Let's get you off all sugar and sugar substitutes!!!
GIVE ME A BREAK!!!!
I will give it a shot for the next 2 weeks, I am ok with not using the subs...but already this morning my cereal has sugar in it....I don't know if I will be able to do this or not.
catlady said:
GIVE ME A BREAK!!!!
Good luck finding any prepared foods that do not have sugar. Let us know how growing your own oats for oatmeal works out...
wink_smile.gif

GIVE ME A BREAK!!!!
catlady said:
GIVE ME A BREAK!!!!
Good luck finding any prepared foods that do not have sugar. Let us know how growing your own oats for oatmeal works out...
wink_smile.gif

Yeah...won't be happening here. I will try my best..but I am going to ask him...what he eats!

I have a friend who has an allergy to alcohol. She will immediately flush, heart races, etc. It's rare but it happens. I also have a repeat guest who is an alcoholic and absolutely wants no alcohol. Period!! I used to use it upon occasion but I have stopped because we just never know.

Back