Funny questions

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
We all get those calls where we pause and shake our heads. I had one this morning asking about the last room we have open this weekend (2 night min for a huge wine festival) and mentioned that if it would help us they could arrive Saturday morning instead of Friday night.
Huh?
Go ahead and share yours, you know you wanna!

We had one that expressed concern about hearing people in the room next to them because of a review (the review was a daughter whose father had booked the whole wing. We asked him if he would like the soundproofing board removed and connecting door unlocked since they were family and he said yes). He stated that they wanted a quiet getaway.
I told him I could not assure him that whoever booked the room next door would not be loud and suggested some B&Bs in the area that had outside private cottages.
Oh no no no no they want to stay with us, no problem.
So, why the question???? Did he think in the high season (or any time) we would not book the other room to ensure his privacy??? Heck, I only have TWO rooms...
RIki

Guest: Can I share my room with someone to share expenses?
Me: Sure. The room can accommodate 2 guests. But it's just one queen bed so you'd have to share the bed.
Guest: I don't mind sharing.
Me: Okay. I just need to know the name of the other guest.
Guest: Oh. ... pause ... I'm coming up alone. I just thought maybe there was someone ....
Me: silence
(she ended up sharing with her 'cousin' ... maybe it was someone she met at the bus stop or airport, who knows?)
haha ... seashanty's supersaver surprise getaway ... bunk up with a complete stranger ... maybe you'll find love while saving money. wow.

Me: Sure. The room can accommodate 2 guests. But it's just one queen bed so you'd have to share the bed.
Guest: Oh. ... pause ... I'm coming up alone. I just thought maybe there was someone ....
(she ended up sharing with her 'cousin' ... maybe it was someone she met at the bus stop or airport, who knows?)
haha ... seashanty's supersaver surprise getaway ... bunk up with a complete stranger ... maybe you'll find love while saving money. wow..
She must have been reading some history books and thought a B & B was like the taverns/inns of old. They slept 3 & 4 to a bed then. Strange that she did not specify gender. Maybe she was hoping to "get lucky".

haha ... seashanty's supersaver surprise getaway ... bunk up with a complete stranger ... maybe you'll find love while saving money. wow..
seashanty said:
haha ... seashanty's supersaver surprise getaway ... bunk up with a complete stranger ... maybe you'll find love while saving money. wow.
Or, Seashanty's Youth Hostel.

seashanty said:
Love it !
tounge_smile.gif

Five minutes ago, I just got a phone call asking if they could host their prom here. Uhhhh.... I guess I'll give him the benefit of the doubt because he's only 17...

The one that always gets me is "I've just looked on your website and I see you are fully booked such-and-such-a-date but I thought I'd call anyway".
I've had this a couple of times......
Phone Caller: Do you have a room for the xth of nnn.
Me: Sorry, we're full that day
Phone Caller: Oh. How much do you charge?
Me: £x per person per night
Phone Caller: And how close to Loch Ness are you?
Me: It's at the bottom of our drive.
Phone Caller: ANd do you do evening meals?
Me: No, but the xxx Inn is 5 minutes walk down the road.
Phone Caller: Thanks, Bye.
What!!! WHat's the point of all the questions when we've already established that there are no rooms available on the required dates.

The one that always gets me is "I've just looked on your website and I see you are fully booked such-and-such-a-date but I thought I'd call anyway".
I've had this a couple of times......
Phone Caller: Do you have a room for the xth of nnn.
Me: Sorry, we're full that day
Phone Caller: Oh. How much do you charge?
Me: £x per person per night
Phone Caller: ANd do you do evening meals?
Me: No, but the xxx Inn is 5 minutes walk down the road.
Phone Caller: Thanks, Bye.
What!!! WHat's the point of all the questions when we've already established that there are no rooms available on the required dates..
Highlands John said:
I'll never forget my once-in-a-lifetime visit to Loch Ness in 1997. We'd driven all morning, finally reached Loch Ness. I stopped to get a photo at the first overlook we reached, where a lad in a kilt was playing his bagpipe for the tourists. That's when I realized that I'd left my camera and cell phone at the B&B in Fort William where we'd spent the previous night.
Had to turn around and drive all the way back to Ft. William and get the stuff. By then our schedule was wrecked so we had to drive on straight to Aberdeen, missing Loch Ness.
So I'm hoping to return some day and see the full Loch!

Ever have someone claim they saw something "on your website" that you know you in a million years never would have posted? I get this alot, actually. For instance: "You do have an iPod docking station in all the rooms, right?" "Acutally, we do not, but we do have DVD players in which you can play CDs!" "Oh. Well it said on your website that you did." Ummmm... what do you say? "No, it doesn't."? I know our website like the back of my tired old hand... and there's no way it says that there or on any of the satellite sites we're advertised on. Sometimes I just have to wonder if they're screwing with me...

Ever have someone claim they saw something "on your website" that you know you in a million years never would have posted? I get this alot, actually. For instance: "You do have an iPod docking station in all the rooms, right?" "Acutally, we do not, but we do have DVD players in which you can play CDs!" "Oh. Well it said on your website that you did." Ummmm... what do you say? "No, it doesn't."? I know our website like the back of my tired old hand... and there's no way it says that there or on any of the satellite sites we're advertised on. Sometimes I just have to wonder if they're screwing with me....
MorrisonEscape said:
Sometimes I just have to wonder if they're screwing with me...
They've been looking at numerous B&B websites lately and have confused you with someone else. It DOES get hard to keep them all straight. People these days will spend hours studying online before selecting a place to stay, and they get the different places mixed up.
Nah. They're probably just scewing with you.

Ever have someone claim they saw something "on your website" that you know you in a million years never would have posted? I get this alot, actually. For instance: "You do have an iPod docking station in all the rooms, right?" "Acutally, we do not, but we do have DVD players in which you can play CDs!" "Oh. Well it said on your website that you did." Ummmm... what do you say? "No, it doesn't."? I know our website like the back of my tired old hand... and there's no way it says that there or on any of the satellite sites we're advertised on. Sometimes I just have to wonder if they're screwing with me....
MorrisonEscape said:
"Oh. Well it said on your website that you did." Ummmm... what do you say?
Please send me the link... Someone must have hacked into my site just to ad that!
I have told them to provide me the link when they say this. Uusally it is due to them looking at many sites to the point they don't remember which one has what and they end up drawing straws to pick one - and you're it!!

Do you have a room for the weekend?
LSU?
Yes, I thought I had a room but they overbooked.
That is why you stay at a bed & breakfast, we do not overbook.
I know.
I am full but here is the number of a B & B that had rooms as of this morning..... (this is at least the 7th call I have given the number for other B & Bs. I hope they ALL fill!)

Caller: I'd like to buy a GC for a massage.
Me: This is a B&B, we don't have a spa here.
Caller: It's on your website that you do massages.
Me: How did you find that?
Caller: I did a search and found your blog and it says you do massages.
What the blog post says that the caller insists says I do massages is that guests can stay here for an event in town with the word 'spa' in the title of the event (which does not take place here at my B&B). Nowhere does it say that 'massages' are available here.
Caller: Well, where can I go to get a massage GC?
Me: Try this place and this place.
Caller: Which one is better?
Me: I don't know, I've never even been inside either of the places.
Caller: You're not much help are you.
Oddly, to get to my blog with details about the event, she had to scroll past Google Local with all of the massage therapists in town listed. Plus, 2 spas that actually massage.

Heavily accented caller: I would like a reservation.
Me: For when?
HAC: I have a baby.
Me: When do you need a room?
HAC: Tonight,
Me: Sorry, we have no rooms tonight. Let me give you a phone number for another B&B (spoken very slowly to caller)
HAC: 860...
Me: No, not your phone number. I will give you a phone number...
I give caller the phone number of another B&B. I assume my job is done. No, HAC, wife and baby just showed up at the door and said they had a rez here tonight. HAC and wife argue back and forth about who called here and when. I interrupt and ask if they made the rez at XYZ B&B? Yes! They did. I explain that's not where they are, give them a map, call the other B&B just in case and send them on their way.
I still am not sure if they really understand what happened. But, they are going to a good place, so all will work out.

Awright, so this was funny, to me. I did not say anything to the guest, but they could not for the life of them work out how to find our parking lot. On the confirmation, it states parking in rear, and on our sign out front. They must have gone around and around, somehow not seeing the giant sign, white fence and 4 other vehicles parked back there. It is not a secret, it is not hidden.
Now that is not the funny part, the funny part is after they checked in, they proceeded to talk to me about this really wild exotic hike they plan on taking.
Does anyone else find this humorous?

Joey Bloggs said:
We all get those calls where we pause and shake our heads. I had one this morning asking about the last room we have open this weekend (2 night min for a huge wine festival) and mentioned that if it would help us they could arrive Saturday morning instead of Friday night.
Huh?
Go ahead and share yours, you know you wanna!
Now isn't that bizzare. I've got a couple booked in for 4 nights from Saturday. She emailed me yesterday and said her boyfriend now has to work Saturday so they want to drive here SUnday morning and arrive in time for breakfast and still pay for the Saturday night. Never had that one before.

Back